The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Search results

1. Frankly

Finally a satisfying Photokina

Nice to get a lot of actual product announcements rather than minor upgrades like the past few years. Obviously the economy is doing well, I certainly appreciate the strong stock market and employment numbers thanks to our current leadership.
  2. Frankly

Best USA CLA for Nikon that is not NikonUSA?

Just got a camera back from a CLA with a faulty shutter release, it was reassembled wrong and not properly tested. They're making good on this but until I get the body back and test it thoroughly I'm gun-shy about using this service again. Also I don't want to send my cameras to Nikon USA...
  3. Frankly

Optimal SD for Nikon 850?

Am I correct in assuming the D850 will shoot its fastest if I leave the SD slot empty and only use the XQD card? Second best solution is to get one of the newer most expensive UHS-II SD cards with 300mb/s write speed like the Sony SF-G UHS-II SDXC? Which are as nearly as expensive as the XQD...
  4. Frankly

WTB Nikon Low Milage D810 for $1250

Last week I missed a D810 with 7k clicks for $1250. Currently I can buy one for $1300 on FM from a guy with two feedbacks (~eh) but before I do I'll look here since I find more trustworthy sellers on Get DPI than elsewhere. Prices I'm willing to pay are $1250 for a low milage 0-20k click clean...
  5. Frankly

35/1.4 Milvus ZF and Nikon 20/1.8

Consolidating on the 28/1.4e because I shoot a lot of spontaneous things that benefit from AF. If I mainly shot landscapes the Milvus would be the ultimate FX lens in 35mm. Zeiss 35/1.4 Milvus ZF for Nikon F mount: Perfect in every way except for faint signs of use on the rubber focusing ring...
  6. Frankly

Trading my Milvus 35/1.4 for Nikon 28/1.4e

I'm considering it, before I take photos if anyone is interested please let me know. Haven't compared prices and details yet but they're both expensive ;-p The 35/1.4 Milvus is the best 35 lens ever in terms of performance but it is heavy and manual focus. I've owned the 28/1.4e before and also...
  7. Frankly

Figuring out the Nikon 58/1.4G

I'm thinking about picking up this lens in spite of the mixed reviews. The last ~50mm I liked was the Zeiss Milvus, no complaints other than weight and being manual focus. I really want auto-focus and a little less metal and more plastic is OK by me. But please, tell me that at f/5.6 the more...
  8. Frankly

Here's a few B-sides that rarely get shown (NSFW)

Not in my book or portfolio but fairly recent accidents that people politely say are "interesting" and then throw me a sidelong glance....
  9. Frankly

What does Capture One do Better than Camera Raw?

Been playing with the full trial version on my Nikon D810 files. As far as imaging processing I don't see any ready difference in results between C1 and ACR but I'm just dabbling so far. Granted the organizational and project features could be nice but I don't use those much. How could C1...
  10. Frankly

Optimal Working and BU Drivers for a 2015 iMac

It pains me to realize how much I haven't paid attention to tech, twenty years ago I knew everything about RAIDs and SCSI chains. Then I stopped caring. Or at least until now ;-p Right now I have a 2015 iMac 5K with a 3tb Fusion Drive along with a slew of 8tb USB 3 or 2 external WD drives...
  11. Frankly

WTB cheap older DSLR for kid

At least she doesn’t want to use her phone but I doubt she’s serious. Perhaps if you have an old Nikon D80 with kit lens or something similar I’ve got $100. Flash needs to work and needs the charger. Obviously I don’t want to spend much. ship to Spencerport NY 14559 Thanks!
  12. Frankly

Eyepiece Assembly Broke on my Nikon D810

The entire rectangular plate holding the eyepiece fell off my D810 today. It looks like the plastic got cracked at the retaining screw some time ago and today gravity took its course. I’ve temporarily repaired it using a elastic hair tie. Anyone have experience with this type of repair? I...
  13. Frankly

Photography and Privacy Law in Italy

Over time I've been photographing people mostly unaware on the street. At this point it's second nature for me to photograph whatever I find interesting and if the subject rather I didn't... I'll apologize after the fact (if at all). But then I remembered that Britain and France have these...
  14. Frankly

Aquatech Base Water Housing Nikon D810-800-850

I'm finding this to be more hassle than I want, if I lived in a beach area I'd own several! Complete Aquatech Base housing for D810 but also fits D800s and I assume D850s. This is the basic model that allows autofocus and shutter firing, comes with P65 Port and pistol grip with electronic...
  15. Frankly

FS Nikon 300/2.8D AFS-II

9/10 perfect glass and operation, no squeaks, smooth and tight in all the right places, used but very clean. Comes with OEM shade and cover, gel filter holder, BW polarizer new in sealed box, RRS Arca plate for tripod mount. This is the lightest of the modern AFS telephotos (no useless stupid...
  16. Frankly

FS Gitzo GT2341L Tripod 70" Basalt

Gitzo GT-2341L Aluminum Tripod Legs (Basalt Rapid Column) made in Italy, not imported by Manfrotto USA because it would undercut sales of more expensive tripods IMHO. This is a modern design from ca. 2011. I bought it in England. Very nice build quality. Excellent plus condition, no scratches...
  17. Frankly

Mini Review of F-Stop Lotus

F-Stop Gear has a good reputation for designing high quality camera backpacks but unfortunately had some difficulties with mismanagement and poor customer service. Some people waited over a year to get their orders. But lately they've made a marked improvement, with product in stock and prompt...
  18. Frankly

Really Right Stuff 34L BH55 Leveling Base Tripod Outfit RRS

RRS TVC-34L CF tripod (new $1115) (68.8", folded 24.4", 4.7 lb) TA-3 Leveling Base with 4.5" handle and hook, lever release clamp (new $310) BH-55 Ballhead with 60mm lever release clamp (new $489) TH-DVTL-55 dovetail plate for the BH-55 head ($55) allows easy swapping of heads Everything in...
  19. Frankly

Oddity: Random Type in JPGs

OK here is a new oddity. Using a D800 and Sandisk Extreme Card, processed in ACR and Photoshop, current versions. Raw file at 100% in ACR does not shot this but when exported as JPGs I see random type in the midtones/background. It's repeatable. Will do further testing with different bodies...
  20. Frankly

WTB Nikon 35/1.4G 85/1.4G

Found everything and I'm good! Thanks