The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

240GB XQD with 256 SD card

Mexecutioner

Has anyone ran this configuration? I tried it last night and it seems that with two cards this size the SD card cannot keep up and at some point stops recording files while the XQD is still working. The red LED on the IQ4 stayed lit several seconds after taking the last image along with the LED next to the card and it never cleared until I shut it down. I got the usual warning that the back could not be shut down as there was data being written to the card. I was given an option to shut down anyway, which I chose.

I pulled the SD and the XQD kept working fine. I pulled the XQD and put in the SD only, which seemed to work better but the trust had eroded at that point then and I just sent it back this morning.

Maybe the M series SD cards ere just not fast enough for IIQ Extended 16 files to be written to them, which require a minimum of 200MB/s to not slow the camera down.

These are the cards I was using:

Sony 240GB G Series XQD Memory Card (Max. Read Speed: 440 MB/s, Max. Write Speed: 400 MB/s)

Sony M Series SDXC UHS-II Card 256GB (Max Read Speed: 277MB/s, Max Write Speed: 150MB/s)

I am going to try the faster Sony G series SD cards that do 300/299 read/write and see if that works better. They don't come in 256GB size yet and are pricey for an SD card, but that may be the way to go to get IIQ backups on the field.

I hope they work fine so I can have redundancy for IIQ files, otherwise I'll place my trust in the XQD card alone.

kdphotography

I'll place bets the hang up is the slower SD memory card write speeds vs the XQD.

I shoot slowly using the XQD and Sandisk Extreme Pro (300/250) and this pairing works well together, but I do sense the SD is playing catch up on the rare occasions I shoot a little faster.

ken

Mexecutioner

I'll place bets the hang up is the slower SD memory card write speeds vs the XQD.

I shoot slowly using the XQD and Sandisk Extreme Pro (300/250) and this pairing works well together, but I do sense the SD is playing catch up on the rare occasions I shoot a little faster.

ken
I'll get a Sandisk Extreme Pro after the holidays and test again. Thanks!

Bill Caulfeild-Browne

FWIW I'm using a Delkin Premium XQD 120 GB card and a SanDisk Extreme Pro 128 GB XDSC II 300 MB/S. (G series)
I've had no issues with write speed.