The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

70-200/4G ED with 20TC III on Z anyone?

Thorkil

Have anyone tried out a 20TC III on a 70-200/4G ED and perhaps further more, on a Z camera?

I guess a reliable AF might disapear? and "wide open" would mean at least f8, and going for a shutter of 1/400 iso will have to be cranked up a fair amount when out away from the bright light...

but if money for the time being is somewhat low...

Kphelan

I have been using a 70-200 f4 with the 1.4x TC III extender with great results on my Z7. Like many Nikon Z users I am awaiting a 70-200 f4 Z lens. I owned f2.8 version in F mount and hated lugging it around. The f4 was not available when I purchased it, and I could not stomach the financial hit to get the smaller lens when it came out. This time I will simply wait for an f4 Z version. Eagerly awaiting, as the f2.8 Z reports are stellar. But yes, the TC III in either flavor should you fine.

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
I have a love-hate relationship with 70-200 2.8 zooms; love their versatility and performance, hate their weight. My interim solution is the 70-300 Fx P. It is about the same weight as the 70-200/4 zoom and frankly as good optically in that range. Of course it is a tad slower optically throughout that range, but then it also goes to 300 while retaining very good performance — I suspect about on par and with the same optical speed as the 70-200/4 with the TC14 — and all in one lens.

Last edited:

Thorkil

well have to post this picture, which have several reasons not to like (iso 10.000, not tack-tack sharp, the left deer to way out of the frame)...(but I still do like it..)
I had to try out the 2.0TCE III + FTZ + 70-200/4 yesterday...well guess I'll have to wait for the 100-400/4S if I can afford it, and if still being alive when it get out...

"oh no, it's him again"
Nikon Z7 + FTZ + 2.0TC E III + 70-200/4 at 400mm iso 10.000 f8 ("full" open) 1/250 through C1pro21