The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Search results

1. dchew

Rodenstock 100mm HR Digaron-S

I forgot there were two posts in that thread I linked above. Here is the first post, which is on the previous page of the same thread: https://www.getdpi.com/forum/index.php?threads/90mm-4-5-apo-digitar.47808/post-786076
  2. dchew

Depending on how big of an image circle you need and how picky you are, I would say the sk90 is quite good for its size and weight. I eventually sold the Rodi 90hr-sw even though it is sharper out beyond 90mm. I've heard the sk100 is slightly better. Based on the data sheets you can find in my...
  3. dchew

I found a few images. Posted them on dropbox here: Rodi 100s Again, my copy was suspect. You can see it at the bottom of the vertical images and the left side of the horizontal image. As for the comparison of the sk90 vs Rodi90hr-sw, I had them both for a while. I had the 90hr-sw but was very...
  4. dchew

Hey Vieri, I started with the 100hr-s around 2010/2011. From what I remember: The image circle was bigger than stated. I swear I could shift 18mm horizontally with that lens, which would be a 98mm image circle. I will search for some old files to verify that. According to the data sheet here...
  5. dchew

Thinking about GFX

That is close to my original second option. I think that’s an excellent approach, if not the best approach. Certainly Kevin Raber follows something similar and he has a bunch of experience down there. Wildlife is less of a focus for me, although I will probably come back wishing it was more. I...
  6. dchew

Thinking about GFX

I really appreciate everyone's input, both on this thread and behind the scenes. This forum remains a wonderful place. The best resource for honest feedback from great contributors without most of the noise. Been that way since I stumbled in here in 2010. Thank you! An update on my current...
  7. dchew

Medium Format Ultralight Hiking Kit

The Center Column reviewed a few Sirui tripods: https://thecentercolumn.com/tripod-reviews/sirui/sirui-t-025x-test-results/ https://thecentercolumn.com/tripod-reviews/sirui/ You can search on the home page and several pop up. Dave
  8. dchew

The R5 is still 738 grams without a lens; 50r is 775. Doesn't save much weight, but I suppose it saves a lot of dollars assuming you already have it. Dave
  9. dchew

No, you're not! I am just as ridiculous as you in that regard, if not more so. I've been crying from the hilltop for a while now that a medium format kit can be as light as most "full frame" kits out there, especially when you require the best glass to be included in the FF kits. The trick is...
  10. dchew

Yeah auto focus lenses, especially fast ones, add up the pounds quickly. Dave
  11. dchew

I've been trying to do that for years! The problem is the digital back. All the Phase backs are in the ~700 gram range. Here is the best I can do with the svelte TC at 220 grams with the smallest tripod mount I can find. All the other Cambo's, Alpa's and A/S Factums will be heavier. Still 1700...
  12. dchew

Even the RRS-14 won't get you there @ 1116 grams. You still need a head. The BH-25 is 148 grams, totaling 1264 grams. Not any better than what you have. The 40-70 zoom is a little lighter than the 30 and supposedly pretty good. 390 grams instead of 510. Or the small 50mm @ 335 grams. Other...
  13. dchew

Switching to Alpa

Since the other thread topic was about Cambo, I moved my response to your Alpa question here. Short barrel vs long barrel: Long barrel lenses mount onto the camera without any additional adapters. The adapters are really just spacers like what we call "extension tubes" in 35mm camera land...
  14. dchew

Options to mount lenses for Cambo

I moved my response here since we have gone off topic https://www.getdpi.com/forum/index.php?threads/switching-to-alpa.71990/post-863975 Dave
  15. dchew

Switching to Alpa

You cannot gain horizontal shift with the 17ts adapter. Yes, the tilt/swing adapter tilts in all four positions, and it can tilt/swing the lens or the back. The tilt/swing adapter has no movements other than tilt or swing. All shift movements are built into the bodies. The SWA only shifts in one...
  16. dchew

Options to mount lenses for Cambo

I don't think Alpa ever mounted the 65, so they probably don't have any drawings or dimensions. I've found them very helpful in the past when trying to accomplish unique things, so you might try them directly. They should at least be able to tell you the distance from the front mounting face of...
  17. dchew

Thinking about GFX

Oops I guess the 1.4 extender doesn’t work with the 110. Still might be good option.
  18. dchew

Thinking about GFX

Roger, I forgot about Michael's monopod; thank you for that. The problem I have with renting is that I fly out on 11-Dec and back 1-Jan. Including a few days before, I will have to rent stuff for ~24 days. Might make sense for the 250. Lensrentals is $676 for (4) weeks, or ~ 20% of new. Since I...
  19. dchew

Thinking about GFX

Greetings! I have been invited on a cruise around South America and Antarctica this coming December. As most of you know I'm a dyed in the wool tech camera user. I'm pretty sure that won't work too well on the ship unless someone knows of a tripod with IBIS. So I have two options: First is to...
  20. dchew

Professor Grayson ad-libs an explanation of tilt and shift

Hi Matt, Wonderful video. Relaxed, educational and entertaining. I just finished the next article that covers movements. Should publish in a few weeks. I wish I kept it simple but alas, I made it into partial differential equations. Regardless, I like to think all efforts to explain this stuff...