The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Search results

1. Lisa

Sony NEX-7 for Infrared Photography

After switching from a Nikon DSLR to a Sony NEX-7, I got a second one and had it converted for infrared photography. I was surprised by how much better it works than my old IR-converted DSLR! Because of the mechanics of how the Sony focusses, it focusses properly in IR, unlike my old DSLR...
  2. Lisa

IR conversion musings

I'm planning to get a Sony NEX-7 converted to do infrared (IR) photography by lifepixel, who did the conversion on my Nikon DSLR several years ago. Now they have, in addition to the previous full-time-IR conversions, a "full spectrum conversion", in which they remove all filtering in front of...
  3. Lisa

NEX-7 IR?

Has anyone here gotten their NEX-7 (or NEX-5, for that matter) converted to full-time infrared? How has that worked out for you? Lisa
  4. Lisa

weird lens problem...

Has anyone here heard of this one before? I have the Nikkor 18-200 DX lens (used on a D300), and recently it won't take the picture when the lens is at the 18mm end. It autofocusses, but nothing more happens when I press the shutter button; no picture taken. When the lens is extended even a...
  5. Lisa

current guidance for using camera profiles in ACR?

I use ACR for raw conversion (associated with CS5). Up to a couple of years ago, I used to generate my own camera profiles using my shot of a Gretag-Macbeth color chart and the Chromoholics automated script. Since upgrading to CS5, however, my old profiles don't seem to work as well as they...
  6. Lisa

technology for recharging camera batteries away from electric power

In a few months, my spouse is taking a two-week guided camping tour in the Nepalese Himalayas, and will be bringing my camera (a Nikon D300). The problem is, he doesn't know whether there will be any facilities for recharging camera batteries (and, knowing him, he will probably be clicking like...
  7. Lisa

Any comments on Slovenia?

I'm spending about a week vacationing in Slovenia this May, and am thinking about exactly where to go there. I definitely want to see some of the caves in the Karst region, but does anyone here have any other suggestions? Lisa
  8. Lisa

Nik Silver Efex Pro question...

I just got Silver Efex Pro, and have a problem with it. (I emailed Nik tech support almost a week ago, but haven't gotten a response yet, so I'm trying here.) From within CS5, I open SEP, tweak the image to my liking, and then click the "OK" button. However, my changes don't show up in the...
  9. Lisa

CF -> iPod???

A possibly stupid i-thingie question... I just got an iPod touch with 64 gig of memory to take on airline flights, and it occurred to me that 64 gig can back up plenty of photos. Is there any way, with some extra cabling or small hardware, to back up photos from a DSLR and/or its CF card to...
  10. Lisa

Stupid Photoshop Question

I just upgraded to CS5, and there's something I can't figure out. In my previous version of CS, I had created a number of different sets of custom print settings for each of the papers and page sizes I use. (Each set of custom print settings includes paper size, orientation, media type, etc...
  11. Lisa

Photos from the Dolomites

Life has been busy lately, and I've only now gotten around to finishing my photos taken on vacation in the Dolomites of northern Italy last summer. Not many Americans seem to know much about them, but they are some of the most spectacular mountains I've ever seen (and I've seen a lot:D). The...
  12. Lisa

better GH1 manual or tutorial?

Me again... I'm going through the manual that came with my new Panasonic GH1, and am finding it to be poorly organized, poorly indexed, and lacking sufficiently detailed descriptions of what some of the options do and when you would want to use them (for example, "auto ISO" versus "intelligent...
  13. Lisa

Micro 4/3 GH1/14-140 comparison with Nikon D300/18-200VR

I just bought a Panasonic GH1 (micro 4/3) kit with the 14-140 lens as a possible smaller and lighter alternative to my Nikon D300 with the Nikon 18-200 VR lens (similar zoom range after accounting for sensor size), and took both to Yosemite over last weekend. I took a few of the same photos with...
  14. Lisa

GH1/14-140 comparison with Nikon D300/18-200VR

I just bought a Panasonic GH1 kit with the 14-140 lens as a possible smaller and lighter alternative to my Nikon D300 with the Nikon 18-200 VR lens (similar zoom range after accounting for sensor size), and took both to Yosemite over last weekend. I took a few of the same photos with both so I...
  15. Lisa

Panasonic GH1 raw conversion options (with CS3)

I've been reading this m4/3 forum and thinking about jumping into The World of M4/3 for about a year now, and finally went and got a Panasonic GH1 with the 14-140 kit lens (as a possible frequent replacement for my larger & heavier Nikon D300 with the 18-200 VR lens). My question is... I'm...
  16. Lisa

B+W or Rodenstock?

I needed a polarizer for a new camera, and the camera store salesman said that they don't carry B+W anymore (which I'm not sure I believe), and sold me a Rodenstock multi-coated polarizer instead. I've used multi-coated B+W's in the past. Does anyone here know whether the Rodenstock is about...
  17. Lisa

Recommendations for inexpensive double-sided paper?

Every year, I make calendars for family & friends, using double-sided paper. In the past, I've used Inkjetart's "duo brite matte" paper, because it was reasonable quality and inexpensive (about US$1 per 13"x19" sheet, if I recall correctly). However, they've discontinued it. Can anyone...
  18. Lisa

DPReview review of new Fujifilm F200 EXR

At: http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/fujifilmf200exr/ I got one last month or so, and based on using it a handful of times since then, I'd say the review is a pretty fair and accurate one. The main thing I really like about it compared with my old F30 is the new "high dynamic range" mode, which...
  19. Lisa

suggestions for the Dolomites in July?

I'm planning on a week or so in the Dolomite mountains (northern Italy, near the Austrian/Swiss border) at the beginning of July. I'm reading various things to figure out where to stay and where to go for the best day hiking, but would like suggestions from photogs here who are familiar with the...
  20. Lisa

new photos from Venice

I wasn't sure whether to put it in "Critiques" or "Destinations", so I'm compromising by putting it here. For anyone interested, I've finally finished posting the photos from the Venice part of my recent trip to Venice & Switzerland (as discussed under the Destinations forum recently), and you...