The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

New Camera Forums for GetDPI - dpreview closing its doors

Tim

Hi,

With dpreview.com closing its doors I'd like to propose to GetDPI Forum owners to open Sigma and Ricoh (for the GR) forums. or Ricoh/Pentax
Additionally there is already a fairly long GR images thread to move.
A Sigma forum would see their cameras and lenses get representation and for a manufacture or their level I think they deserve a space.
Sure some of Sigma crosses into L-Mount but they do have their own historical mount.

I think it will see some new accounts and activity from ex-dpreview members, its an opportunity for GetDPI to raise its readership.

Thank you for considering.

see; https://www.dpreview.com/news/5901145460/dpreview-com-to-close

Tim

Last edited:

Tim

Really the existing Pentax forum just needs renaming to Ricoh / Pentax and the Ricoh GR thread of photos in Other Cameras could be moved.

KC_2020

Yes I'm afraid that's been the case for some time now. Unless the forum breaks and goes down, which happened a couple of times last year, nobody pays any attention.

Reactions: Tim

Knorp

Please keep in mind there is a lot of work behind the scenes to make sure everything works everyday ... :)

KC_2020

Please keep in mind there is a lot of work behind the scenes to make sure everything works everyday ... :)
If that's true then it's concerning.

XenForo, which is what we're in at GetDPI is popular because it can be self-hosted and is affordable. Once it's set up unless it's deprived of resources (sufficient processor power, RAM and disk space) it should run hands off. Hence the lack of response to Tim's post and attempt to contact staff.

I ran a vBulletin forum that hosted online classes for a graduate institute, a few thousand students and faculty, for a decade. vBulletin is the reference in the industry and far more feature rich and complicated than XenForo. So I know what I'm talking about :)

KC_2020

It's because Spam is a serious problem.
Don't allow new registers users to post without an admin authorizing their account. If after authorization they post SPAM you close their account, remove their posts and blacklist their IP. Been there, done that. A couple of minutes per new user. 15min a day, 30min at most.

dj may

I eventually removed the registration page from my website because of spammers. They could only request to register, not self-register. I could tell from email addresses that the majority were spammers, and it was not worth the effort to monitor.

Now, I only register select people, who have a reason to see non-public content.

I understand if the owner of this site is reluctant to encourage dpr audience. I would advise him to be very careful and not rush into it.

Tim

I eventually removed the registration page from my website because of spammers. They could only request to register, not self-register. I could tell from email addresses that the majority were spammers, and it was not worth the effort to monitor.

Now, I only register select people, who have a reason to see non-public content.

I understand if the owner of this site is reluctant to encourage dpr audience. I would advise him to be very careful and not rush into it.
Many of the DPR audience are quite reasonable to converse with, this site could benefit from some new voices and the spammers are easy to vet as KC_2020 points out.
I think it an opportunity to revive this site.

What surprises me is the total lack of even a no or yes from any mod or owner on my question only crickets.

Knorp

Many of the DPR audience are quite reasonable to converse with, this site could benefit from some new voices and the spammers are easy to vet as KC_2020 points out.
I think it an opportunity to revive this site.

What surprises me is the total lack of even a no or yes from any mod or owner on my question only crickets.
Hi Tim, any news yet from the crickets ?

🦗 🦗 🦗

olafphoto

Administrator
Staff member
Yes I'm afraid that's been the case for some time now. Unless the forum breaks and goes down, which happened a couple of times last year, nobody pays any attention.
responded to Tim. We are considering the idea but no decision yet