The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Search results

1. rdeloe

Backpack help please

Shout out for the Ortlieb Atrack bags. I have the 35 L version of the one nameBrandon is showing in his pictures. Like Brandon says, it's basically a big dry bag with a harness system (very good). You use your own inserts. I built one to carry my outfit. The four inside pockets are very slim...
  2. rdeloe

Pic included in Royal Observatory / BBC astro photography awards

Community is good. Way to go Ed. If we can't celebrate victories and successes, what's the point?
  3. rdeloe

Crop factor on 36.7 x 49 mm CCD sensor

Another quick approach is to compare (focal length) / (Image length). When they're the same, the angle of view is the same. "Image length" can be horizontal, vertical or diagonal. To illustrate, 50mm lens on 36mm edge of a 24mm x 36mm sensor is 1.389 (50/36) 61mm lens on 44mm edge of a 33mm x...
  4. rdeloe

Beginner view camera with digital back

Here's someone who mounted a GFX 50S onto an Arca-Swiss F-Line: (Thanks to Audii-Dudii for pointing me to this interesting project).
  5. rdeloe

GFX100 - how to set Raw 16 bit?

If you exhaust all the reasonable explanations, you could try a factory reset. In another forum there was a member using a 100S who encountered a similar "makes no sense" problem. He couldn't get the EXIF data written into the files when shooting with manual lenses. A factory reset cleared it...
  6. rdeloe

GFX100 - how to set Raw 16 bit?

I don't have a GFX 100, but I took a quick look at the manual and it says that 16 bit only takes effect in single-frame drive mode.
  7. rdeloe

Reasons for MF in 2021

There's definitely a strong emotion/preference component. I have a perfectly good Fuji X-T2, and I know that I can use it to make excellent, publishable work. It does things I can't do with my 50R + VX23D outfit. Logically, I should be using it, but every time I do, in the back of my mind I know...
  8. rdeloe

Beginner view camera with digital back

If the moderator wants to close a thread, I'd close the one in the Large Format Forum (but move @anyone's great suggestion here). The Large Format forum is not very busy, and mostly film. I built an outfit using a Toyo VX23D and a Fuji GFX 50R as the back. If you want to mostly shoot at 100mm...
  9. rdeloe

Reasons for MF in 2021

I think photography forums attract people who like photography and also like gear. Many people like gear more than they like photography, and honestly that's just fine. That's why threads like this are so common. Recently I finished David Campany's new book, On photographs. I really liked it...
  10. rdeloe

Reasons for MF in 2021

1) There's the do what gives you pleasure argument. Life is short, then you die. If you like and can afford using certain kinds of equipment, even for reasons that don't make any technical sense, then why not? 2) There are technical reasons linked to the size of the sensor and how it performs...
  11. rdeloe

Adapting Pentax A 645 35mm to Mamiya 645

On my outfit I can get nice clean shifts out to 10mm. Beyond that image quality declines substantially because I'm pushing the edge of the image circle. This is with a 33mm x 44mm sensor. Here's a screenshot of a panorama made with +/- 10mm of shift. This is my favourite location for evaluating...
  12. rdeloe

Adapting Pentax A 645 35mm to Mamiya 645

Way to go! I love these kinds of projects. Your mount looks very professional. I use this lens on my GFX 50R + Toyo VX23D outfit. I didn't have to adapt this one, but I had to do a re-mount to get my Mamiya G 50/4 working.
  13. rdeloe

Behind the scenes

Worth the wait!
  14. rdeloe

Samyang 24mm f/3.5 Tilt-Shift Lens on GFX: a deep dive

Here's the final mount solution. Once I decided it was a keeper, I locked the tilt mechanism down and made some modifications that allowed for a neater, more secure mount to the Toyo board. The only thing I still need to do is replace that bit of electrical tape that currently covers the hole...
  15. rdeloe

Samyang 24mm f/3.5 Tilt-Shift Lens on GFX: a deep dive

Forum members who use medium format backs, or other cameras with short flange distances, have access to some terrific wide angle lenses that allow for tilt and shift. On my quirky setup (a Toyo VX23D with a GFX 50R), 35mm has long been as wide as I could go. Recently I rolled the dice on a...
  16. rdeloe

XCD 21mm for architecture instead of tech cam

You are correct Vieri, in that an apples-to-apples comparison is always best. However, that's not always possible. In this case, I normalized the resolution and compared. There are issues with that method too, but it's a reasonable way to compare across systems like this I think. A print of...
  17. rdeloe

Hasselblad "V" system lenses on GFX100/100S?

Me -- no. However, some people over in the Medium Format forum have tried V lenses on GFX cameras. Ditto over at the DPReview medium format forum, which is dominated by Fuji GFX users.
  18. rdeloe

I will be able to test Actar 90 and 120 soon. What to test ? Anyone is interested ?

Only Cambo knows for sure, and they're not telling. ;) I wish they would, to be honest, because that would make it easier to make informed choices. The only other 60mm f/4 I'm aware of that has a larger image circle than the Apo-Componon 60mm f/4 is the Rodenstock Rodagon-WA 60mm f/4. It's a...
  19. rdeloe

XCD 21mm for architecture instead of tech cam

My strong preference is to solve as many problems as I can before I make the exposure, so camera movements are central to how I work. Furthermore, there are also things you simply can't do in post. However, it's clear to me that camera movements are niche and getting more niche as sensors...