The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Search results

1. doug

Long Lenses

2. doug

Why is aperture backwards??

The effect of the inverse square law is normalized by dividing by the focal length. f/2 is f/2 no matter how far the aperture is from the image plane and no matter what the aperture's physical diameter is.
  3. doug

Sony A1 powerhouse

Looks like the a7riII will become a backup body :)
  4. doug

Why is aperture backwards??

Yes there's a stop of light difference between f/1.4 and f/2 but it's not because of the inverse square law. It's because the area of the aperture - the opening the light passes through - at f/2 is half of the area at f/1.4
  5. doug

Z9

They need to ship some product before I get excited.
  6. doug

Z9

This proposed Z9 doesn't interest me, it's much too big. I'm currently using Sony mirrorless with serious lust for the PF lenses. My fantasy camera would be a1 size & performance with the 300mm and 500mm PF. As I see it the whole point of this announcement was to slow the bleeding of user...
  7. doug

Long Lenses

8. doug

Sony A1 powerhouse

After yesterday having the AF lock onto rough tree bark and foreground weeds instead of the intended birds I'm almost ready to throw caution and wallet to the wind. Help me out here! Does the bird eye AF work as well as you'd hoped?
  9. doug

Long Lenses

10. doug

Voigtländer 35/2

APO isn't a lens element. It's the overall correction of aberrations of the entire lens. I get a bit jaded by announcements of new lenses but my experience with the 65mm APO-Lanthar makes me sit up and take notice at this one.
  11. doug

Long Lenses

Great Egret (Ardea alba) with an unwilling snack
  12. doug

Long Lenses

Back in my yard, the birdbath was another source of entertainment (a7rIII, FE 100-400 GM)
  13. doug

Long Lenses

Once I was allowed off the property I took the 600mm GM out for some exercise (on a7rIII).
  14. doug

Long Lenses

I was quarantined for a few weeks in January so for entertainment I drilled a pocket into a lichen-covered log, stuffed it with yummy treats and waited in my semi-permanent backyard blind for hungry avian visitors. All photos: a7rIII, FE 100-400 GM
  15. doug

Sony A1 powerhouse

Reliable bird eye AF + 50MP + low-distortion silent shutter = flat wallet There's a lot of overkill: 30 frames/sec and all the movie stuff is more than I need but it probably won't get in the way. This camera would be very handy, but at this point spending more time in the wild will be more...
  16. doug

Sony A1 powerhouse

Bird eye AF. 30 fps. 50MP. This will flatten my wallet.
  17. doug

Long Lenses

18. doug

Long Lenses

more from the backyard Avian Portrait Studio all: a7rIII, FE 100-400 GM
  19. doug

Long Lenses

I made some revisions to my backyard avian portrait studio: the birdbath is now closer to camera level and I've eliminated most of the bright reflections in the water. This cooperative Ruby-crowned Kinglet was my first test subject with the revised birdbath. 03 December 2020 IMBY, Sacramento...
  20. doug

photokina :(

https://www.photokina.com