The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

907x 50c now available

Geoff

Not getting the negative vibe on live-view histogram: haven't had this with Credo 60 - rather, take the shot, check the histogram. Adjust. Its not like the process is costing you.... yes, you lose some instant adjustment, but doesn't seem like a deal breaker, IMHO. Of more import is shooting in portrait mode - I guess you don't pull out the flip screen. Probably works just fine - anyone been doing that?

spb

Portrait mode is really easy holding 907X in the palm of my left hand. Trigger in right hand is just right and comfortable. Very nice handling camera. Looks stunningly different from most anything else.

BTW, I was not arguing against the feature. I was just pointing out it is not that valuable. I am not sure if I would get upset because it was missing. I have always judge DoF from the playback image in my digital cameras. I have not found the DoF preview features that useful (in film it is different (unless I had Polaroids) because you really don't have the advantage of seeing that captured image).
OK, the misunderstanding is the following: my user need is not DoF preview (which can only be estimated on the screen versus the final print, correct), but to judge the final effect of NG grads on the image (and probably histogram). A DoF preview function is a prerequisite for the latter use case, that's why "the DoF preview feature is missing". :)

• Thanks
Reactions: spb
Not getting the negative vibe on live-view histogram: haven't had this with Credo 60 - rather, take the shot, check the histogram. Adjust. Its not like the process is costing you.... yes, you lose some instant adjustment, but doesn't seem like a deal breaker, IMHO. Of more import is shooting in portrait mode - I guess you don't pull out the flip screen. Probably works just fine - anyone been doing that?
Not in practice, but for that I'd imagine a sort of recessed 0 degree position of the flip screen would have been a meaningful solution to make portrait-oriented shooting viable. Now the photographer has to look at a screen, which is awkwardly angled.

Godfrey

OK, the misunderstanding is the following: my user need is not DoF preview (which can only be estimated on the screen versus the final print, correct), but to judge the final effect of NG grads on the image (and probably histogram). A DoF preview function is a prerequisite for the latter use case, that's why "the DoF preview feature is missing". :)
Pardon my density, but why do you need the DoF Preview function to judge the final effect of ND grads on the image? Since I'm not primarily a landscapist, I don't use ND grads too often, but I have used them... I don't recall much different between how the photos look when I make an exposure wide open or at some closed down lens opening. ??

Of course, without a Live View histogram, you have to look at the image post capture anyway to evaluate a histogram... :)

G

Pardon my density, but why do you need the DoF Preview function to judge the final effect of ND grads on the image? Since I'm not primarily a landscapist, I don't use ND grads too often, but I have used them... I don't recall much different between how the photos look when I make an exposure wide open or at some closed down lens opening. ??
No worries on that, Godfrey! The hardness of the graduation is also a function of the aperture diameter. I don't know the exact theory behind it, there are lots of factors, however the effect seems to vary with image format size. Essentially, it is equivalent to dust spots on the sensor that are not visible at wide apertures versus becoming more and more defined the smaller the opening/aperture. IMHO, it is of benefit to see the final effect without the need to actually take the picture.

Last edited:
Reactions: med

Godfrey

No worries on that, Godfrey! The hardness of the graduation is also a function of the aperture diameter. I don't know the exact theory behind it, there are lots of factors, however the effect seems to vary with image format size. Essentially, it is equivalent to dust spots on the sensor that are not visible at wide apertures versus becoming more and more defined the smaller the opening/aperture. IMHO, it is of benefit to see the final effect without the need to actually take the picture.
Ah, so it's a matter of the gradation edge becoming more visible as the aperture diameter is reduced ... That makes sense. Never thought of it before ... most of my use of ND grads has been rather simplistic, and I've used only a couple of very soft gradations to knock the extremes of sky values down a stop and half, feathering over 3/4 of the frame height. I can see the difference with more severe and faster grads being much more visible.

With a film camera, of course it's useless to make the exposure until you know what's going to happen, but I can't see much of a burden to making a quick exposure with a digital camera, unless there are fast winds moving the clouds around, or other such motion to deal with, such that you need an exposure to happen at a carefully timed moment.

Thanks, it all makes sense. And the DoF Preview function should be in an upcoming firmware release, at least with the Control Grip. I don't know about the Live View histogram. :)

G

spb

I asked early October, Hasselblad directly via support for Live View Histogram. Support confirmed this is now on the list for future firmware update.

Joe Colson

I asked early October, Hasselblad directly via support for Live View Histogram. Support confirmed this is now on the list for future firmware update.
Don't hold your breath. I received this directly from the X1D product manager (Ove Bengtsson) on February 9, 2017:

Me: Live histogram (EVF and rear LCD)
Ove: This is a planned feature. Will come…
I've been an X1D owner since January 2017 and have been patiently waiting for the elusive Live Histogram. Not a deal breaker at this point, but definitely a disappointment.

Joe