The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

A major update!

olafphoto

Administrator
Staff member
We spent several full days getting the original color scheme set -- it is not easy to do with the canned software options as changing one color often affects the background or print color in a couple of the other lesser-used functions, creating conflicts where you didn't expect any. Hopefully they get us an easier on the eyes and friendlier to images color scheme over the next few days. Good work so far, it is not an easy undertaking.
Thank you so much for your support Jack. Yes, we are going to introduce a different, grey colour theme later this week.

olafphoto

Administrator
Staff member
Hello Olaf,

congratulations for the update! :) Love the look of the new forum, and while I appreciate those needing a darker scheme, it would be great if you could leave this one as well as an option - I for one prefer to read dark text on white paper, I guess that shows my age... :D

Keep up the good work, looking forward to what's next! Best regards,

Vieri
We will do our best Vieri. Thank you for your support.

fotoism

I concur with other members a dark/darker theme would be nice, but personally I don't like black on white or white on black, too much contrast for my old eyes. A darker shade of gray would be wonderful.

Thorkil

Somebody are sometime accusing me for being left-wing. But despite that I'm actually rather conservative (we have to have solid and qualitativ based society-preserving institution in which people can rely on, which can offer people a trustworthy companionship in their ongoing life, and which a staying on solid ground in a life where all the populistic nonsence are blowing peoples sensible minds away...).

I'm just speaking straight out, the other day when I turned getdpi on, I simply got a shock, and I then thanked life for not being older than I am,

for then there might have been need for an ambulance-rescue...

Well...I felt homeless and left out alone in the nowhere-land, got pale, big eyes, heavy breathing-.....

First of all the missing of the very nice dark/grey/pastel-tendency colours....ough...now just pale as ... nothing - but then I saw a rescue might be on the way, in the headlines.."including a darker theme"...that might be my rescue. Keep it for gods sake soft, delicate, modest, delicious, pastel-like (/darker).

But, yes I know, the site was almost laying in the grave, and yes the average-age might have been constantly growing up and up, and some have been falling apart and over the edge...so younger blod might realistic been very welcome to stay alive..

And thanks Olaf and his companions for their effort !!! While the elefants might be saved for this time...

and I'm just an grumpy architect over there in Europe

But keep the spirit high and on guys, despite the melancholic words
Kind Regards from Thorkil

Godfrey

While I like the middle gray surround and background of the old GetDPI, and that is indeed what I use when doing my first rendering in LR or other image processing tools, in fact my photos are nearly always exhibited/presented in museum type framing: white over-mat in a black frame. As a result, when I'm doing the finishing on rendering for printing, I switch the background color to white so that I can get the colors and density correct for that display style.

The result of this disparity is that for tricky images, I have to have two renderings: one for the museum style traditional display of MOST photo forums and another for the GetDPI-style darker exhibit environments (and borderless, since that in most cases resolves to be the same as having a darker border). In fact, one of the reasons I switched my standard JPEG output for forums to include a decently wide white border with a light drop shadow was to eliminate the need for a second JPEG display piece for darker themed websites ... The white border and drop shadow provides the eye relief required such that my standard rendering works on whichever theme for a website I put the photos up on. Now I have a completely borderless output that is intended for iPhone and iPad display, full screen, and the bordered output that goes on all web posts.

I have also found over many years that the white text on black theme (what I think of as "old terminal style") that many people seem to like really tires my eyes out, particularly at night, and that black text on off-white is much more restful, particularly in low ambient light situations.

So ... The new GetDPI theme is fine by me as is, and if a darker theme is also available I'd like to see both available as options, switchable at user discretion. And, of course, I have to say another "Thank You!" to Olaf and his team who are making all these changes and putting up with all our requests for somewhat contradictory things. It's a tough job and you folks are doing a wonderful job despite that. :D

G

olafphoto

Administrator
Staff member
While I like the middle gray surround and background of the old GetDPI, and that is indeed what I use when doing my first rendering in LR or other image processing tools, in fact my photos are nearly always exhibited/presented in museum type framing: white over-mat in a black frame. As a result, when I'm doing the finishing on rendering for printing, I switch the background color to white so that I can get the colors and density correct for that display style.

The result of this disparity is that for tricky images, I have to have two renderings: one for the museum style traditional display of MOST photo forums and another for the GetDPI-style darker exhibit environments (and borderless, since that in most cases resolves to be the same as having a darker border). In fact, one of the reasons I switched my standard JPEG output for forums to include a decently wide white border with a light drop shadow was to eliminate the need for a second JPEG display piece for darker themed websites ... The white border and drop shadow provides the eye relief required such that my standard rendering works on whichever theme for a website I put the photos up on. Now I have a completely borderless output that is intended for iPhone and iPad display, full screen, and the bordered output that goes on all web posts.

I have also found over many years that the white text on black theme (what I think of as "old terminal style") that many people seem to like really tires my eyes out, particularly at night, and that black text on off-white is much more restful, particularly in low ambient light situations.

So ... The new GetDPI theme is fine by me as is, and if a darker theme is also available I'd like to see both available as options, switchable at user discretion. And, of course, I have to say another "Thank You!" to Olaf and his team who are making all these changes and putting up with all our requests for somewhat contradictory things. It's a tough job and you folks are doing a wonderful job despite that. :D

G
Thank you for your feedback. Surprises are coming! :)

SimonW

Administrator
Staff member
I'm still configuring it so its not activated yet but there is a button on the taskbar which by clicking will switch you between a light and a dark version so you can choose. It also has the ability for you to to select a few different ways of displaying things such as moving the sidebar to the other side, having the sidebar stay when you scroll down the page or have it static so it disappears when you scroll, have forums list in a grid mode rather than row mode and also have the forum width be fluid (so it uses the full screen no matter the size of screen being used) or static (where once your screen exceeds a certain amount it wont stretch further and will just have blank space down the side). So you will be able to customise it a fair amount to your taste

olafphoto

Administrator
Staff member
Thank you for the update, Olaf! :) I am looking forward to the new forum, and I am sure that what differences there will be in the user experience will be more than compensated by the new look and functionality. After all, we are all ready to learn a new camera when it gives us new and better features, so why wouldn't we be ready to learn how to use a new forum's software for the same reasons? Plus, I am pretty sure that it won't really be too testing :)

Good luck with the move! :)

Best regards,

Vieri
Thank you Vieri for your support. It is always great seeing your posts and imagery. Let's spread the news about this new forum :)

olafphoto

Administrator
Staff member
I can't say I am sorry to see the old GetDPI logo gone--no offence to Jack, Bob, or Guy, but it was dasai, as they say in Japan.

I am looking forward to watching the evolution of the site. (Hopefully, the thanks button will be recovered--it is nice to distinguish between a like and a thanks.)

And thanks for all the trophies. Not sure what they are, but that does not stop me from liking them.

Onward!
The "Thanks" button is back!

olafphoto

Administrator
Staff member
We spent several full days getting the original color scheme set -- it is not easy to do with the canned software options as changing one color often affects the background or print color in a couple of the other lesser-used functions, creating conflicts where you didn't expect any. Hopefully they get us an easier on the eyes and friendlier to images color scheme over the next few days. Good work so far, it is not an easy undertaking.
Absolutely! We are still tuning some details, especially in the dark version.