The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

4x5 in the making

Trogster

It's not quite a 4x5, but with hope it will be ready to field test in a few days. Body is designed around the Schneider 120mm/5.6 MC lens. It offers a 179mm image circle which adequately covers 4x5. This lens has a 117.9mm flange focal distance which will allow me to keep the maximum camera depth below 6-inches.
Cone3.JPGFilm Back.JPG

Trogster

With the varnish dry, I assembled the camera and verified focus...seems to be spot-on!! (Measure twice, cut once).

Final weight with ground glass in place came in at 754 grams (1.66 lbs). That'll do just fine.

Time to load some film and run some test prints.

Final1.JPGFinal2.JPGFinal3.JPGFinal4.JPGFinal5.JPG

Last edited:

Trogster

DIY-4X5 Test1.jpgI ran a quick test this morning before the rains started.

Film: Ilford HP5 (ISO 400)
Lens 120mm, f/8, 1/500
Dev D76
Image scanner: Epson V750 @4800DPI

Looks like I have a small light leak at the lower third of the film. I have yet to install the flocking and film holder felt which should seal things up. I'll run some more tests and report back.

However the lens looks like it's set pretty accurately. The expected DOF at f/8 is 50 feet to infinity. It would appear that the lens exceeds those expectations.

Last edited:

Trogster

I installed the flocking and light seals today.... it appears the light leak we saw the other day has been resolved. Took a series of pics today and I'm fairly happy with the results. The results at f/5.6 are noticeably soft, however at f/8 and up things sharpen up rather nicely.

I think we're going to have lots of fun with this camera.Test-Pic.jpg