The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

• Recently, there has been an increased activity from spammers, which may result in you receiving unwanted private messages. We are working hard to limit this activity.

100S IBIS amazing to me

algrove

Finally found my way out of my driveway after 16 months and went shooting yesterday. Left tripod in the car all day-that is a first for me. I wanted low ISO 100 to start with and set it to f11 in daylight using 64mm on the 32-64 lens with aperture priority and let the camera picking the SS-not something would normally do either . Early shots came out at 1/50th which at my age I could never hand hold and make work. Just now zoomed in on the images at 200% in C1 and they were tack sharp. Well done Fuji._GFX0023-1400.jpg

Last edited:

Joe Colson

Lou, I agree. The IBIS in the 100S is amazing. I never thought I'd be able to shoot handheld at 1/25 sec. with a 102MP medium format camera and get sharp images. I let my ISO float up to 6400 because noise is either nonexistent or easy to remove with Topaz DeNoise AI. I'm almost 74, by the way. And not as steady handed as I used to be.

Congratulations on getting out. I'm easing my way into the world also. I like the shot of the lily pads and it has inspired me to get off my butt and take some photos. Stay safe and be well.

Joe

MGrayson

Subscriber and Workshop Member
The IBIS also makes hand-held magnified focusing possible. It's a good check in case AF gets fooled by a foreground object (tree branch).

algrove

Lou, I agree. The IBIS in the 100S is amazing. I never thought I'd be able to shoot handheld at 1/25 sec. with a 102MP medium format camera and get sharp images. I let my ISO float up to 6400 because noise is either nonexistent or easy to remove with Topaz DeNoise AI. I'm almost 74, by the way. And not as steady handed as I used to be.

Congratulations on getting out. I'm easing my way into the world also. I like the shot of the lily pads and it has inspired me to get off my butt and take some photos. Stay safe and be well.

Joe
Thanks Joe. So do you shoot in aperture mode or manual mode with your ISO floating to 6400? I was reluctant to go beyond 3200 and all images looked good at that ISO.

I started out at A mode and switched to M after a while since I was not sure how the images would come out as such a low SS. I do not remember ever going out on a landscape shoot without a tripod even when using a 24MP camera years ago which meant no one in these gardens came up beside me to replicate my compositions. Also a relief I must say. It was so hot and humid that I gave out after about 2 hours and well before the camera and the first battery might give out. I had auto off set for 2 minutes if I remember correctly. I was having so much fun that I never once looked at the LCD for chimping.

biglouis

FYI, using the 45-100 with OIS on the GFX 50R I was getting sharp results down to 1/30 and even 1/15.

LouisB

Joe Colson

Thanks Joe. So do you shoot in aperture mode or manual mode with your ISO floating to 6400? I was reluctant to go beyond 3200 and all images looked good at that ISO.
Lou, I shoot in aperture mode and let the ISO float up to 6400. I typically use Topaz DeNoise AI if the resultant ISO is >1600. I haven't used a tripod yet with the 100S.

Joe

gurtch

I am 84, and I appreciate hand holding issues. I dislike tripods, and sometimes use a monopod. I use a GFX 50R and also a Sony A7RIV which has IBIS. I do have the Fuji 100-200 with IS and I agree the IS in the lens is great, but I shoot mostly seascapes and this lens is too long for most of what I do. I was thinking about the newly announced Fuji 50 S II which will have IBIS. Biggest prints I make are 24"x32" and 50 mp is fine for that. My 50R has low mileage, but I may sell to purchase the 50S II. I am an amateur, so it is difficult to rationalize why I still "need" new stuff at my age. I prefer medium format, but find myself using the Sony more often because of the IBIS (also equipment weight issues). Thanks for sharing your experiences.
Dave in NJ
www.modernpictorials.com

algrove

Dave in NJ

I cannot agree with your logic. However for me (I am a few years behind you) for the extra $2k I would prefer the 100S over the 50SII especially since I find myself cropping more than in the past. Perhaps I am getting sloppy. When looking at my 100S images in C1 over my 50R images I definitely find a difference. You can't take it with you--enjoy life's pleasures.

Lou in FL

Reactions: spb