The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

907x 50c now available

Godfrey

No worries on that, Godfrey! The hardness of the graduation is also a function of the aperture diameter. I don't know the exact theory behind it, there are lots of factors, however the effect seems to vary with image format size. Essentially, it is equivalent to dust spots on the sensor that are not visible at wide apertures versus becoming more and more defined the smaller the opening/aperture. IMHO, it is of benefit to see the final effect without the need to actually take the picture.
Ah, so it's a matter of the gradation edge becoming more visible as the aperture diameter is reduced ... That makes sense. Never thought of it before ... most of my use of ND grads has been rather simplistic, and I've used only a couple of very soft gradations to knock the extremes of sky values down a stop and half, feathering over 3/4 of the frame height. I can see the difference with more severe and faster grads being much more visible.

With a film camera, of course it's useless to make the exposure until you know what's going to happen, but I can't see much of a burden to making a quick exposure with a digital camera, unless there are fast winds moving the clouds around, or other such motion to deal with, such that you need an exposure to happen at a carefully timed moment.

Thanks, it all makes sense. And the DoF Preview function should be in an upcoming firmware release, at least with the Control Grip. I don't know about the Live View histogram. :)

G

spb

Staff member
I asked early October, Hasselblad directly via support for Live View Histogram. Support confirmed this is now on the list for future firmware update.

JAB

I too have requested both DoF preview and live histogram. Hopefully, the more chime in the better the possibility?! :)

Reactions: spb

elm

I just realized that the strap lug on the standard edition (horizontal) is different than the special edition (vertical)! The way they did the standard edition does not make sense because the ring sits in a weird positison to either point the lens upward or downward (again all relative to ones own preference on carrying the camera).

Are any of you using the Peak Design strap(s) with the anchors? Can you put the string of the anchor through the strap lug on the camera thus not use the O-rings? Other straps that works for you other than the one that come with the 907x 50c (trying not to scream out Hasselblad more than I have to while working around, and yes, the chrome already does that--why the black SE might have been a better choice/option--oh well!).

Appreciate any advice or insight.

Please be safe and be well!

jotloob

Subscriber Member
I just realized that the strap lug on the standard edition (horizontal) is different than the special edition (vertical)! The way they did the standard edition does not make sense because the ring sits in a weird positison to either point the lens upward or downward (again all relative to ones own preference on carrying the camera). . . . .

Please be safe and be well!
I have noticed the very same and asked myself if it makes sense or not .
I think , it makes sense , because when I carry the 907x with a strap attached , the lens will then point down (for me) .
For a MF camera like the 907x , possibly having a 135mm lens attached , this seems to be better .

Reactions: elm

peterb

Hi everyone, Really enjoyed reading this thread about this apparently fantastic camera.

I have been looking at the X1D and the 907X and am leaning toward the form factor of the 907X as I like the flip out screen.

One question though. The X1D has a dedicated "focus lock" (which Hasselblad refers to as "AF-D") which comes in handy in some situations where you don't want to refocus every time you take a shot and may want to take several shots without having to refocus each time like, for example, focusing on some point and get ready to fire off one or two shots when a moving subject lands on it?

I noticed that on the 907X that feature seems to be available (or at least have a dedicated button) via the rather pricey grip but no other way to achieve a "focus-lock" via the touch screen.

Or I there? (And if there isn't is there a "work around" like focusing and then switching to MF by giving the focus ring twist -- which, as I think I understand it, turns off AF and goes into MF -- to keep the last focus point and then making minor adjustments manually?)

Thanks!

nameBrandon

Hi everyone, Really enjoyed reading this thread about this apparently fantastic camera.

I have been looking at the X1D and the 907X and am leaning toward the form factor of the 907X as I like the flip out screen.

One question though. The X1D has a dedicated "focus lock" (which Hasselblad refers to as "AF-D") which comes in handy in some situations where you don't want to refocus every time you take a shot and may want to take several shots without having to refocus each time like, for example, focusing on some point and get ready to fire off one or two shots when a moving subject lands on it?

I noticed that on the 907X that feature seems to be available (or at least have a dedicated button) via the rather pricey grip but no other way to achieve a "focus-lock" via the touch screen.

Or I there? (And if there isn't is there a "work around" like focusing and then switching to MF by giving the focus ring twist -- which, as I think I understand it, turns off AF and goes into MF -- to keep the last focus point and then making minor adjustments manually?)

Thanks!
I'm not aware of any way to do this on the CFV2/907x without the grip. I was in a similar situation prior to the grip being released with AEL.. X1D II has a button, 907x did not.

Manually turning the focus ring doesn't bring the camera into MF mode.. I just tested it. Perhaps I have some setting that prevents that behavior, but I've never noticed it working like that on the 907x (and I use that behavior all the time on my Sony cameras).

The grip is great though, definitely get it! I haven't taken if of my camera since the day it arrived.

spb

Staff member
The grip is great though, definitely get it! I haven't taken if of my camera since the day it arrived.
On order...... but good to hear such positive things. My issue with the camera without the grip, is that I am not used to handling it, and have quite often picked it up with lens cap still on and pressed the shutter button inadvertently, thereby creating a long exposure....... I also don't have big hands. I would appreciate a lock on the shutter button mechanism.

So with the grip, is the shutter button inactive? Do you walk around with the lenses you have holding the camera by the grip without issues like feeling it is not secure enough to hold the weight of the lenses? (Obviously with the 45/4P that is no issue.)

nameBrandon

On order...... but good to hear such positive things. My issue with the camera without the grip, is that I am not used to handling it, and have quite often picked it up with lens cap still on and pressed the shutter button inadvertently, thereby creating a long exposure....... I also don't have big hands. I would appreciate a lock on the shutter button mechanism.

So with the grip, is the shutter button inactive? Do you walk around with the lenses you have holding the camera by the grip without issues like feeling it is not secure enough to hold the weight of the lenses? (Obviously with the 45/4P that is no issue.)
I'm probably in the minority as I'd never used a V-series camera prior to the CFV/907x, so I had similar ergonomic issues as you. While I didn't hit the shutter button often, it did always feel like I had a very precarious hold on the camera and I thought I would eventually drop it.

The grip provides a much more stable hold. I typically hold the camera with both hands when shooting (right hand on the grip, left hand under the camera body), the lenses are heavy so a one handed hold with the grip will put a fair amount of strain on your right wrist. You can certainly shoot one handed, I just find it more comfortable with two. Shooting portrait becomes much easier though with the grip, I switch between landscape and portrait orientation very easily now, whereas without the grip it was somewhat unnatural to do that.

The grip does not disable the shutter button, though I would love if Hasselblad let us re-map the 907x shutter button if the grip is attached. That would be really helpful! My guess is that with the grip attached you'll pick up and hold the camera different enough that accidentally pressing the 907x shutter button won't happen very often.

• Thanks

spb

Staff member
am in the same minority..... I have similar thought of eventually dropping it. Thank you for yaour thoughts.

Godfrey

I just realized that the strap lug on the standard edition (horizontal) is different than the special edition (vertical)! The way they did the standard edition does not make sense because the ring sits in a weird positison to either point the lens upward or downward (again all relative to ones own preference on carrying the camera).

Are any of you using the Peak Design strap(s) with the anchors? Can you put the string of the anchor through the strap lug on the camera thus not use the O-rings? Other straps that works for you other than the one that come with the 907x 50c (trying not to scream out Hasselblad more than I have to while working around, and yes, the chrome already does that--why the black SE might have been a better choice/option--oh well!).
I have noticed the very same and asked myself if it makes sense or not .
I think , it makes sense , because when I carry the 907x with a strap attached , the lens will then point down (for me) .
For a MF camera like the 907x , possibly having a 135mm lens attached , this seems to be better .
Never really looked at the direction of the lugs on the Special Edition ... I use the Peak Design anchors and Leash neck strap. This strap system works great!

After years of carrying a Hasselblad 500CM and SWC around, I kinda wonder why they didn't use the same excellent Hasselblad quick-release strap lugs on the 907x. A 500CM with the standard strap naturally tends to hang lens down with that system, and I find it very comfortable to carry that way—the lens is reasonably protected against damage (particularly if you keep a lens hood on it) and the camera rotates upwards to shooting position fast and easily. Using the PD strap with the 907x and the XCD21mm does the same thing and provides a lot of familiarity and comfort for me.

BUT ... The XCD 45P lens is so short and light that the heaviest component on the camera is the CFVII 50c back. Argh! IN this configuration, the camera tends to hang tail down, with the lens up, which is the worst because I'm constantly worrying about stuff landing on the lens' front element as I carry the camera. So it's either leave the hood off and keep putting the lens cap on after I make an exposure, or use a hood hat to protect the lens whenever I'm just walking. The grip and OVF doesn't help much, although its extension to the body changes the body's center of mass such that it will tend to hang neutrally a bit more, and the OVF tends to keep it nose down more easily, but the whole assembly is a bit bulky and not as comfortable to walk with. With the XCD21, it always tends to nose down, of course, due to the weight and length of that lens.

A better walking solution with the 45P, for me, in either grip or gripless configuration is to keep a PD tripod plate secured on the bottom of the camera and use the PD anchor on one of its corners or in the shutter-side strap lug, and use the Cuff wrist strap with it. That's similar to how I used to walk about with the SWC: using the short HB strap (10") wrapped across the back of the camera, I just kept it in my hand and the strap acted as a wrist strap. The 907x + 45P, sans Grip but with the OVF fitted, works very nicely in this configuration too.

Carl's solution may work for many, but it doesn't work for me at all ... I just cannot stand to have a camera hung about my neck. When I use a neck strap, I always wear a camera bandolier style such that it tucks into my side, under my arm or across my back, as I'm walking and I pull it up and across diagonally to make an exposure. :)

G

Last edited:
  • Thanks

spb

Staff member
I have the same Peak Design anchors and Leash neck strap and so far it is working well walking about.

Godfrey

Thanks Joe!
Yes, I forgot that. I use the little oval split-rings (not o-rings ... geeky nit pick LOL!) provided with the anchors. :)

G

timwier

The 907x looks like a great option to replace a couple of current camera systems. I like to shoot vertical panos to stitch to a horizontal 6:4 or 2:1.
Is there a way to attach the 907X to a tripod in a portrait (vertical) position? I have not seen an L bracket for the camera anywhere at this point.

Jared

The 907x looks like a great option to replace a couple of current camera systems. I like to shoot vertical panos to stitch to a horizontal 6:4 or 2:1.
Is there a way to attach the 907X to a tripod in a portrait (vertical) position? I have not seen an L bracket for the camera anywhere at this point.
I am not aware of anyone making a dedicated L bracket for the 907 yet. You could use a universal bracket, though--it would fit easily enough. Wouldn't look super 'elegant' but it would be perfectly functional for this use. The only issue would be that the rear screen would be tilted at an odd angle with the camera oriented vertically. Otherwise, should be fine.

timwier

I also found an L bracket from Markins for the Hasselblad LH-4 which looks like it might work.

Godfrey

I tried three different L-brackets and found this one worked best: Desmond DAL-1 QR L Plate. I bought it from B&H Photo and it was very inexpensive. The Three-Legged Thing and the Arca-Swiss L plates work well too, but this one seems to fit the 907x best.

Click image for more photos of the 907x fitted to this plate.
The issue using camera plates on the 907x is the wide but narrow seating area for the plate. Plates which have rubberized material on the seating area often allow the camera to tilt when the securing bolt is tightened.

G