The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

1Ds MK III test!

gogopix

Subscriber
Marc
what happened to that great shot? actually the H3D II is on my short list.

If you can't lick em
join em

;)

robmac

I am pretty sure you can use the CF adapter on any H camera, film or digital. But I'd check with Hasselblad Tech on that just to be safe.

It's a pretty ingenious device. Because the CF lenses are mechanical, there is a lever on the left side that you use to cock the lens after each shot. Hasselblad designed it so you push it up with your left thumb which is actually faster than winding a 500. If you don't cock it, the H camera won't fire, and "Cock The Lens" shows up on the grip LCD.

If you mount any CFE lens the camera automatically knows what lens it is for metering and TTL flash control. With other lenses you use the grip menu to tell the camera which lens is mounted ... the list includes all the lenses and extenders. You do NOT have to stop down meter.

What's really cool is that there is focus confirmation in the viewfinder ... really helpful with those wide angle optics in lower light. You also have full TTL flash control in the camera with any Metz flash and the proper H module. In those ways, it's actually better than the 500 camera.

Slick, very slick.

mazor

Wow, what an excellent test Jack Flesher. It really does show that the 5D really is still a usable camera. Even with its not so good focus points, the smaller size of the 5D makes it an ideal high quality only full frame Canon travel DSLR.

It is also good to see that the 1ds mk3 does exhibit more resolution that the 1ds mk 2 and 5D. But the margin is not by much. I suspect like others have said, that this slight resolution advantage may be handy for post cropping of images.

Mazor