The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

203FE self timer with CFV II 50C

richardman

So I have been using the CFV II 50C back with my 203FE extensively in the last 2-3 weeks. There are some limitations but otherwise, it's the perfect system for me. One problem though is that I can't get the self timer on the 203FE to work with the back, as the back times out or something. The back is set to "200" as the camera body. Any thoughts?

A few pics, because. The last pic with family was taken with the 110/2

B0000951.jpg

B0000988.jpg

HappySolstice2021.jpg

leejo

I'm not sure how this would work - the firing pin of the shutter (that goes into the back to check if the darkslide is in) is used to fire the CFV shutter, if you're using the self timer that won't happen.

TechTalk

So I have been using the CFV II 50C back with my 203FE extensively in the last 2-3 weeks. There are some limitations but otherwise, it's the perfect system for me. One problem though is that I can't get the self timer on the 203FE to work with the back, as the back times out or something. The back is set to "200" as the camera body. Any thoughts?
You might try going to the "Power Off" settings menu (Main Menu » General Settings » Power » Power Off) and selecting "Never" for "Power Off". If that works for your self-timer issue; I would change the power off setting, after you're finished with the self-timer, back to whatever time works for you and not leave it set to never power off. Also, please note there are two different Power Off menu options, one for untethered shooting and the other for tethered use.

TechTalk

I'm not sure how this would work - the firing pin of the shutter (that goes into the back to check if the darkslide is in) is used to fire the CFV shutter, if you're using the self timer that won't happen.
That depends on whether the camera has been modified. When modified by Hasselblad for digital backs, the camera triggers exposure thru the electronic contacts normally used for reading film speed from an E-series film magazine. Given that the original poster indicated the 'back is set to "200" as the camera body', I assume that it is unmodified and uses the dark slide mechanism as you described.

Last edited:

lookbook

... i was once interested in having my 203 modified for digital backs.
if i remember correctly, the self-timer is removed after the modification.

but i'm not quite sure ...
it was so long ago

TechTalk

My first inclination would be to contact Hasselblad tech support and ask them about self-timer options with the 203FE/CVF II 50C combination. I've always found them quite helpful. My memory of a 200-series with a CFV back are hazy from the passage of time and I only used a modified body and only on a handful of occasions and without self-timer.

The alternative solution is to use mirror lockup / live view + sensor electronic shutter / self-timer function in the CFV II back.

Photon42

Did you try to connect the back with the body through a flash cable and maybe change the camera config of the back? In the end the back needs to grab the firing moment. An alternative may be to set the back to an esposure of more than your timer setting in the camera.

FloatingLens

@Photon42 Good idea. Here's what I found.

The following configuration turned out successful for me (with caveats):
  • 205TCC (unmodified)
  • CFV II 50c ("200" mode)
  • Flash socket connected via cable to CFV flash input
  • Trigger (twice) of mirror lockup and self timer
May or may not be relevant:
  • FE lens
  • Body in M mode
  • No cable release
Caveats:
  1. I only tried 4 seconds of self timer delay, I don't see why other delays wouldn't work
  2. Surprisingly, did not work with CFV II in "Any (Flash Sync)" mode, maybe the back simply times out
  3. Only in "200" mode said sequence triggered one useable image capture:
    • Total of 3 image captures: two unexposed frames
    • Last image of the sequence after self timer delay with shutter open

All in all, it is probably easier to use electronic shutter and self timer on the back without all the hassle above (suggestion by @TechTalk).

TechTalk

Thanks for reporting on your experiment.

The original poster hasn't responded to any of the replies generated by his question. Perhaps it's because the first reply was some months later and he's forgotten about the thread he started. Still, it may be interesting to others with a similar camera and back configuration.

Photon42

@Photon42 Good idea. Here's what I found.

The following configuration turned out successful for me (with caveats):
  • 205TCC (unmodified)
  • CFV II 50c ("200" mode)
  • Flash socket connected via cable to CFV flash input
  • Trigger (twice) of mirror lockup and self timer
May or may not be relevant:
  • FE lens
  • Body in M mode
  • No cable release
Caveats:
  1. I only tried 4 seconds of self timer delay, I don't see why other delays wouldn't work
  2. Surprisingly, did not work with CFV II in "Any (Flash Sync)" mode, maybe the back simply times out
  3. Only in "200" mode said sequence triggered one useable image capture:
    • Total of 3 image captures: two unexposed frames
    • Last image of the sequence after self timer delay with shutter open

All in all, it is probably easier to use electronic shutter and self timer on the back without all the hassle above (suggestion by @TechTalk).
What exposure time did you set the back to?

richardman

Hi, sorry, I kept meaning to answer back, but then forgot.

Anyway, I did talk to a Hasselblad tech. He isn't too familiar with the 200-series per se, but he didn't think it would work, and given @FloatingLens's experiment, it doesn't seem like there would be an easy way to do this.

However, I did purchase a Reveni "smart" shutter timer thing, to mainly use with my large format cameras, and it will serve the same function for the 203FE+CFV II 50C so I will just wait for it to show up.

Thanks!

richardman

Got the Reveni Remote Shutter Control today and it solves the problem nicely!!! It works with large format camera shutter and the 203FE and anything that takes the old school shutter release :) Expensive at $200 but well worth the money, as this would handle the long exposure too.

TechTalk

Got the Reveni Remote Shutter Control today and it solves the problem nicely!!! It works with large format camera shutter and the 203FE and anything that takes the old school shutter release :) Expensive at $200 but well worth the money, as this would handle the long exposure too.
I wasn't aware of Reveni Labs until your post. Thanks for the followup!