The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

X2D + new lenses: first impressions

Status
Not open for further replies.

hcubell

Why did they release this camera without a "live" histogram? Per Jim Kasson.
Neither the X1D nor the X1DII has a live histogram, and I have no insight as to why. Will it appear in the future? Who knows? However, the X2D has a number of things that the Fuji GFX 100S does not have that apparently outweigh any disadvantage from not having a live view histogram for those that are buying the X2Ds, despite the higher price. I am inclined to believe that they know what they are doing. Like everything in life, there are plusses and minuses to both camera systems, so different photographers will weigh those plusses and minuses against each other and figure out what works best for them.

jng

I just received the 55 XCD-V lens and ran some quick tests on, well, the cats and the dog using my first-generation X1D (still waiting for my X2D to arrive). The engineering on the lens is impressive - the focus and shutter are nearly silent (I had to check to make sure I actually made a shot the first time I pressed the shutter release). Focus may be a bit snappier as well, with movement of the lens elements barely detectable. More testing is required but heaven help me the engineering and rendering of this lens already has me thinking of replacing my 3.2/90 with the new 2.5/90 when it becomes available.

Preliminary results on the cats show excellent sharpness on center but significant fringing on the whiskers in bright light when shooting wide open that Phocus was only partially able to correct. Here's a somewhat dreamy image of my sweet dog relaxing in the late afternoon sun (shot wide open at f/2.5):

10-13-22_X1D_4996-1-FrameShop_1.jpg

John

P.S. I actually like the ergonomics of the new lens cap. The clasp mechanism is easy to grab onto and also easy to reach with the hood mounted.

jaree

There is plenty to complain about anything new that comes out. The biggest thing for me in favor of the X2D vs GFX100/S is that my XCD lenses work very well on the former :)

I was expecting a few hiccups but X2D has been surprisingly rock solid during my 10 day Colorado road trip. No freezes, waking up from sleep always worked (unlike my M11) and the write speeds are blazing fast. IBIS is like a secret angel steadying your hand even at very low shutter speeds. I used a 512GB OWC CF express type B card for backup - a warning came up about compatibility but no issues in read/writes.

Very fluid camera for my needs, just gets out of the way and delivers results as expected. Compose, shoot, ready for next shot. As simple as that and I like it.

Chris C

..... correct - there are no digital format masks and no live histogram on X2D at this point in time.....

......future firmware update? The masks probably yes....... a no-brainer to implement.... requested by many ........ live histogram I am not that optimistic............... I have no idea what stops them to implement it......I used cameras since the early eighties and I do not really care that much about histograms when taking photos. ........
Thank you for your feedback it is appreciated and helpful. I've been photographing seriously since the early seventies and have known many adjustments to my working methods so I can do it again of course; but I thrived on working with the live histogram in my Leica, working without will be a backward step. Having done lots of research since posting my query I tend to agree that a Hasselblad without [at least] a square format option would be a 'no-brainer' [and given their origin – a bit heretical]. I've naturally considered Fuji [I used to work with their 6x9 rangefinder which rendered fabulously], but the X2D is going to be my next workhorse.

...... it's this big, cumbersome contraption that you have to feed and clothe. It gets old and arthritic. It wheezes and hacks and gets back pain and is often grouchy...........
That's me! Do we know each other?

........... Chris

spb

Staff member
You say that DJI had little or or no role in the X2D project. Another person stated in this forum that DJI did everything and slapped the Hasselblad name on it. I do not believe that either statement is based upon actual knowledge, but please correct me if I am wrong. Oh, and AFAIK, the lenses are still made by Nittoh in Japan. Do you know based upon reliable information that Nittoh is no longer manufacturing the lenses in collaboration with Hasselblad's lens design team?
Also it clearly is seen on the camera 'handmade in sweden'!

spb

Staff member
There is plenty to complain about anything new that comes out. The biggest thing for me in favor of the X2D vs GFX100/S is that my XCD lenses work very well on the former :)

I was expecting a few hiccups but X2D has been surprisingly rock solid during my 10 day Colorado road trip. No freezes, waking up from sleep always worked (unlike my M11) and the write speeds are blazing fast. IBIS is like a secret angel steadying your hand even at very low shutter speeds. I used a 512GB OWC CF express type B card for backup - a warning came up about compatibility but no issues in read/writes.

Very fluid camera for my needs, just gets out of the way and delivers results as expected. Compose, shoot, ready for next shot. As simple as that and I like it.
Interesting about the card I bought a AV Pro SE CF Express B from Angelbird. No such compatibility warning.

jduncan

1. Ok, firstly there was a poster in an older thread with supposedly insider knowledge who got it first-hand that things are less than rosy at Hasselblad and that mood is down. This is an independent statement from mine, but just a side note
  2. I do have insider knowledge from other camera industry protagonisrs who have spoken to Hasselblad managers re joint projects who told them that all shots are called in China and that it not like in the old days
  3. Chris Cooze is an area sales manager - ofc you don't fire long-time people from the sales org. They are super valuable, no matter who owns the company and comparatively cheap as the base is usually not so high with a bit of commission on top; if you work in sales you don't go into photography. Also they have nowhere to run. If you have been selling digital backs since the last 20 years chances are you are going to continue to do it ...
    1. We didnt see any Swedish top management or top engineering person present the camera
    2. It is clear that the sales guy is sent around conferences the weeks post announcement to explain the camera - doesn't say anything whatsoever about who calls the shots
  4. Now onto Asia nexus:
    1. Very first leaks were shared on Weibo and included production line part shots - ie housing, etc.
    2. Then we had few more leaks with lens, etc. also from China
    3. First brochure leak came out of China followed by full hands-on pics from people handling the camera in a car with a clear Asian city in the background
    4. DJI is a technology giant with a focus on image capture - they bought Hassy when they were struggling to get the brand name and related IP (designs, canera building know-how, etc.)
    5. It is widely known that China's blueprint for economic growth is to assimilate Western technology by M&A; on the flipside China is continuously making it more difficult to acquire Chinese companies as foreigner as basically they are closing shop again.
    6. Shenzen, the HQ of DJI, is the silicon valley of China with the biggest tech manufacturing know how and capacities - they can produce at a fraction of the cost anything which can be produced in Sweden which has one of the highest salaries in Europe - the camera costs 8k, incl. dealer margins - makes sense to produce it in Asia
    7. The camera is well made and has advanced tech components such a a great EVF and 1TB SSD - this is the stuff DJI knows in and out from their drone business

To me it makes sense that manufacturing is done mostly in China with assembly of parts and color sensor calibration in Sweden (ie setting GAIN files to a standard).

Pls. let me know what's flawed in my assumption that this camera is produced in Asia and calibrated in Sweden? Ofc happy to learn otherwise and I am clearly saying this is all based on an assumption derived from the above observed points which make it hard for me to believe that Hasselblad today is completely independent with DJI just providing financial support ...

Not that any of this matters from a photographic perspective - it is a great camera!
Why will you be happy to learn otherwise? all of this speculation is basically classisms not to use the other stronger word.
Frankly, I don't see the point. The camera said made in Sweden, maybe you are correct, and assembled in Sweden is a better description.
But all you said is speculation, for example, it could be exactly the other way around with software being done in China and Japan and that is the reason for the leaks.
I care that it does not have GPS, but I don't care if Chinese, Swedish, or Indian hands build my products.

Best regards,

Paul Spinnler

Why will you be happy to learn otherwise? all of this speculation is basically classisms not to use the other stronger word.
Frankly, I don't see the point. The camera said made in Sweden, maybe you are correct, and assembled in Sweden is a better description.
But all you said is speculation, for example, it could be exactly the other way around with software being done in China and Japan and that is the reason for the leaks.
I care that it does not have GPS, but I don't care if Chinese, Swedish, or Indian hands build my products.

Best regards,
I don't want to get too political now, but I do care which company owns an iconic brand like Hasselblad and who manufactures something. Not because of the "Chinese, Swedish or Indian HAND" (ie race, etc.), but because of the ties of the company, its behaviour, etc.

I am sure that you are aware that DJI has been blacklisted by the DoJ for:

“Activities contrary to U.S. foreign policy interests. Specifically, these four entities have enabled wide-scale human rights abuses within China through abusive genetic collection and analysis or high-technology surveillance, and/or facilitated the export of items by China that aid repressive regimes around the world, contrary to U.S. foreign policy interests.”

The reason why globalization led to the world we live in now is that most of the time people precisely just care about whether it has GPS or not or whether the price point is good or not. The rest is ignored.

So beautiful the packaging of the Hassy may be, the profits go into the pockets of DJI, ultimately, and it is in my humble opinion worth spending a thought on the company itself too when reading such things.

Maybe this is just my view, but it bothers me when I see such news flow around the owners of Hasselblad. As said, I am fully aware that most people couldn't care less.

Last edited:

drevil

Staff member
I think production of components is in Shenzen
My god why cant people get it right to spell the name of this city correctly?
Its shenzhen!

even my local boss, who is in china for like 18 years, does it wrong, although when he writes it i think he does it right, but pronounciation is horrible.

Here is a good sound file
Pronounciation

now back to the main topic ;)

Paul Spinnler

My god why cant people get it right to spell the name of this city correctly?
Its shenzhen!

even my local boss, who is in china for like 18 years, does it wrong, although when he writes it i think he does it right, but pronounciation is horrible.

Here is a good sound file
Pronounciation

now back to the main topic ;)
Point taken!

MGrayson

Subscriber and Workshop Member
Oh, Department of Defense, not Department of Justice. Big difference.

Not that I want to get the last word in, but I think this thread should be locked down ASAP.

hcubell

I don't want to get too political now, but I do care which company owns an iconic brand like Hasselblad and who manufactures something. Not because of the "Chinese, Swedish or Indian HAND" (ie race, etc.), but because of the ties of the company, its behaviour, etc.

I am sure that you are aware that DJI has been blacklisted by the DoJ for:

“Activities contrary to U.S. foreign policy interests. Specifically, these four entities have enabled wide-scale human rights abuses within China through abusive genetic collection and analysis or high-technology surveillance, and/or facilitated the export of items by China that aid repressive regimes around the world, contrary to U.S. foreign policy interests.”

The reason why globalization led to the world we live in now is that most of the time people precisely just care about whether it has GPS or not or whether the price point is good or not. The rest is ignored.

So beautiful the packaging of the Hassy may be, the profits go into the pockets of DJI, ultimately, and it is in my humble opinion worth spending a thought on the company itself too when reading such things.

Maybe this is just my view, but it bothers me when I see such news flow around the owners of Hasselblad. As said, I am fully aware that most people couldn't care less.
Please just stop. This forum is a very constructive place for serious, thoughtful, and capable medium format photographers where we try help each other and share our experiences. If you want to see what the alternative looks like, just visit the DP Review Medium Format Forum and you can join in the incessant sniping and mindless brand wars. To me, it's not pretty.

Status
Not open for further replies.