The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Search results

1. A

How many A850/A900 shooters are going to hold on to their cameras?

I think that Sony have done a lot to encourage new users and have also continued to supplement their existing lenses and flash so that existing users have a good choice. There are some real gaps in the lens line-up, such as a range of TS&E lenses, but that may well be changed one day. The real...
  2. A

I think in an ideal world, I'd have kept my A900 and Zeiss primes as well as "going Nikon", that said, maybe in future when the world is in less of a financial mess I will be able to afford to run both systems. I think that one must be objective and each person must use the tools they need for...
  3. A

I think that if Sony had continued with the A900 and had planned further OVFs, I would have stayed, or run both systems.
  4. A

I tried to change my screen name TWICE and got ignored both times! I don't like the OOF rendering of Nikon glass as much as Sony/Minolta, but that's life! The advantages outweigh the disadvantages for me.
  5. A

Hassy 5,000 Euro FF NEX?!

The new Hasselblad mirrorless = "the Abominable Snow Cam"! What a horror!
  6. A

I sold all my Sony A mount stuff in favour of Nikon; the combination of my dislike for EVF and the allure of the D800 proved too much and my A900, etc had to go. I don't regret this move but there are some nice things about the Sony system which I wish I could have in the Nikon. These are: 1)...
  7. A

NEX 7 Wish

Sony are a truly weird company; they produce a great camera like the NEX7 which has appeal to amateur and professional photographers alike and then issue a set of lenses (with the exception of the 24mm and perhaps the 50mm) that one could only describe as "budget". To cap it all, they do not...
  8. A

Bullish on Sony

JimBuchanan: the Sigma 19mm is a lovely little lens and cheap too. I think you'd be pleasantly surprised and find it more than acceptable.
  9. A

Bullish on Sony

It's always a difficult choice deciding on what system to use and for what purpose. I like aspects of all the current systems. For example I wouldn't mind a A900 styled and shaped body with Nikon sensor etc inside but with the Sony viewfinder (optical) and anti-shake in body (but better than...
  10. A

Bullish on Sony

Update: was an all Sony man and now I'm enjoying a Nikon D800 as well as my NEX7! The Sony A mount stuff is for sale on the Dyxum forum, should anyone be interested. (A900, A700, 16-35 CZ, 85 CZ, 135CZ, 24-105 Sony etc). This is purely a work decision as the Nikon stuff, particularly the lens...
  11. A

NEX-7, what's the verdict now?

If you are ok with an EVF (and they can take some getting used to initially), then the NEX7 is a wonderful camera. The only issue for me is that there is currently precious little choice of lenses. As to using it with adapters, I use mine with Contax G lenses and am more than happy with the...
  12. A

Is the NEX system winding down?

Nikon used another supplier for it's D700 as far as I know and there is speculation that some of it's newer APSc are using other sensors than Sony. This is purely in the realms of guesswork, rumour and speculation and you can choose who or what you believe as I don't think Nikon will ever admit...
  13. A

Fun with NEX-7

I've just used my NEX7 on a professional job for the first time. Normally I'd have used an A900 but I needed to do some quiet available light work, so armed with the Sigma 19mm and 30mm I set to work photographing a well known celeb visiting a Primary School and was very pleased with the...
  14. A

Alpha lenses that work well on the NEX

Hello there Vivek, nice to hear from you. I'd agree that the problem is with the NEX7. Your suggestion is very interesting, I had always had the understanding that the problem was with the sensor because the NEX 5 seemed better with rangefinder wide-angle lenses. So what makes you think otherwise?
  15. A

Paul2660: that's a nice lens, I sold mine when I went FF and have always regretted it. I wish there was a FF version. My Sony 24-105 is also good for the same kind of reasons. Slow Performance: I've had greater success with longer lenses such as the 135/1.8 as you have but haven't found the...
  16. A

I love my little NEX7 but don't love the lens choice available! There are one or two good ones that can be had but nothing like those available for the Olympus for example. There seems a real poverty of availability even for those that should be available with little or no stock in many UK...
  17. A

Bullish on Sony

This is a position that many of us face. The EVF took a lot to get used to with my NEX7, but I am now quite at home with it and I can see advantages as well as disadvantages with it. A good optical viewfinder such as the A900 one is hard to beat and is in many ways preferable. It is certainly...
  18. A

Bullish on Sony

I've been shooting Sony A and E for some time. I started with the Minolta 7D and went forwards having originally been a Nikon/Hasselblad/Wista shooter. Sometimes I wistfully look at Nikon gear and wonder ... D800?, Hmmm ... but so far I've stuck with Sony exclusively. Lets hope the A99 is as...
  19. A

Fun with the Sigma 19mm

The focus and camera start up are much closer to the Sony lenses and are a huge improvement on the now obviously faulty 30mm (which will be replaced). As an example, the 30mm couldn't focus on the 3rd picture (sheep's wool on barbed wire), whereas the 19 mm did it with ease.:)
  20. A

Fun with the Sigma 19mm