The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

X2D + new lenses: first impressions

Status
Not open for further replies.

hcubell

1. Ok, firstly there was a poster in an older thread with supposedly insider knowledge who got it first-hand that things are less than rosy at Hasselblad and that mood is down. This is an independent statement from mine, but just a side note
  2. I do have insider knowledge from other camera industry protagonisrs who have spoken to Hasselblad managers re joint projects who told them that all shots are called in China and that it not like in the old days
  3. Chris Cooze is an area sales manager - ofc you don't fire long-time people from the sales org. They are super valuable, no matter who owns the company and comparatively cheap as the base is usually not so high with a bit of commission on top; if you work in sales you don't go into photography. Also they have nowhere to run. If you have been selling digital backs since the last 20 years chances are you are going to continue to do it ...
    1. We didnt see any Swedish top management or top engineering person present the camera
    2. It is clear that the sales guy is sent around conferences the weeks post announcement to explain the camera - doesn't say anything whatsoever about who calls the shots
  4. Now onto Asia nexus:
    1. Very first leaks were shared on Weibo and included production line part shots - ie housing, etc.
    2. Then we had few more leaks with lens, etc. also from China
    3. First brochure leak came out of China followed by full hands-on pics from people handling the camera in a car with a clear Asian city in the background
    4. DJI is a technology giant with a focus on image capture - they bought Hassy when they were struggling to get the brand name and related IP (designs, canera building know-how, etc.)
    5. It is widely known that China's blueprint for economic growth is to assimilate Western technology by M&A; on the flipside China is continuously making it more difficult to acquire Chinese companies as foreigner as basically they are closing shop again.
    6. Shenzen, the HQ of DJI, is the silicon valley of China with the biggest tech manufacturing know how and capacities - they can produce at a fraction of the cost anything which can be produced in Sweden which has one of the highest salaries in Europe - the camera costs 8k, incl. dealer margins - makes sense to produce it in Asia
    7. The camera is well made and has advanced tech components such a a great EVF and 1TB SSD - this is the stuff DJI knows in and out from their drone business

To me it makes sense that manufacturing is done mostly in China with assembly of parts and color sensor calibration in Sweden (ie setting GAIN files to a standard).

Pls. let me know what's flawed in my assumption that this camera is produced in Asia and calibrated in Sweden? Ofc happy to learn otherwise and I am clearly saying this is all based on an assumption derived from the above observed points which make it hard for me to believe that Hasselblad today is completely independent with DJI just providing financial support ...

Not that any of this matters from a photographic perspective - it is a great camera!
All of this speculation only serves to confirm that you actually have no actual information at all as to the FACTS on who did what and where to produce the X2D. There is a not so well hidden agenda behind all of this rather pointless speculation, but I think it best for me not to respond to speculation with further speculation about motive.

Paul Spinnler

Howard

There's no agenda other than being aware that production of high end camera systems is wandering off to the East. I am just against romanticising Asian foreign investment as it leads to a position where know-how and valuable skills get lost in the place where the company was initially founded.

When have I said that I have FACTS? You trying to make a point that I supposedly said I know things for a FACT although I don't - on which basis is that statement made? I have always made it crystal clear upon which observations and experience factors I have derived my view. I am not here to invent things, but to put observations into context - you can for yourself decide what you want to believe.

You can insinuate what you want, but I can tell you I am totally independent and choose my equipment based on useability and intangibles such as design in as second order consideration on where it was made which ties into working conditions, share of profits, etc.

Finally, I have multiple times stated that the new Hassy itself seems like a very enticing camera - only reason why I haven't yet pulled the trigger on it myself is that I am invested in other systems (ie glass) and I don't really need another camera.

Are any of the points I stated not facts that lead to a plausible conclusion? So you are saying we see production line leaks out of China via Weibo while still being produced in Gotheborg? You think DJI bought Hasselblad to just have a good financial investment in Europe that they check in on once a year when annual results are in?

C'mon.

And stop insinuating that I have a "hidden agenda" - if so, pls. name which one it would be besides the one I stated above.

Last edited:

tcdeveau

getting the two new lenses this week, 38 & 55. planning to shoot the set a lot this weekend
I'm definitely intrigued by the new lenses. The 90 is on my radar for sure! Looking forward to hearing what you have to say re: 38 and 55.

To me it makes sense that manufacturing is done mostly in China with assembly of parts and color sensor calibration in Sweden (ie setting GAIN files to a standard).

Not that any of this matters from a photographic perspective - it is a great camera!
Thats how it’s always worked. Hasselblad has never had any in-house production.

strohscw

I never used GPS and I am absolut happy with my X2D and do see no need for the new lenses, they don´t fit into my lineup and I don´t want to change them all.

Geoff

I never used GPS and I am absolut happy with my X2D and do see no need for the new lenses, they don´t fit into my lineup and I don´t want to change them all.
Which lenses are you using? And how do you find the improvement of the X2D over the X1D with the older lenses? The IBIS is really attractive....

anGy

Like strohscw said, but I'll quickly admit that the new, gorgeous looking, lighter, faster lenses are temping.
What refrains me from switching right away is more on the bokeh IQ side of the 55mm.
From the too few samples picks I saw there's maybe some ugly things going on there.
I wouldn't order it before seeing more / testing it myself.

strohscw

Which lenses are you using? And how do you find the improvement of the X2D over the X1D with the older lenses? The IBIS is really attractive....
I am using the following XCD lenses: 30, 45p, 90, 135+TC and am very happy with its image quality on the X2D.
The lenses are focusing faster, the sound is the same of course. What I love is the IBIS, opens a new field for me. And also with the much better viewfinder it is so much easier to manual focus third party lenses like Leica M and Canon ts-e.
The only thing I am really missing is the easy access to the custom profiles I would prefer to be able to select them via the M button.
But this will not keep me from taking wonderful images with this camera.

Photon42

On the back LCD? Yes, but the orientation is correct if viewed on the computer. This is done to maximise the estate for the photo. The X2D also has a built-in bubble level.

Chris C

The files, so far, are just plain boring. They have all I need. All the color. All the data. And with the Leica M lenses..... all the sharpness......
I have goofed up with the electronic shutter several times. Originally I was using the camera in 16bit mode ................
Some cons, ....... the lack of built-in Instagram Hotspot waypoints and .......
Hi – My first post in this particular forum, and it's a tired one from wasting my time for hour upon hour and surviving rehashed Hasselblad press releases presented as 'articles,' and numerous uninformative videos in the hell-hole of Youtub. Today I finally unearthed information that the format masks are excluded in the X2D as is a live histogram; but are they excluded or simply late for the launch? Can I work as I need without live histogram? Dunno. But the format masks are essential for me [5x4, 1x1, .....] their disappearance are deal breakers and my heart sank at my discovery. I've been this road of 'it'll be sorted in a future update' with Leica [it wasn't] and I'm surprised at this thread's sanguine thinking that 'it will all be corrected later'. I have not unearthed a statement from Hasselblad which suggests format mask inclusion, or mention of a live histogram. Do you guys know something different?

'Postman' –––– You've shot with Leica M lenses; so without format masking and delivering image circle clip? I'd be grateful for your feedback and the likely coverage of the square and 5x4 [ratio] coverage, and also your further experience of electronic shutter with adapted lenses outside a studio setting.

Sorry if I've rambled; I'm exhausted and regret not making this forum my first port of call ––– [sorry Guy].

............ Chris

Photon42

The easy answer is: it is what it is. It is correct - there are no digital format masks and no live histogram on X2D at this point in time. If any of that is a deal breaker for you, don't buy the camera.

Will these features be included in a future firmware update? The masks probably yes, because it is a no-brainer to implement, does not need additional hardware, is requested by many and it was present in the X1D.
For the live histogram I am not that optimistic. It has never been in any Hasselblad camera and I have no idea what stops them to implement it. Maybe a precision thing, in the sense that it will not reflect the full raw sensor read-out.
I used cameras since the early eighties and I do not really care that much about histograms when taking photos. In my use cases, I can well estimate what will happen in most cases using exposure data. On the tripod, an extra shot costs nothing and gives me a histogram, probably based on correct data. YMMV.

gme2815

I'm thinking of getting the X2D, but let's face it, it's an effing silly camera. I mean, I'll spend over 20K. For 20k, I could shoot roughly 500 8x10 sheets of film. So, maybe it's a bargain. However, the 8x10 would look way better. But 8x10 film cameras have no live histogram, so... And you have to crop the 8x10 images manually if you want a different aspect ratio, or I guess you slap some tape on the ground glass, so that's a deal breaker. Oh, and the autofocus sucks royally on an 8x10 camera. I mean, it's this big, cumbersome contraption that you have to feed and clothe. It gets old and arthritic. It wheezes and hacks and gets back pain and is often grouchy. It's the worst autofocus system I've ever seen. Compared to that, the X2D is a freaking miracle, so I'll be happy to spend the large pile of Benjamins needed. Who wouldn't be?

hcubell

Just know that the X2D does not feature a live histogram ;)
His post is difficult to follow, but I think he is a Fuji GFX fan trying to make a tongue in cheek critique of the X2D because it does NOT have a live histogram, selectable crop modes, and a great AF system. Damn, without those features, I can't see how I will ever be able to make a properly exposed and focused photograph with my X2D. What a waste of money. I wish he could have warned me in advance!

msstudio

Although I ordered one when it became clear that this is coming out, I still have not received my camera or lenses that I would like. I guess that worldwide demand is just unexpected…but I handled one earlier today, and coming from the H6 and X1DII, I have to say it hits my marks of improvement. I was/am wavering getting into Fuji’s offerings, but I don’t need to many lenses and shooting strobe frequently, the central shutter being key, the X2D is a nice upgrade that might just tilt my decision to this camera. The AF was great, everything felt way more responsive… and I know, that a lot of people love the internal storage, but when you shoot higher volume, or travel, I love removable storage…anyways, my 10min with the X2D had me convinced that the Hasselblad is the way to go. I just hope, DJI is keeping them alive for the decades to come…

Status
Not open for further replies.