The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Search results

1. JohnBrew

Leica M 90mm f/2.8 VS 135mm f/3.4! Throwing money at the wind

135/4: really a great lens, probably under-rated. I used it on a film M and it performed fine. Back then I had no trouble with focusing. But it does protrude a bit much and there is nothing stealth about it. I have a 90 2.8 Elmarit-M which is pretty much glued to my M9P, 'nuff said.
  2. JohnBrew

Fun with Nikon Images

I carefully ventured out the other day to the "Swamp" at Magnolia Gardens. Z7. 105 2.5 Ai. 1) Buttonbush 2) All loaded and ready to launch 3) Don't know the name of this one the leaves are strikingly similar to the "herb superb".
  3. JohnBrew

Fun with the Leica M Monochrom

Keith, thanks for sharing this. I think it’s a wonderful combination. I have a 5cm Elmar LTM from 1959. It’s great for street, but no good for landscape as it won’t focus to infinity. And yes, it has a genuine Leica adapter and my other lenses are fine.
  4. JohnBrew

Fun w/Digital M Images

Sign of the times. M9P, 90 Elmarit-M
  5. JohnBrew

Fun with Nikon V1 / 10MP are enough

Arri, if you need/want more info on the V1 and current shooters, I would try Nikongear.com. Certain users there love the V1 and are using it in very innovative ways. While a member i haven’t visited in many months, these guys really know their stuff. Shame on Nikon for introducing and then...
  6. JohnBrew

Sensor Cleaning?

Dave, for the blobs on your sensor I second Ken’s recommendation of the Lens Pen. When a blower won’t do it, I reach for my Lens Pen. You can rub pretty hard with it without worrying about damage. As someone mentioned before you’re only cleaning the glass.
  7. JohnBrew

Fun with Nikon Images

Jack, those are just great. Happy you are able to process in C1. I would love to ditch Adobe, but just cannot “get” C1 - probably the same reason I can’t use Lightroom. I like and use Luminar as a plug in for Photoshop but no print engine keeps me from using it as a stand-alone. I should...
  8. JohnBrew

Fun with MF images - ARCHIVED - FOR VIEWING ONLY

Arne, have you considered presenting this image as a bw?
  9. JohnBrew

Leica Summarit M Mount F 2.5 @ 90 mm and Zeiss Planar F2.0 50 mm

Is the Zeiss a black or chrome lens? Thank you.
  10. JohnBrew

How Can We Help GetDPI Stay Alive

Unfortunately not having GetDPI in my photographic life will be a change. It is the third site I visit every morning following the weather and one news site. I would be pleased to donate whatever is necessary to assist in keeping this place alive. I cannot thank Jack, Guy and Bob enough for...
  11. JohnBrew

Fun with the Hasselblad 907x

Having owned a CFV50c, I would say it was the beta version and now Hasselblad has released the fully sorted production one. Without the battery hanging off the bottom it is now a svelte combination with any camera body.
  12. JohnBrew

Fun with the M 10

Mat, agreed. IMO, all the 75’s are great. The little Summarit is a gem, if you can find one. As it is not listed as current production anymore I think Leica must have discontinued it because it was too good!
  13. JohnBrew

To those with new Mono, any lens failing to pass muster?

Well, there seem to be plenty of M9 chrome Mono’s around. With a stable of M8.2 and M9P in chrome I would really hate to have an interloper...:ROTFL:
  14. JohnBrew

[ BTW, one lens I kept is the 226 gram Tele-Elmarit 90/2.8 which works very well on the Monochrom. It creates an interesting image with character where the images do not feel too crisp, but still draws beautifully. I'll try to find an image for tomorrows Dusting off the Hard Drives-Landscapes...
  15. JohnBrew

Quite tempting! If Dante came calling mama spank. However, most definitely waiting for a chrome version which if past models are any indication will be in about 1 1/2 years.
  16. JohnBrew

Thank you, Sanford. I’ve shot most of those lenses and concur. I must clarify an earlier post in that I stated I had a new Mono on the way. It was a rental and I had hoped to put it through its paces this weekend. Alas, the delivery people screwed up the delivery and I never received it! Such...
  17. JohnBrew

Fun with the Leica M Monochrom

I hope you are happy with the Summarit. I had two of them (50 & 75) and they were fine lenses. It is a shame Leica quit production of these lenses. I think their quality was too close to the others of the same focal length for quite a lot less in do-re-me. See Sean Reid comparisons.
  18. JohnBrew

Dusting off the Hard Drives-Landscapes

So Lou, please don’t misunderstand me here. I love what you are doing with these old images. And they are great, btw. But you are posting in the MF section. These are 35mm images and, IMO, belong in the category of which they were shot. You’ve been posting many Leica shots, why not post them...
  19. JohnBrew

Thank you, Will. I think most of the people who make the “outdated” claim do so based on mtf graphs which themselves may be outdated! In light of this I must reference my ancient Nikkor 105 f2.5 Ai which continues to defy the so-called experts by revealing astounding detail and character with...