The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

A7r, A7r2 - and why I'm keeping both ...

k-hawinkler

Today some high-flying cranes heading north.

I managed to take just one shot. <-- not true
(I discovered ClamXAV quarantined the rest of the images (n) or (y) correctly so!)
Well, here it is.

A9 2x TC FE 100-400 @ 200mm

Processed on M1 Mac mini with C1P 20 and Nik Define 2 from 2015. :cool:

Last edited:

k-hawinkler

Clearly the Sony FE 400 mm F2.8 GM OSS and FE 600 mm F4 GM OSS were designed with the Sony A1 in mind.

Quote:
"
XD Motors for fast, precise, tenacious AF
Two XD (extreme dynamic) linear motors provide fast, precise AF and reliable tracking. The SEL600F40GM brings out the best in modern camera bodies, effortlessly maintaining accurate focus on fast-moving sports and wildlife subjects. A control algorithm developed specifically for these motors contributes to fast positioning of the large focus group with minimum delay and vibration.
"

k-hawinkler

k-hawinkler

Mmm, was there something to nibble ? At least it didn't get cold feet ... :)
Thanks Bart. For sure there is.
The Rabbit doesn’t seem to mind taking advantage of the plentiful Bird seeds we set out.
I have even seen Mule Deer munching out of the Bird feeder.
Our horses used to do the same although they got plenty of hay and grain.

Knorp

Well, after the A1 buffer is full you can go on shooting at 11 FPS until your card is full.
Bart, how bad is that? :cool:
Thanks, K-H. Just asking because I couldn't get the links to open (TopicID not specified).
But I think 11 FPS would be good enough for me.
Now the question is: am I willing to cough up the dough for the A1 or wait for an A7R incarnation with that new menu :unsure:
Better start looking for a fence ...

All the best.

k-hawinkler

Another improvement of the A1 over A9, A9.2. Wheres the A9s are heating up and slowing down in extended high speed use, the A1 doesn’t. It just stays cool and chucks along.BTW I have never noticed my A9 slowing down. Apparently I have never beaten up my A9 badly enough, assuming dclark at fredmiranda.com, who did these measurements, is correct.

Quoting from the article:

”Operationally these results can be summarized as follows:
(a) There is no noticeable thermal effect in the A1.
(b) The CFE-A captured about 220 frames before the rate drops from 30fps to about 11fps.
(c) The SD card captured about 150 frames before the rate drops from 30fps to less than 5fps.
(d) The CFE-A clears the full buffer in 11.5 sec.
(e) The SD card clears the full buffer in 27 sec.”

So getting the most out of an A1 requires using CFE-A cards. Oh well.

Last edited:

Knorp

Another improvement of the A1 over A9, A9.2. Wheres the A9s are heating up and slowing down in extended high speed use, the A1 doesn’t. It just stays cool and chucks along.BTW I have never noticed my A9 slowing down. Apparently I have never beaten up my A9 badly enough, assuming dclark at fredmiranda.com, who did these measurements, is correct.

Quoting from the article:

”Operationally these results can be summarized as follows:
(a) There is no noticeable thermal effect in the A1.
(b) The CFE-A captured about 220 frames before the rate drops from 30fps to about 11fps.
(c) The SD card captured about 150 frames before the rate drops from 30fps to less than 5fps.
(d) The CFE-A clears the full buffer in 11.5 sec.
(e) The SD card clears the full buffer in 27 sec.”

So getting the most out of an A1 requires using CFE-A cards. Oh well.
No CFE-B cards then ?