The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Search results

1. vieri

NFTs - the way of the future?

Interesting points. Blockchain's environmental impact is definitely a concern, as is concerning (to me, at least) any human activity that impacts on the environment - which is pretty much everything we do, as humans. On the good side, power can be obtained through the use of renewable sources...
  2. vieri

NFTs - the way of the future?

In today's fast developing cryptoworld, NFT are gaining new followers, collectors and creators everyday. While there are people on both sides of the fence, lovers and haters, supporters and denigrators, believers and sceptics, it is clear to me that NFTs are here to stay - as are blockchain and...
  3. vieri

What is "composing in camera"?

Hey Rob, indeed there are. It takes a lot of time and experience to fine tune our own path, and perhaps this investment of time and effort is part of the why many people tend to absolutise what works for them into universal rules of sort :) Once one absolutises things, the step to getting...
  4. vieri

What is "composing in camera"?

Indeed, that's what it means - composing precisely (or as precisely as possible) at the time of shooting, rather than composing loosely and "fixing" composition in post-processing. To me, composing in camera is the way to go; however, there is one important caveat - image ratio. When we choose...
  5. vieri

Filtersystem for MF

It seems to me that the Wine Country offers 95mm rings for their 100mm system - which should solve the 24mm lens problem :) Hope this helps, best regards Vieri
  6. vieri

Fun with MF images 2021

This year, due to the infamous pandemic, for the first time in over a decade I didn’t go to the Isle of Skye in late winter, and I really missed it; I scheduled two trips in 2022 to compensate for that, but in the meantime, I thought I’d share a couple of Skye sunrises with you. 1/5 sec, f/16...
  7. vieri

Technical Cameras: Questions

Perfectly put. Best regards, Vieri
  8. vieri

Filtersystem for MF

I use the Phase One XT, and I use the IQ4, so I have no need for CF even with full shift - which, being just 12mm, doesn't really make much of a difference if any at all re: the need for a CF versus non-shifting, with all lenses except for the 23mm which obviously can't shift much anyway :) I...
  9. vieri

Filtersystem for MF

Well, the OP asked about the Leica S 007 - of course if you use lenses with a 105mm filter thread, using 100mm filters becomes an impossibility :) Personally, I can use a 100mm filter system with all my XT Rodenstock lenses (23, 32, 50 and 90mm), no vignetting even shifted all the way. Best...
  10. vieri

Fun with MF images 2021

These days, it is very popular to show the fire side of Iceland, for those lucky enough to be able to travel there to photograph the new volcano. Being hard for me to travel there now, I thought I’d show the icy side of it with a couple of images from my archives. 236 sec, f/11, Hasselblad...
  11. vieri

Filtersystem for MF

Another side note - I would never get a 150mm system, it's way to cumbersome to carry and use, not to mention that filters will catch wind like a sail on windy days, shaking themselves and making your whole setup shake :) When I was using the S (Typ 007), I found a way to use 100mm filters with...
  12. vieri

Filtersystem for MF

Just a note about Grad ND - Georg, the OP, is talking about a Leica S (Typ 007), and in my experience with that camera Grad ND filters are still very much a necessity. Generally speaking, I still use them a lot, even with the (now larger) DR of CMOS I prefer to get as much data as I can at the...
  13. vieri

Filtersystem for MF

Hello Georg, firt a disclaimer - I am a Formatt-Hitech Ambassador, but being an ambassador for a brand never stopped me from telling it as I see it. Starting with your last question, I wouldn't use a clear night filter in Iceland; those are more useful to balance the hues of city lights, while...
  14. vieri

X1DII Screen Colour Accuracy

Personally, I never use the LCD on my cameras to evaluate colour. I always shoot in Daylight WB, for consistency between shots, and use the LCD only to evaluate composition and to look at the histogram and check my exposure. Best regards, Vieri
  15. vieri

Official Alpa X shutter prices

Indeed. If one had to choose on price alone, Phase own XT + lenses are way more affordable than any Alpa camera + same lenses in X Shutter; a Cambo kit + X Shutter would be slightly less expensive than a Phase kit (but could not be, depending on which camera you choose). And, as you said, you'll...
  16. vieri

Official Alpa X shutter prices

Slightly cheaper than what Cambo asked, then - if I recall correctly. Best regards, Vieri
  17. vieri

907X funky corner at f/32

In the field, I use a rocket blower to keep the sensor acceptably clean; if a wet clean is needed, I use Sensor Clean with their MF sized pads, and - when necessary - Smear Away (which you have to then remove with Sensor Clean). For rear lens elements, I use Zeiss wipes, which I also use for...
  18. vieri

Phase 4150 double exposure vs. Fuji 100s single exposure shadow recovery

In my experience, frame averaging and ND filters behave equally as far as the final image's look, with the advantage that frame averaging results in cleaner files, no need for LENR on the IQ4, and more flexibility in the choice of the shutter speed compared to the "go by full stops" approach of...
  19. vieri

How do you pack your tech cam when outdoors?

I leave my Phase One XT + IQ4 + Rodenstock 23mm (or whichever lens I believe will be more useful for my selected location) assembled and ready to go, and carry what other lenses I need in my Tilopa 50L bag. The combination is very compact, there are no cables and add-ons that I need to worry...
  20. vieri

Phase 4150 double exposure vs. Fuji 100s single exposure shadow recovery

Hello Paul, about using frame averaging for landscape, perhaps your issues with moving things might depend on your chosen base exposure and number of frames you utilise? Just wondering, since I don't seem to have seen any "total mess" in my experimenting with it. Could you share your usual...