The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Search results

1. MGrayson

Depth of field and focal length

:lecture: We all know two things about DoF: a) it gets shallower with longer lenses and b) it gets shallower as you get closer to the subject. Three things! We know three things! c) DoF gets shallower with lower f-number. NOTE: I will NOT be talking about different sensor sizes and...
  2. MGrayson

Kdphotography rules

In case any of you do not yet know how wonderful Ken Doo is, buy something from him! You will get something in better condition than he advertises, perfectly packed and shipped, and, since he has good taste, it will be something you'll be glad to have. I bought from him an f-stop gear LOKA...
  3. MGrayson

Capture One Screen Rendering of the GFX 100

Odd problem. When viewing a RAW sized "to fit" from the GFX100 in C1 v.20, the rendering is visibly different than a processed version. At any other magnification, the two views are identical. Since "to fit" is useful for judging the impact of a photo, this difference is disturbing. Here are...
  4. MGrayson

New firmware for Canon Pro-1000 allows 17"x46" prints

The Canon Pro-1000 originally printed only 17"x22". An update some years ago raised that to 17"x25", and that's been the maximum for some time. The Epson P800 handles roll media, so has always had an advantage over the Canon for panoramas. The newly released firmware 3.010 for the Pro-1000...
  5. MGrayson

Viewfinders and Glasses

Since I currently have three mid-size MF systems in my home, I thought I'd compare their viewfinders from the PoV of a glasses wearer. This is, of course, only relevant to MY glasses, but the results are interesting, nevertheless. You'll have to trust me on these images. I took notes as I was...
  6. MGrayson

You thing YOUR system has high resolution...

The EHT picture of the black hole in M87 looks blurry, but the object is VERY far away. Some computation shows that the Airy disk is about 18 micro-arc-seconds. (They claim 20 micro-arc-seconds.) To put that in perspective, here's a picture of Neil Armstrong's Footprint as seen from Earth with...
  7. MGrayson

Accidental Images

A thread on aspect ratios turned to the subject of accidental images. I'll start here with my favorite examples: From an M9 that fired as I was setting it down on a bench: A misfire while carrying a Leica S(006): This is a tight crop from a picture of a discarded water bottle. I didn't...
  8. MGrayson

New A7II firmware and PDAF

I update my A7II (does anyone else still have that model?) firmware and the PDAF worked with all my Canon lenses - some pretty well (70-200/2.8v1, 135/2) and some slowly (85/1.2v1, but it's slow on anything)... until I upgraded the firmware on the Metabones to 0.46. Now none of them work again...
  9. MGrayson

Capture One v8.1 - Does Edit All Selected Variants work?

As far as I can tell, my installation C1 v8.1 ignores the state of the Edit All Selected Variants menu item as well as the clickable icon on the main screen. The icon goes light and dark, the menu gets checked and unchecked, but only the Primary Variant ever changes upon editing. This isn't a...
  10. MGrayson

Stacking software for more than just focus

If only I were willing to give in to the Adobe "pay us forever" model, I'd just get PS CC and get a bunch of stacking modes. Since I only have CS6 non-extended, that functionality is greyed out. The popular focus stacking applications don't make it clear which other stacking modes (mean...
  11. MGrayson

Epson Glossy Film

A friend inherited 10 boxes of 13"x19" Epson Photo Quality Glossy Film. Do I want them? It's nice and shiny, but very thin. And comes with a desiccant sheet and extra ziploc bags for print storage. Is this ancient technology? Still a fine paper? Good for proofing? Anyone have experience with...
  12. MGrayson

Time for a new printer!

Well, not to start the Epson/Canon/Clog wars up again, but it looks like my trusty 3800 (purchased the month they first went on sale) is dying. I think its feelings are hurt that I started printing larger. And yet there is no going back! There is a 48"x80" space in my office bordered by two...
  13. MGrayson

The importance of keeping your paper clean

I was testing some Exhibition Fiber in my trusty Epson 3800, and was mindful of the admonition to keep that paper, in particular, clear of dust. Early in the print, though, the printer started making terrible noises. I pulled the plug, ejected the media (which had an ugly hole in it), and found...
  14. MGrayson

Skin tones in Aperture/LR/PS

I was processing a Holiday Snapshot (tm) made difficult because a large nearby green awning lent the subjects a sickly cast. Here it is out of the camera: Yuck! Never mind that my daughter is OOF etc. etc. I worked on this one for the skin tone challenge. Usually messing around with white...
  15. MGrayson

Eye Relief

What camera is easiest to use with glasses? Ok, live view and ground glass are obvious winners. I have yet to find an optical viewfinder that doesn't require peering around the edges to check composition, with the exception of a rangefinder and 50mm or longer lenses. What is your experience...
  16. MGrayson

Hasselblad 500 C/M untouched for 15 years

I picked up my late mother-in-law's 500 C/M, unused since the 1990s. After perusing online manuals, I figured out how to work it, but the metal slide between the film and the shutter came out covered in black goo and a piece of sticky black tape came out of the film back with it. I assume that...
  17. MGrayson

FS: Leica 24/2.8 Elmarit ASPH

This is a wonderful lens, but I just never use it, so it's going off to support the MF Digital fund ;). The lens is in excellent shape with a bit of aluminum showing through on the hood (see the second picture below). Hood, caps, and case are included. Asking $2400. CONUS please. See the...