The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Search results

1. J

Fun with MF images 2024

Chris, I find it straightforward to work directly with the Fuji raw files in PI, and have a library of bias, dark and flat frames, following the usual PI process of calibrating, debayering, aligning and integrating images. -John
  2. J

Fun with MF images 2024

I hesitated to put this astro image up as it is well and truly outside the normal square for this thread. On the other hand, it demonstrates the capability of medium format in this space. I took it when I had opportunity to stay overnight at a dark-sky location in inland Canterbury, and decided...
  3. J

Technical Camera Images

Another stitched image from yesterday, this time shot with a Fujinon EX 105mm, a lens delivering much greater performance than I could have imagined was possible from an enlarger lens. Shot at F/8, stitched in LR, with subsequent processing in PS and Nik Silver Efex. -John
  4. J

Swing aesthetics

Rob, I wonder if it is a perceptual thing that relates to our unconscious/habitual way of 'reading' images, i.e. that when presented with a new image, we generally scan predominantly from foreground to distance. In this case the focus jars because having scanned foreground to background we...
  5. J

Technical Camera Images

I shot this image early this morning at Hororata, a small village in inland Canterbury, where a former Premier of NZ funded the construction of this church in 1901 as a memorial to his wife. It was badly damaged in an earthquake in 2010, and is currently awaiting restoration - note the epitaph...
  6. J

Flat field correction in Lightroom

Rob, I've encountered this once where I had used an extreme shift and the correction frame went very close to straight black. Is it worth checking the brightness range of your uncorrectable light frames to see whether that gives you some clue. I wonder if LR doesn't know what to do when it...
  7. J

Technical Camera Images

Warren, I did some more shooting today to compare the Mamiya RZ Macro 140mm with my much lighter Fujinon EX 105mm and Schneider Apo Componon 90mm HR, and it flushed out an interesting additional consideration. Because the focal length of the RZ 140mm is so much longer than its flange distance...
  8. J

Technical Camera Images

Here's a contrasting image to my previous one - montane Nothofagus forest at the treeline in the dry mountains of the eastern South Island (NZ). This is a stitch of two images taken with an Arsat 30mm fisheye, flat stitched in LR, and then de-fished using the adaptive wide angle filter in PS...
  9. J

Technical Camera Images

Thanks Warren. The only drawback for me with the RZ 140 is its weight - nearly 1.5x that of my four light-weight lenses combined. Given its manually adjusted floating element, it also delivers very well as a landscape lens.
  10. J

Technical Camera Images

I took this yesterday as a test of the closeup ability of the Mamiya RZ Macro 140mm, using a newly acquired extension rail and longer bellows for my F-Universalis. This is a stack of 40 images taken with a GFX 100s under a dark forest canopy at ISO 640 with an aperture of F/8, and with maximum...
  11. J

Technical Camera Images

That was my experience of it too - a beautiful place to photograph in the right light.
  12. J

Fun with MF images 2024

Thanks Rod for chiming in - and let me introduce Omega Centauri along with its nearby galaxy Centaurus A. This was taken on a dark night outside my back door with a GFX 50SII and GF250 mounted on a more functional tracker, a Fornax Lightrack II. Edit - I should have also offered a prize to any...
  13. J

Fun with MF images 2024

Shot just after astronomical dark on the Kaikoura Peninsula (NZ) as the Milky Way rose in the eastern sky - Scorpio just visible above the horizon. Foreground was a single shot just before complete darkness, combined with six 4-minute exposures of the sky, camera mounted on a an IOptron tracker...
  14. J

Fun with MF images 2024

This image is of a New Zealand fur seal colony at Kaikoura, on the east coast of New Zealand's South Island. The limestone geology makes for an array of different sleeping options, including the 'hammock' in the centre of the image. This image could have equally found a home in the cameras for...
  15. J

Fun with MF images 2024

Old totara fence posts and a stump on one of the high ridges of Banks Peninsula, NZ. These dense, natural totara forests were felled when European settlers established farms in the late 1800's, with some of the wood used for fencing, but much was simply burned. GFX 100s, F-Universalis and...
  16. J

Your favourite “bang for the buck” lenses

Rob, the curvature that you describe for the Nikkor 65 sounds very like the curvature exhibited by a Zeiss ZM Distagon 35mm F/1.4 that I used to use on a Sony A7R2. In that case, the general consensus in the user community was that introduction of the sensor cover glass into the optical system...
  17. J

Rob, I wonder if the experience that you've gained in improving the performance of your Apo-Digitar 35mm by using shims to adjust the distance between the front and rear cells might have also helped resolved the issue that you had with the Nikkor-SW 65 that you tried and found wanting? -John
  18. J

Two great images above - so much for the view that only digital-specific lenses will work well on digital backs! I followed the link to Flickr and checked yours out full size, Warren - impressive optics, but also lovely subtlety in your processing of tones. -John
  19. J

Earlier in this thread I described my experience with a Fujinon A 180mm F/9 that I bought to become part of a set of lightweight back-packing lenses to use with my GFX and Universalis. While I have found it to be a great performer at closer distances, I had frequent experiences of soft...
  20. J

More Fun with Large Format Film Images!

This is one from 50 years back when I worked in New Zealand's central North Island podocarp forests, researching the impacts of logging on vulnerable native bird species. These dense forests of trees 500-800 years old grew on volcanic surfaces erupted 1800 years ago from Lake Taupo, and the then...