The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

907x 50c now available

glennedens

Received my 907x SE grip and viewfinder today, thank you Steve at CI! Haven't tried the viewfinder yet, however the grip is really nice, comfortable and the controls and joystick are a pleasure to use. My joystick is sticking when I move to the left, however it seems to be getting more responsive as I use it. Just about to head out the door and experiment.

elm

Question for all of you using the CFVII 50c on a V series camera.

Are you checking the screen on the back prior to capture or are you trusting what you see thorugh the viewfinder (waist, 45 or 90 finders) for proper framing? Are you using the mask or getting the Acute-matte screen with the markings for the 50c to help with framing? I guess the real question is how different is your workflow with this back on a V series camera? Thank you for your thoughts in advance.

Question for all of you using the CFVII 50c on a V series camera.

Are you checking the screen on the back prior to capture or are you trusting what you see thorugh the viewfinder (waist, 45 or 90 finders) for proper framing? Are you using the mask or getting the Acute-matte screen with the markings for the 50c to help with framing? I guess the real question is how different is your workflow with this back on a V series camera? Thank you for your thoughts in advance.
Right now, framing is guesswork through the WLV or PME. I have the acute matte with 44x33 markings on order to regain the full classic 500 workflow.
I suppose the preview (LV) capability of the CFV II makes having the correct acute matte somewhat optional.

Reactions: elm
The workflow is different in the sense that acquiring critical focus, e.g. with the Sonnar Superachromat, is now finally feasible via live-view.

In my experience, it is close to impossible to achieve at full aperture (combined with the high resolution back).

Reactions: elm
Guys: is this an incredible oversight on Hasselblad‘s part or does the 907X have no facility for depth-of-field preview at all?

Godfrey

Guys: is this an incredible oversight on Hasselblad‘s part or does the 907X have no facility for depth-of-field preview at all?
I guess I don't use DOF Preview all that much because I hadn't noticed at all. :)
I see the custom command to use a button for it on the grip, but I don't see it working as yet.

Of course, when I use my V system lenses with the 907x, the DoF Preview on the lens works perfectly. :cool:

I trust something also accessible via touch will be implemented further down the line!

Working with graduated filters in the field is really much simplified with this kind of feature; and actually, I did exactly this with the XCD 45P yesterday.

Last edited:

Mexecutioner

I don't think I will ever buy one of these, but it's certainly a super sexy piece of kit. So compact with the 45P, pretty sweet.

darr

I don't think I will ever buy one of these, but it's certainly a super sexy piece of kit. So compact with the 45P, pretty sweet.
If I did not already have the CFV-50c, I would buy the back.
I am on the fence about the rest of the camera and lenses being I have a very nice ALPA setup, but I am sure the back is great.

darr

I wrote him a note in the youtube comments. It seemed he completely missed the use of the Shift button to change the Control Dial mode ... :)

G
Good that you did that Godfrey. :)
I was happy to hear him say it was his favorite camera for 2020. I want Hasselblad to sell a million of these units.

Last edited:
I wrote him a note in the youtube comments. It seemed he completely missed the use of the Shift button to change the Control Dial mode ... :)

G
Indeed... unsurprisingly, his biggest criticism! 😂

I think the shift button concept is quite ingenious. As the original Hasselblad 500 concept was right hand focussing / left hand shutter release, this would also mean left hand for the 907X control dial, but right hand to press the shift button?

To me, to use the right hand for both control dial and shift button feels utterly unergonomic. What do you reckon?

Anyway, I'd like a long press of the shift button to be an extra function, e.g. DOF preview! ;) That would make a great deal of sense to me.
Further, it could be a different function depending on whether you are on the main screen or focussing with the preview screen.

spb

To me, to use the right hand for both control dial and shift button feels utterly unergonomic. What do you reckon?
I haven't received mine yet but if the shift button is really close to the control dial it should be quite manageable - but I have to have it in my hands to try.