The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Search results

1. Lisa

Ilford Gold Fibre Silk won't feed straight!

Thanks for your comments, turtle. The bad skew only happens for 13"x19" paper (A3+), not for letter-size (about A4) paper. Those are the only two sizes I use. I found that the rear feed produces minimal skew, but it misfeeds much more often. That's what I've taken to doing, however, and I...
  2. Lisa

Ilford Gold Fibre Silk won't feed straight!

I've had this problem for years with my 3800 and 3880, with GFS (even with a brand-new printer). Every so often I ask for suggestions in online fora, and noone ever has any useful answers. The skew is quite consistent. I've just learned to trim the edges with a paper cutter afterwards. A...
  3. Lisa

Sony NEX-7 for Infrared Photography

At lifepixel. I was extremely happy with their customer service; I had a few email exchanges with someone there before I had it done to make sure it was a good camera for it (the answer was yes, very) and got intelligent thorough responses from them. Lisa
  4. Lisa

Any good printer ink supplier recommendations?

Atlex & inkjetart Lisa
  5. Lisa

Hehe, Xmas wishes - NEX7 upgrade from today

Thanks, Simon. Good to know. Lisa
  6. Lisa

Hehe, Xmas wishes - NEX7 upgrade from today

A question...does updating the firmware set all the various custom settings back to their factory defaults, or does the camera retain all the previously-user-set settings? (I spent quite some time working out the various settings for me, and would hate to have to do it all again...) Thanks, Lisa
  7. Lisa

Sony NEX-7 for Infrared Photography

After switching from a Nikon DSLR to a Sony NEX-7, I got a second one and had it converted for infrared photography. I was surprised by how much better it works than my old IR-converted DSLR! Because of the mechanics of how the Sony focusses, it focusses properly in IR, unlike my old DSLR...
  8. Lisa

Beijing!

I'm afraid I'm no help to you on that question. I stayed at the Hyatt.....:D Lisa P.S. If you feel like splurging for a good reason, I'd heard that the "Made in China" restaurant in the Hyatt has some of the best Peking Duck in town, so I tried it, and it was indeed far better than any I've...
  9. Lisa

Beijing!

One photography suggestion...just behind the Forbidden City there's a park on a hill (I think there's a very small entrance fee) that has a great view down into the Forbidden City. If you like interesting architecture (for photographing or just looking at), take the subway to the Olympic area...
  10. Lisa

Leapmotion...

Cool, but what keeps you from having something unpredictable happen whenever you absentmindedly scratch your nose or something? Lisa
  11. Lisa

Any comments on Slovenia?

Hello Santo - No, we didn't get to Ljubljana. We would have had to omit something else from the trip, and we're more outdoorsy people than city people, so that was the thing we decided to omit. We'll probably get back one of these days... We saw Plitvice Lakes on an earlier trip to just...
  12. Lisa

Any comments on Slovenia?

Thanks, Marmil, but you're a little late! I went to Slovenia about a year ago (my original post date was February of last year), and enjoyed it a great deal. I ended up seeing caves, Lake Bled, hikes in the Julian Alps, and a few castles and historic small towns. Pictures here, if you're...
  13. Lisa

IR conversion musings

I wasn't sure whether polarizers would do anything useful in IR, so just wanted to keep my options open. I spent a couple of years using external filters with a previous camera, and don't ever want to go back. It was a pain - need long exposures, need a tripod, can't see through the viewfinder...
  14. Lisa

IR conversion musings

I'm planning to get a Sony NEX-7 converted to do infrared (IR) photography by lifepixel, who did the conversion on my Nikon DSLR several years ago. Now they have, in addition to the previous full-time-IR conversions, a "full spectrum conversion", in which they remove all filtering in front of...
  15. Lisa

NEX-7 IR?

Thanks, Carl. Glad it works well. Where did you get it converted? Lisa
  16. Lisa

NEX-7 IR?

Has anyone here gotten their NEX-7 (or NEX-5, for that matter) converted to full-time infrared? How has that worked out for you? Lisa
  17. Lisa

Just saw this on printing and resolution. Brilliant.

Another thanks for the link - excellent article. Lisa
  18. Lisa

weird lens problem...

Thanks for the suggestion, Lars. It should have occurred to me to check whether autofocus was the issue, but I didn't know that could be affected by focal length. That does appears to be the problem; it does work in manual-focus mode. Even when it works with autofocus at slightly less wide...
  19. Lisa

weird lens problem...

Has anyone here heard of this one before? I have the Nikkor 18-200 DX lens (used on a D300), and recently it won't take the picture when the lens is at the 18mm end. It autofocusses, but nothing more happens when I press the shutter button; no picture taken. When the lens is extended even a...
  20. Lisa

From m43 back to APSC Anyone?

I got a MFT awhile back to replace my APS DSLR (for its smaller size & weight), but found that the dynamic range just wasn't good enough for my purposes. Because of the smaller sensor, when skies weren't blown out, the shadows were considerably darker, and correspondingly noisier if one tried...