The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

24-105

paladin

i'd like to see thr 24-105 mystery optic myself. a excellent general tool for my kind of shooting

Jan Brittenson

Senior Subscriber Member
Keep in mind it's not an S-series lens though, so may not match other Z mount lenses in optical quality. Just saying this to avoid unrealistic expectations...

paladin

i also keep in mind that at this point its not an official lens yet to begin with. the F version at 24-120 is quite good and is the lens i roll with on my D850 and it does the job.

so it is a mythical tool at the moment. now NR charts it up as an S line product on their "leaked chart" supposedly from Nikon in July.

Attachments

Last edited:

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
I am not certain what it's aperture range will be. If we assume f4 all the way, then I am mixed -- the 24-70/4 is already a very good performer, relatively smaller and lighter for travel, and then I have the 70-300 PF-EF lens also relatively light and affordable too for travel if I need longer.

paladin

lets see what they can do with it. in my opinion the did a good job on the 24-120/4 though many tend to pan it. it works for me

it seems f4 does what i need

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
I made one of my favorite travel images ever with the 24-120 on a D800. But then it was at 24mm and I also stopped down to f8 :) But I think that's a good point, at least for travel -- most of the images I want to make with the wide end are going to be stopped down to around f8 anyway. When I get up to 50, I start to miss aperture in the small zooms; and here, even f2.8 is welcome over f4. With 85 to 105 glass, f2.8 and f4 are regular goto apertures, so anything that doesn't allow those loses my interest pretty quickly.

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Here is my 24-120 image I referred to above, one of the first I made with the lens on a D800 and my first "travel trip with it, "Round Tower" Copenhagen. IIRC, it was handheld at 1/8th sec, f8, lens VR was on: