The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Search results

1. P

Backpack help please

I use a MindShift BackLight 16l. I don't want to have to mount a lens in the field, so I wanted a solution that would allow me to carry a body with lens attached. Unlike most packs, the access ins through the part that is against your back so you can open the pack by unhooking and rotating the...
  2. P

Medium Format Ultralight Hiking Kit

I would think if you can spike the legs into the ground, it should be stable enough. Are you making long exposures, or working in windy conditions?
  3. P

A modern quick-release system is usually milled from very light metal, adding minimal weight. To keep the weight down, you need not even use an L-bracket (when that is even an option).
  4. P

I would think the opposite would be true. In the studio, one has the luxury of a controlled environment, most probably assistants and time to set everything up. A quick release plate in the field means you can get the tripod set and the camera attached with little trouble and be ready to catch a...
  5. P

I would imagine an Arca-Swiss style QR plate would actually be more stable and secure as you can attach it to the camera with a hex-head screw and wrench, rather than a knurled knob or a D-ring bolt. Some cameras have more than one socket on the base and you can take advantage of that to use two...
  6. P

Can you strap it to the side or back?
  7. P

May not fold small enough for you (33"), but the FLM CP22 goes tall enough and weighs 2 lbs. https://www.flmcanada.com/product/flm-cp22-m2-ii-tripod/
  8. P

Using a timer or delay lets the camera settle before the shutter fires. I makes a difference with the big mirror of a medium-format camera, even a well-damped one.
  9. P

I would use mirror lock-up, a timer or delay and a cable release. Barry Thornton did a very interesting test years ago in his book "Edge of Darkness" where he found that a 35mm camera hand-held at higher shutter speeds was sharper than a flimsy tripod at lower speeds.
  10. P

You should be able to hook a camera bag to the center of the tripod, helping with stability, or use a tripod hammock with some rocks in it. Depending on the terrain, you can always release and spread the legs out a bit more, using the accessory spikes to anchor the legs. The wider detent for the...
  11. P

I use a Leofoto 324C with the LH40 ballhead--a clone of the RRS--as my travel tripod. It works fine for MF, but the leg spread is not as wide as a Gitzo Ranger, making it just a bit less stable. It also does not have an adjustable center column, just a short extension column that can be added. I...
  12. P

It might not be very comfortable to have the camera that low, having to bend over or kneel.
  13. P

Sorry. I thought when you mentioned a normal lens it was an SLR. The TLRs are way lighter than any of those and a fantastic camera.
  14. P

Which Rolleiflex? The Hy6 with battery and 80mm AFD lens is much lighter than the 6008i with battery & 80mm. Of course, a prism finder adds considerable weight to either one.
  15. P

Hasselblad V purchase... any later models to avoid?

My experience with older, orphan and low-volume cameras is that even though there might be technicians who work on them, parts are not always available, completely disabling the camera. So if there is a part that is prone to failure that cannot be somehow fabricated, supplies can dry up over time.
  16. P

Digital Medium Format Question

Product photographers traditionally used LF cameras in the studio for the movements. Something you still can't get with a FF digital camera. The advantage of a medium (and large) format film camera was the negative size compared to 35mm. However, with higher resolution available in smaller...
  17. P

Photographing Wild Horses help please!

The Camargue in the south of France. I think there are workshops.
  18. P

Tips to deal with dust

I am unsure how you are getting so much dust in your images. It only shows up as out-of-focus blobs when it is on the sensor. Make sure the sensor is clean and If you really want to avoid any chance of dust on it, don't expose the sensor in the field--don't remove the back or change lenses. Hoya...
  19. P

Tips to deal with dust

You did not specify if you are shooting film or digital. Dust on the lens or filter will not show up in your images. It might soften them a bit, but it is so far from the plane of focus it does not appear in the photo. Dust on the sensor will, of course if you are shooting digital. If you are...