The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Search results

1. J

Puzzled at the Abysmal Performance of Hasselblad's Phocus Software (Why all the praise?)

There was a major upgrade to Phocus (v3.5.6) in January 2021 that runs natively on the M1 chip. This is what I'm running on my first generation M1 13" MBP w/16 Gb RAM. I'm not seeing any performance issues when handling up to a few hundred files at a time, whereas on my late-2014 MBP Phocus was...
  2. J

Fun with MF images 2022

Scattered by John Ngai, on Flickr WRS1250 | IQ4 150 | Zeiss 5.6/120 S-Planar | f/5.6 | 24-image focus stack
  3. J

Setting up a repro stand

OK, since you brought it up... At one point I owned the following Zeiss-for-Hasselblad macro lenses: 4/120 Makro-Planar, 5.6/135 Makro-Planar (w/bellows), and 5.6/120 S-Planar. Performance, at least at magnifications up to 1:2 or so was roughly equivalent, with perhaps a slight edge to the...
  4. J

Setting up a repro stand

Thanks for the info. The TTI products look great. However they are probably more than what I need and with prices not listed on their website I'm thinking they may fall into the "if you gotta ask..." category. With the larger baseboard, greater stated load capacity (16 lbs vs 8 lbs), and the...
  5. J

Fun with MF images 2022

Twilight Fog by John Ngai, on Flickr WRS1250 | IQ4 150 | SK 120 ASPH | f/11 | 1m00s, Automated Frame Average | 2-image blend "Fogust" - or foggy August as it's known in the San Francisco Bay Area - seems to have come and gone a bit early this year when work had me too pre-occupied to get out. I...
  6. J

Setting up a repro stand

Yes, a stable and quick-to-set-up rig for various macro projects, including the (very) occasional film scan, is what I'm after. My tripod hack works well enough, but sometimes requires a bit of futzing to the get the distances and alignment right. John
  7. J

Setting up a repro stand

Thanks very much for digging this up. I think this would work fine with my Hassy X1D or the P1 XF (as you show, if only I had one). On my Cambo, however, the distance from the base of the tripod foot to the center of the lens mount is approx. 4 inches, which would put the center at 11-12 inches...
  8. J

Setting up a repro stand

Thanks @JeffK for posting a photo of your setup. It looks like you're using the Kaiser copy stand. If so, can you tell us what adjustments in camera position on the mount are possible? Specifically, I'm interested in the distance between the vertical column and the mounting plate, and whether...
  9. J

Fun with MF images 2022

Floral Wabi Sabi Floral Wabi Sabi by John Ngai, on Flickr WRS1250 | IQ4 150 | Zeiss 5.6/120 S-Planar | f/5.6 | 15-image focus stack This weekend's Saturday morning mini-project... John
  10. J

How to shoot Down with Arca-Swiss L60 / L75

Hi Matt, There's no flex as far as I can tell. The Cube itself is connected to the tripod via an RRS dovetail and RRS lever release clamp affixed to the apex (the so-called @GrahamWelland method). Note that between the macro rail (from Kirk Enterprises), the height of the camera's tripod foot...
  11. J

Zoiks! 256 CHF! I suppose the good news (if you’re in the US) is that the US dollar is strong right now. But sheesh, thatsalottadough! John
  12. J

These are beasts, indeed. There's nothing quite like the Cube when it comes to stability, including when shooting straight down. However this can get dangerously tippy as there is a lot of mass handing pretty far from the tripod apex. I compensate by extending the rear tripod leg further and at...
  13. J

Well that certainly appears to be the most elegant solution. But how many grams (and dollars/Euros) of unobtanium would this add up to? :ROFLMAO:
  14. J

So you haven’t sold off your Sawzall? :ROFLMAO:
  15. J

Dave, I think you're on to something here... I would add this small clamp from RRS; it takes a 1/4" threaded bolt and can be attached to the bracket, which would make mounting and unmounting the camera much simpler. I think the functionality would be worth the extra 64 grams. John
  16. J

Fun with MF images 2022

Greg, This image is simply sublime. John
  17. J

Hasselblad 907x sold out

Hah - TBH I don't think I ever shot the 40 IF wide open! :love: John
  18. J

Hasselblad 907x sold out

This subject - near and dear to my own heart - comes up occasionally across various threads here. In my own experience: - Both 250 and 350 Superachromats are superb on the IQ4 150. - The 100 is superb on the IQ3 100; I would expect it to perform similarly on the IQ4 150 (note: the increased...
  19. J

Future of Hassy- Bleak or Bright?

I, too, feel that there have been some subtle and frankly not-to-subtle China-bashing and various aspersions cast on DJI as a Chinese-owned company in this thread. I'm not putting this out there for debate, merely offering my own observations and perceptions. @richardman, you are a better man...
  20. J

Using an IQ4? What's your system?

Thanks, Bill. This is good to know about Helicon. I wonder to what extent RAM factors into the speed of stacking in Helicon or blending in PS, vs any differences in the various M1 processors. I guess another way of framing my question is which tasks are more RAM-intensive? I find my 1st...