The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

907x 50c now available

elm

Wanted to know if anyone is using a 90 degree finder (e.g. PM-5 or PME90, etc) on your 5xx camera(s) with the CFVII 50c? Any issues on handling on tripod or hand held?

In addition, same query about shooting vertical using 907x 50c with the OVF? with the Grip?

Thank you.

darr

Wanted to know if anyone is using a 90 degree finder (e.g. PM-5 or PME90, etc) on your 5xx camera(s) with the CFVII 50c? Any issues on handling on tripod or hand held?

In addition, same query about shooting vertical using 907x 50c with the OVF? with the Grip?

Thank you.

I shoot a 501CM and a 503CX with a PM90 (use live view for metering) and a CFV-50c. I do not think there is much size difference between the CFV-50c and the CFVII. With the PM90 it has always been a tight fit between film magazines or digital back, and that is why there is an additional release button on the viewfinder for locking and releasing the backs because you cannot get your finger under it to reach the release button of the magazine/back. It may take a little getting use to because of the tight fit to get a back under it, but I am use to it and have no difficulties. I shoot with it all the time. My 503CX is set up exclusively for digital shooting and has the PM90 permanently on it. I shoot vertically a lot with it on a small gimbal with no issues; it is a nice setup.

My 501CM has a PME51 (has light meter built in) in its bag for 45 degree shooting. If you try to shoot vertically, it will be a little odd feeling. I have done it on a tripod and found myself stepping to the side of the camera more than normal to look through the viewfinder. I use it for 45 degree shooting with a 16-H film back.

If I had to choose only one viewfinder for handheld it would depend if I was shooting square or not.
If not square, the PME90 (would need meter), if square, the waist level.

Hope this helps,
Darr

Reactions: elm

FloatingLens

The CFV II is perfectly compatible with my PME90 and 500C/M.
Take care though that the magazine lever on the PME90 is working. Otherwise it will be difficult in the field to separate the back from the body.

mristuccia

I have the Mk I version and what I can say is that mounting a PM90 or 45 will increase the weight a lot, to the poimt that hand holding will cause fatigue, especially if the CW winder is attached as well.
I tried this fit on the street (500CW + CFV-50c + PM90 + CW winder) and after 15 min of hand-holding I gave up.
I ended up shooting vanilla with waist level only.

On tripod of course there are no problems at all. In this case I use the PM90 with an additional flip-magnifier for fine focus.

nameBrandon

I have the Mk I version and what I can say is that mounting a PM90 or 45 will increase the weight a lot, to the poimt that hand holding will cause fatigue, especially if the CW winder is attached as well.
I tried this fit on the street (500CW + CFV-50c + PM90 + CW winder) and after 15 min of hand-holding I gave up.
I ended up shooting vanilla with waist level only.

On tripod of course there are no problems at all. In this case I use the PM90 with an additional flip-magnifier for fine focus.
Agreed.. My back can't take it hunched over with that much weight. It's a great idea in theory but the 500 body + lens + cfvii is a bear. Maybe with an angled viewfinder it might be a bit better, but I'll just stick with the 907x + V adapter if I need to use the V-lenses without a tripod.

Godfrey

Agreed.. My back can't take it hunched over with that much weight. It's a great idea in theory but the 500 body + lens + cfvii is a bear. Maybe with an angled viewfinder it might be a bit better, but I'll just stick with the 907x + V adapter if I need to use the V-lenses without a tripod.
I haven't had much problem walking about with the 500CM+CFVII 50c+Planar 80mm+WL finder. It's heavy, but it sits on my neck strap tucked under my arm as I walk, and I pivot it up to shoot, the strap acts both to distribute the weight around my neck and shoulder, and stabilize the camera. The 50mm, 120mm, and 150mm lenses are bulkier and a little bit heavier, but it doesn't seem to be that difficult to carry them and get sharp hand-held photos.

Pipe - Santa Clara 2020
Hasselblad 500CM + CFVII 50c + Planar 80mm f/2.8 T*

enjoy!
G

FloatingLens

Beautiful product! Please let me know if you have any specific questions about the camera. We are working on a major piece about the camera and we may get some answers directly from Hasselblad.
An EV reading on the CFV II 50c digital back while the mirror is locked up (500 series camera mode) would be extremely helpful... similar to what can be seen with native XCD lenses.
Could this be activated as an option in a subsequent firmware update of the digital back (in standalone configuration without the 907X)?

usm

Have a 907x CfV II 50c for the Weekend.
Is it possible to use the focus peaking AND zoom in manual focus mode?
Thanks

JAB

Jeff, if you go to the SD Card.org page that I linked in my first post above, you can download the SDFormatter app in Windows format from there. I strongly encourage you to do that rather than use other formatting tools ... It does the right job for sure, according to the SD Card specification. (It wasn't clear whether you'd use Windows native volume format tools from your reply, thus my response.)

I'm pretty sure the the distinction between 3FR and FFF is simply the difference between the processing power required to produce them. I cannot see any difference whatever in the finished products.

I've used Phocus Mobile 2 a bit more on iPadOS than Phocus on macOS. I get very much the same output no matter which of the two I use when I export a good exposure with no editing at all to TIFF or JPEG, directly from the raw files.

G
Godfrey, I have now used the SDFormatter app in windows every time that I have down loaded from the card. The card has performed perfect ever since. So, I believe the primary issue I was having was the formatting of the card. This includes formatting within the camera. Using the SD Card.org formatter appears to have cured the issue.

THANK YOU AGAIN FOR THE COACHING!! (y)

GetDPI Rocks!

Jeff

spb

Staff member
Godfrey, I have now used the SDFormatter app in windows every time that I have down loaded from the card. The card has performed perfect ever since. So, I believe the primary issue I was having was the formatting of the card. This includes formatting within the camera. Using the SD Card.org formatter appears to have cured the issue.

THANK YOU AGAIN FOR THE COACHING!! (y)

GetDPI Rocks!

Jeff
I have never used this to format cards in camera. I ALWAYS formatted in camera. After every shoot, I download images to Hard Disk and format the card in camera again.

However after re-reading this thread I reformatted my selection of cards using SDFormatter. Much to my surprise I put one of those newly formatted cards in camera and saw it is recognised and usable. I did not expect that thinking that it MUST be formatted in camera.

So my question. Format card with SDFormatter, pop in camera, take images copy to HD and then what? 1. delete all images? 2. Format in SDFormatter? 3. Do you never format in camera?

JAB

I have never used this to format cards in camera. I ALWAYS formatted in camera. After every shoot, I download images to Hard Disk and format the card in camera again.

However after re-reading this thread I reformatted my selection of cards using SDFormatter. Much to my surprise I put one of those newly formatted cards in camera and saw it is recognised and usable. I did not expect that thinking that it MUST be formatted in camera.

So my question. Format card with SDFormatter, pop in camera, take images copy to HD and then what? 1. delete all images? 2. Format in SDFormatter? 3. Do you never format in camera?
I too have always formatted in camera, whether it be Canon, Sony, Olympus, GoPro, etc., or my Hasselblad CFV16. But in the case of the 50c, I had repeated card issues. Now after following Godfrey's suggestion of the SDFormatter, I have had no issues with the card. I now always have 2 cards in the 50c with one being backup.

I have been just copying the images to the HD then formatting with SDFormatter. I no longer format in the 50c. To date, I have had no further issues with my cards.

Reactions: spb

mristuccia

Never had a single problem when formatting my Sandisk CF card directly with my CFV-50c Mk 1.
I always format in-camera. If it does not work, I don't take the risk and I simply replace the card.

spb

Staff member
mristuccia and Jab.

That is interesting both of you my experience is exactly like yours mristuccia but in my case formatting in all sorts of cameras.

However like Jab, on my X1D II I now have experienced one card that I have been using in my previous GFX camera with absolutely no issues. Suddenly that card was not being recognised in my reader. So I reformatted using the SDFormatter, and all cards are now recognised in camera and reader.

So for me this is a new experience. Having never formatted other than in the camera. I see that SDFormatter seems to work where the camera format sometimes does not.

Godfrey

I'm not enough of an expert on all cameras to say that they all do the job correctly or incorrectly with their in-camera format command. And I've only had a couple of minor file errors with SD cards over all the years I've been using SD card cameras, and all the many thousands of exposures.

But my experience seems to indicate that if I have any problems at all with a card not mounting properly or quickly, whether in camera or in a card reader connected to my computer, once I've gotten my data off it (presuming that I had written any there), formatting it once with SDFormatter solves the issue entirely ... and that regardless of whether I do subsequent formatting with any of the cameras' internal format commands.

I suspect from this that some cards, either when initially formatted by the camera or initially formatted by whatever system the Manufacturers used to prepare them for packaging, have a defective or incomplete volume format what was not to spec in some 'not ordinarily reachable part of the volume format, and that problem is what SDFormatter solves since it implements the SD card volume format to spec in its entirety. It is a very low level tool even in its quick format mode, probably lower level than the format pass that most of the in-camera format commands implement.

I now prepare ALL SD cards for use by first formatting them with SDFormatter, and have been since I bought my M9 in 2012. I've never had any card initialized with it have any problems at all, whether I subsequently just deleted files from the card or used an in-camera format command to clear it for use.

G

spb

Staff member
Godfrey I shall be doing the same henceforth thank you for your information.

Reactions: JAB

glennedens

Received my 907x SE grip and viewfinder today, thank you Steve at CI! Haven't tried the viewfinder yet, however the grip is really nice, comfortable and the controls and joystick are a pleasure to use. My joystick is sticking when I move to the left, however it seems to be getting more responsive as I use it. Just about to head out the door and experiment.

elm

Question for all of you using the CFVII 50c on a V series camera.

Are you checking the screen on the back prior to capture or are you trusting what you see thorugh the viewfinder (waist, 45 or 90 finders) for proper framing? Are you using the mask or getting the Acute-matte screen with the markings for the 50c to help with framing? I guess the real question is how different is your workflow with this back on a V series camera? Thank you for your thoughts in advance.

FloatingLens

Question for all of you using the CFVII 50c on a V series camera.

Are you checking the screen on the back prior to capture or are you trusting what you see thorugh the viewfinder (waist, 45 or 90 finders) for proper framing? Are you using the mask or getting the Acute-matte screen with the markings for the 50c to help with framing? I guess the real question is how different is your workflow with this back on a V series camera? Thank you for your thoughts in advance.
Right now, framing is guesswork through the WLV or PME. I have the acute matte with 44x33 markings on order to regain the full classic 500 workflow.
I suppose the preview (LV) capability of the CFV II makes having the correct acute matte somewhat optional.

FloatingLens

The workflow is different in the sense that acquiring critical focus, e.g. with the Sonnar Superachromat, is now finally feasible via live-view.

In my experience, it is close to impossible to achieve at full aperture (combined with the high resolution back).

FloatingLens

Guys: is this an incredible oversight on Hasselblad‘s part or does the 907X have no facility for depth-of-field preview at all?