The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

A major update!

olafphoto

Administrator
Staff member
Looks more modern, that is nice! I kind of miss the old color scheme though. It was pleasant to read, and something different from all the other forums which happen to be blue and white ;-)
Our dark version is going to be similar to the old one. We are still tuning it.

olafphoto

Administrator
Staff member
While I like the middle gray surround and background of the old GetDPI, and that is indeed what I use when doing my first rendering in LR or other image processing tools, in fact my photos are nearly always exhibited/presented in museum type framing: white over-mat in a black frame. As a result, when I'm doing the finishing on rendering for printing, I switch the background color to white so that I can get the colors and density correct for that display style.

The result of this disparity is that for tricky images, I have to have two renderings: one for the museum style traditional display of MOST photo forums and another for the GetDPI-style darker exhibit environments (and borderless, since that in most cases resolves to be the same as having a darker border). In fact, one of the reasons I switched my standard JPEG output for forums to include a decently wide white border with a light drop shadow was to eliminate the need for a second JPEG display piece for darker themed websites ... The white border and drop shadow provides the eye relief required such that my standard rendering works on whichever theme for a website I put the photos up on. Now I have a completely borderless output that is intended for iPhone and iPad display, full screen, and the bordered output that goes on all web posts.

I have also found over many years that the white text on black theme (what I think of as "old terminal style") that many people seem to like really tires my eyes out, particularly at night, and that black text on off-white is much more restful, particularly in low ambient light situations.

So ... The new GetDPI theme is fine by me as is, and if a darker theme is also available I'd like to see both available as options, switchable at user discretion. And, of course, I have to say another "Thank You!" to Olaf and his team who are making all these changes and putting up with all our requests for somewhat contradictory things. It's a tough job and you folks are doing a wonderful job despite that. :D

G
Thank you for your support. Yes, you can switch between DARK and BRIGHT modes.

KeithDM

Well, after three weeks away sans wi-fi and only one bar of 4G (so no logging on) I come back to find everything has changed! Crisp, clean and modern - and it seems to have been a smooth transition. Congrats to all involved - kudos!

olafphoto

Administrator
Staff member
Well, after three weeks away sans wi-fi and only one bar of 4G (so no logging on) I come back to find everything has changed! Crisp, clean and modern - and it seems to have been a smooth transition. Congrats to all involved - kudos!
Thank you so much for your kind words and support. It means a lot! :)

Sapphie

On the old site, from the list of threads in a given section, you could jump to the last post of a selected thread. Now, we can go to the last page but not the last posted entry.

Lee

Elliot

On the old site, from the list of threads in a given section, you could jump to the last post of a selected thread. Now, we can go to the last page but not the last posted entry.

Lee
I think this is similar to my query. Within a thread, you could have the postings in reverse order, so the first post you see is the very latest posting.

Am I missing something, or has this not been implemented?

olafphoto

Administrator
Staff member
Thank you so much!