The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Toyo VX23D digital view camera outfit for Fuji GFX 50R – ready to shoot

rdeloe

I can't believe this day has come, but I'm parting with my lovely Toyo VX23D. I'm selling the whole outfit. It's complete and ready to shoot if you have a GFX 50R and a suitable lens.

It really does work best with a GFX 50R because of the tiny grip on that camera, which allows it to sit close to the camera mounting board. You can't mount any other GFX camera using the camera mounting board I supply with the sale. It is easy to swap out the GFX 50R mount for one that will take a 100S or 50S/SII -- but you won't be thrilled with the lens choices. A full frame mirrorless camera could work too, depending on design. I make no promises. ;) I have very detailed setup instructions I can share with anyone who is curious about using one of these.

This is a one-of-a-kind VX23D because it has my axis tilt modification. I used one of these extensively with the stock base tilt mechanism, but it's a lot more pleasant to use with this simple axis tilt modification. In the picture below, you can see axis tilt in use with a Pentax-A 645 35/3.5. If you have a set of Pentax 645 lenses, you're good to go because the camera ships with a custom Pentax 645 adapter.

Details, including pictures and a full inventory of what's included in the sale, are available at the link below. I was going to duplicate all that information here, but I hope it's OK to just send you to that link. I'm more than happy to sell it to anyone via that eBay ad, but I'm also happy to chat about a direct sale (discounted of course).

Loads more information about this setup is available at my web site: https://www.robdeloephotography.com/Pages/Toyo-VX23D-and-Fuji-GFX-50R

Toyo VX23D axis tilt-06.jpg

Last edited:

rdeloe

Curious about which one you will switch to.;)
The switch happened back in April. I built a new camera using a Mamiya 645 Auto Bellows. It has all the movements on the front standard, which (to my surprise) has been quite workable. Its main plus for me is that this "MAB Camera" weighs 750 grams and is very tiny compared to my VX23D. I can move around in the field with the camera on the tripod, which is very handy. I carried VX23D outfits around on long hikes and rough terrain, and it worked well. But my back isn't getting stronger so lighter weight is now an issue.

The next step is to figure out the backup. I'm using this equipment for work projects, so I need a backup. I had two VX23D bodies, so I was well covered with that setup. I now have to decide if I'm going to build a second 750 g "MAB" camera, or buy into another system and use my MAB camera as the backup and "extra light weight" setup. Decisions decisions!