The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Search results

1. 4season

More and more film fun with something other than a Leica M

FED-2, 50/2.8 Industar 26-M lens @ f/8, and a roll of Kodak Ektar 100 which sat in the camera for too long (whoops).
  2. 4season

(Digital photo) These are just some of film cameras and lenses that I've serviced. Since the start of 2020, I've purchased 10 cameras, sold 20, and I want to sell more, but which ones? Because I am usually buying cameras in parts/as-is condition, most of my investment has been my labor, not...
  3. 4season

And just across the street from Cafe Duck Butt:
  4. 4season

Prewar Zeiss Ikonta, uncoated Tessar lens, Kodak Ektar 100 film.
  5. 4season

Bronica ETRSI, Lomo 100 CN, I forgot what lens.
  6. 4season

Agfa Isolette III w/Apotar lens, Lomo 100 color negative film, shot at about f/10 @ 1/200th second.
  7. 4season

Setting Up for Product Photography

The most important thing is simply to get started. :) The endeavor can be simplified with simple, standardized lighting setup. I use one larger overhead softbox, a secondary smaller softbox and various neutral-colored reflectors. Once I get going, I can generally knock these out at a decent...
  8. 4season

climate

Agreed, otherwise what's the point in getting up in the morning :p For my part, I try to follow the advice of Michael Pollan: And I also try not to buy random crap just because I'm bored or feel like my life is missing something.
  9. 4season

climate

IMO, altruistic actions on the part of one political party can only accomplish so much before it's simply voted out of office, but personal ambition (okay, greed) can be a powerful and enduring force, which appeals to people of all political colors. The trick then becomes, how to make "doing the...
  10. 4season

climate

Just what sort of planet-saving measures can governments take which don't require some sort of lifestyle changes at the individual level? Many Americans like solutions which involve having shiny new toys, but as soon as you start talking about buying less, and repairing older things, the room...
  11. 4season

slow day here...

Urban camping in the USA:
  12. 4season

slow day here...

That's kind of cool, in a soul-sucking sort of way.
  13. 4season

The Election results...

Who knew 2020 would be a good shopping year for me, but my eBay sales were stronger than expected, and I kept myself busy selling off both film and digital gear which wasn't seeing a lot of use. And from those funds, I upgraded my first-generation Sony A7 to an A7R4. Wow, a "few" improvements...
  14. 4season

A major update!

Wow, a site migration with no visible drama - kudos to the team!
  15. 4season

Recommendations for medium format SLR

I think your original idea isn't bad, but if you want to get the P67 w/MLU and wide angle lens for significantly less than 1200 USD, or the RB67 with same for much below 750, you may need to be patient, persistent, and look beyond eBay. Learning how to fix cameras is another way to save a lot of...
  16. 4season

The MacOS v. Windows 10 Conundrum

Awesome PC build, looks like a sci-fi movie prop! But why the choice of Geforce RX rather than Quadro RX video? I'm alright with Windows 10, some things I like better versus Mac OS Catalina, others less so. MacOS Big Sur running on ARM and iOS 14 should be interesting though: Will they really...
  17. 4season

Olympus sells its imaging business

Buy it and enjoy it? Because the future is unknowable. But if the VAIO computer brand is any indication, it still exists on a much smaller scale, vanished from the USA market for awhile (they've now got a USA web site) offering just two basic notebook PC models, both premium-priced and seemingly...
  18. 4season

For what it's worth, the web site for Japan Industrial Partners is here: https://jipinc.com/ If JIP were only seeking to monetize trademarks and intellectual property, they surely could have chosen easier targets than Olympus Camera and Sony's VAIO division. So for now, I shall not consider the...
  19. 4season

Sure, if you're willing to overlook the fact that the Nikon is a f/4-6.3 lens while the Olympus is f/4 constant aperture. The comparison starts to look very different if you compare Nikon 24-200 to Olympus f/3.5-6.3 12-200. Yes, 24-200 versus 24-400 equivalent. That longer Olympus lens is a bit...
  20. 4season

Helios lens advice

Perhaps you've already seen this article? https://camerapedia.fandom.com/wiki/Helios-44 But if anything, it understates the sheer number of variants, and if your primary goal is to have a lens with plenty of "character", maybe best just to seek out a lens which is in decent condition? I have a...