The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Search results

1. MGrayson

Fun with MF images 2024

Actually, I was visiting my brother-in-law in his new studio south of the Brooklyn Bridge. Same subway stop, though :). This was from the cafe in his building (the UFO's have left, their mission presumably completed.) Apologies for posting this here. It was NOT with a 50mm shift lens. This is an...
  2. MGrayson

Fun with MF images 2024

Ever seen the book "New York Vertical" by Horst Hamann? It's a really tempting format in the city. I think the author used 6x17 film, so no perspective corrections. This is with a shift lens, so not the same. It's also a tough format for computer monitors. Click through for different sizes or...
  3. MGrayson

Fun with MF images 2024

Beautiful drone set, Ed. It's a good thing drone use is severely restricted where I live, or the temptation would be too great. Matt
  4. MGrayson

Hasselblad 100C and 35XL

I am not doubting you, but I am surprised. The dust spot is much more visible than the banding, and an LCC would get rid of the dust perfectly. As for "useless", again, I'm not trying to impose my own (low) standards, but the artifacts in the upper right corner of this are clearly visible in...
  5. MGrayson

Focus bracketing Question X2D

Back in the day, the technique was to photograph your hand before and after every sequence, e.g., panorama for stitching or HDR.
  6. MGrayson

Fun with MF images 2024

Love the atmosphere of these church shots.
  7. MGrayson

Hasselblad 100C and 35XL

You are uniquely fortunate to have experienced only perfect deliverables. In my 45 years of professional life, I have only *once* seen an error-free implementation of anything on the first try. It was a typesetting without typos of a four page paper in the journal Inventiones Mathematicae...
  8. MGrayson

Fun with MF images 2024

Looks just like the Pentax 645 one. And just think, you could get over 30mm of shift out of the combo.:oops:
  9. MGrayson

Fun with MF images 2024

Shift lenses - the gateway drug to technical cameras... X2D, Mamiya 645 50mm shift lens at f/11 Matt
  10. MGrayson

It is Finally Here, 907x 100c

Ancient kings would be buried with their technical cameras, lenses, and MFDB's for just this reason! This is why so many tombs were looted.:unsure:
  11. MGrayson

Please advise the esteemed forum members which technical camera system I should invest in for landscape photography

Everyone will tell you their preferences, but each system has its fans. The only way you can tell which one you will like is for YOU to try them. That may be difficult, but it's worth doing before such a huge expenditure. If you really can't try them, then just accept that they are all extremely...
  12. MGrayson

Your favourite “bang for the buck” lenses

I'd put the 35XL on the right, as it looks to have slightly less distortion, but I could be fooling myself. They're really close! I just did a similar comparison with a Leica M 35 Summicron. Inside its image circle, it's extremely sharp, but I didn't see any difference between it and the Pentax...
  13. MGrayson

The Pentax 35m A images are sharp. They are just at a disadvantage being 35mm rather than 50mm. I imagine that a Schneider Kreuznach 35XL might produce more detail than the Mamiya 50, but I can't really use that on the X2D. :ROFLMAO:
  14. MGrayson

No pictures necessary. I compared the pano made with the newer Mamiya 50mm shift to unshifted shots with the XCD 28 the Pentax 645 35mm A at both f/8 and f/11. In all cases, the 50mm shift had more detail, even out at the edges where it was shifted and the other two lenses were not. In other...
  15. MGrayson

It’s actually worse than it looks. I mistakenly adjusted levels and contrast on the older lens images. When I do the same with the newer one, the difference is stark.
  16. MGrayson

I hate sample variation. I'm happy to pay for premium lenses if some effort is put into making sure that they are all up to a high spec. Unfortunately, old lenses can develop crankiness with age (*cough*). A year ago, I picked up a Mamiya 645 50mm shift lens. I was not thrilled with the results...
  17. MGrayson

Fun with MF images 2024

Lovely town shot with a lovely lens - one doesn't see enough S 180 images. We went there on our honeymoon 25 years ago - walk and eat your way through Tuscany. With all the walking, we managed not to gain TOO much weight! Yashica T4, as I recall. Matt
  18. MGrayson

Diffraction and Sensor Size

Fair enough. But sometimes things that look like photos are just tests of one small section, and no consideration was given to the rest of it. Perhaps we should watermark our tests, or more simply crop to only the section of interest.