The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Search results

1. MGrayson

Street Shooting Style - Be Original ?

Roger, Disclaimer: If I had to make a living off of my photography, I would starve. IMHO, getting a look you like and doing that superbly well will be more satisfying than finding a gimmick. The two are not mutually exclusive - sometimes what you think of as a gimmick will work out really well...
  2. MGrayson

Scheimpflug and Hinges - the parts Dave Chew wisely left out.

That's the wonder of the real world. Infinities don't actually happen. See above for what happens slightly behind the infinity focus plane.
  3. MGrayson

Dave pointed out a paradox to me and I want to talk about it. It's a very disturbing observation: Focus at infinity, the plane of focus is infinitely far in FRONT of you. Now tilt the lens ANY amount as small as you want. Suddenly, the focal plane is horizontal and very far below you. It's an...
  4. MGrayson

Vieri, Thank you! I'm quite serious about the title of this thread. This is really not helpful to a photographer in the field, nor is it meant to be! Every treatment I can find of this stuff is full of equations, which are great (and necessary) if you want to calculate a number. But I am never...
  5. MGrayson

That's the situation in real life closest to the simplified model. Someone with more practical experience correct me if I'm wrong, but I think that is the best.
  6. MGrayson

It's one thing to get the focal plane to hit the ground in front of you, but getting the slope right to hit the top of that mountain is a bit trickier. There's a much quicker way of getting the DIRECTION of the focal plane. Once you get more than 50 feet away, the error between this approximate...
  7. MGrayson

OK! Here is a lens. It has a center and a focal point located distance f from the center: It focuses horizontal rays Because it does not deflect a line through its center, we can find the location Q behind the lens where a point P is in focus. This is our DEFINITION of points P and Q...
  8. MGrayson

Anwar, I tried to make pictures that were clearer than the words and failed. I'll give it another go! Matt
  9. MGrayson

Dave, This is true when the tilt angle is relatively small. The focus plane starts to tilt at large tilt angles because the plane H gets further away from the lens HORIZONTALLY. It is still one focal length away, but that is measured perpendicular to the lens. Some (self-explanatory.. Hah!)...
  10. MGrayson

In Dave Chew's excellent article on using camera movements in the field, he concentrates on what actually happens to the focus plane (focus wedge, actually) as lens tilt and focus are adjusted. This is what a photographer needs to know. Unfortunately, I'm a mathematician. Mathematicians care...
  11. MGrayson

Excellent read - Field Techniques for Technical Cameras – Lenses and Accessories by Dave Chew in PhotoPXL

Note: The following is completely irrelevant to the USE of tilt in the field. I've never thought about WHY the Hinge Rule makes sense. Scheimpflug is just some unpleasant geometry. But Hinge makes sense without math. The question is: what is special about the plane, H, one focal length in...
  12. MGrayson

Still tossing it around: Get GF 32-64 and sell my GF 30 and GF 63 Lens

Ditto. I expected that to be my most-used lens. After the first try, I never used it again.
  13. MGrayson

Lightroom Classic Question

I you export them "normally", your changes will be visible, but the picture is done - the exported image has no history. If you want to export an image so that it can be imported elsewhere with the LR edits still editable - that is, history intact, you have to "Export as Catalog". That will take...
  14. MGrayson

Apple Pro Display verse Eizo CG319x

There is nothing wrong with getting what you want.
  15. MGrayson

Apple Pro Display verse Eizo CG319x

The typo above reminds me of possibly the best car tire ad of all time (low bar, I know). Red sports car is zooming along a distant winding road. As the camera zooms in, the voiceover says "Why does every Ferrari Testarossa come with Goodyear Eagle Tires?" Car has pulled to a stop, camera now...
  16. MGrayson

Leica S mirrorless under development

On the debate over the theoretical impossibility of a lens/sensor sharpness measure, I'll add only this: In theory, there's no difference between theory and practice. In practice, there is.
  17. MGrayson

FS Pentax -A 645 120mm f/4 Macro lens with Fotodiox Fuji GFX adapter

Error in headline.... I almost fell over when I saw 20mm f/4! BTW, one of my favorite macro lenses. Very smooth!
  18. MGrayson

calculating focal length when shifted and pano

Mario, If the final aspect ratio is not 3:2, there is no one answer. You can go by width, height, or diagonal. Take the ratio of the respective measurements and multiply the focal length. So if the final image has dimensions, say, 120mm by 74mm, you COULD say, using diagonals, that the...