The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

• Recently, there has been an increased activity from spammers, which may result in you receiving unwanted private messages. We are working hard to limit this activity.

A7rII with Canon AF database reference.

dmward

With new firmware auto focus works on:
24mm F1.4L V 1 OK
35mm F1.4L OK
50mm F1.4 OK
55mm Macro OK
200mm F2.8 L II OK
300mm F4.0 L IS OK
Also works with Sigma 1.4 TC and 300mm.
150mm Sigma Macro OK

None of them are snappy but all will focus. The lenses tend to go to the focus extreme then ratchet to the focus point.

I was testing in relatively dim light. Will be interesting to see if its better outside.

spence

Looks like metabones .43 firmware allows the 400 f5.6 to focus as well--user in thread here reports .41 failed, .43 successful; no other detail.

Hurrah for .43?

rainerv

100-400 is usm version1 is slowly, but exactly, over the whole range ,at all distances, focussing. No pumping, it moves to the focuspoint and stays there.

80-200/4 is usm : very fasta nd accurat.

24-70/4 : same, very good now.

Pradeep

Recently the camera locks up on MF as well. I can get 3-8 exposures before the EVF and LCD go black and the camera will not respond to anything. When I turn it Off a few seconds pass when the last image captured displays on the LCD. This is when the camera is OFF. When is OFF not OFF? Now I am concerned there may be an electronic communication issue that can harm the camera. Anyone else having this issue?

Yes, this is happening with my 70-200 f4 IS only. It locks up if I change some settings like from Contrast to Phase detect. Then turning the camera off or on does nothing, the LCD and EVF are black and often the lens motor will keep running. The only way to normalize things it to take the battery out, it instantly resets itself.

kimbrunstudio

Per NoBob's recommendation, I purchased a Fotodiox EF-E adapter. I put the Sigma 50mm ART on my A7rII and took it out for a spin. 48 shots later, no lockups, no AF problems, and now I can really have some fun.
Of course I really need to find something that I want to shoot that is time critical to see if it will lock up. But at the moment, I am impressed with the speed and accuracy of this adapter. Much better combination than the Metabones III with 0.41 firmware even when I wasn't locking up the camera. So I now will leave the Fotodiox attached to the Sigma 50 ART and use the Metabones III with all my Canon glass where it works great!

Thanks NoBob!

Joe Colson

People with 100-400 II might try this:

I have a 100-400 I:
With Metabones 3 did not work at all. Seemed a communications error
With Metabones 4 and .41firmware worked fine at shorter focal lengths (<300?) but could not lock on at 400 as reported by others in this thread. THEN I moved the distance switch to 6.5m-infinity and it worked fine. Cannot select MF from camera (only AFS or AFC) but can from lens as well. IS and everything worked fine.
Have you tried the 100-400mm with the new firmware (v0.44) for the Metabones IV?

Joe

DigitalSteve

Canon 100mm Macro IS version now works on Metabones 3 with Firmware ver 44

I sent my Metabones 3 to Hong Kong for update. Prior to updating, the 100mm macro IS would not autofocus. Now it works fine (well as good a it did on my Canon). Fairly quick in good light, still hunts and does not focus in low light. Turnaround time was about 2 weeks, cost about $50 in postage round trip. (Shipped from California on Sept 11, received back on Sept 28.)

Email from Metabones:

"Please send the Speed Booster to us for checking and firmware update, there’s no service charges, you only pay US$25 for the return shipping charges by Fedex.
if accept, please send the parcel to the following address and pay the return shipping charge to our PayPal account:
Our PayPal account: [email protected]
Our shipping address:
Company name: Global Boom International Limited
Attn: Miss Chik
Address:Flat C, 6/F, On Loong Factory Building,
No. 11-13 Luk Hop Street,
San Po Kong, Kowloon,
Hong Kong
Tel: +852 2321 8817
Please inform us the shipping information and the PayPal payment transaction id for reference.

Thanks & regards
Elsie
GBI Ltd
www.metabones.com"

Annna T

Re: Canon 100mm Macro IS version now works on Metabones 3 with Firmware ver 44

I sent my Metabones 3 to Hong Kong for update. Prior to updating, the 100mm macro IS would not autofocus. Now it works fine (well as good a it did on my Canon). Fairly quick in good light, still hunts and does not focus in low light. Turnaround time was about 2 weeks, cost about $50 in postage round trip. (Shipped from California on Sept 11, received back on Sept 28.)

Email from Metabones:

"Please send the Speed Booster to us for checking and firmware update, there’s no service charges, you only pay US$25 for the return shipping charges by Fedex.
if accept, please send the parcel to the following address and pay the return shipping charge to our PayPal account:
Our shipping address:
San Po Kong, Kowloon,
Hong Kong
Please inform us the shipping information and the PayPal payment transaction id for reference.

Thanks & regards
Elsie
GBI Ltd
www.metabones.com"
Very interesting and encouraging. Thanks for sharing your experience. May I ask three questions :

1) I see you have both the A7r and A7r2 : is the A7r still working smoothly after that update ?

2) there was also some flaring problems with version III : did they correct this too (adding black mat paint for instance). Also the opening if I remember correctly was slightly smaller on version III causing some vignetting on TSE lenses. Did they take the baffle away ? Aka : was this only a software update, or also a hardware one ?

3) in future, would you be able to make newer updates by yourself ? Or would you have to send it to Hongkong again ?

TIA for your answer.

kimbrunstudio

Re: Canon 100mm Macro IS version now works on Metabones 3 with Firmware ver 44

Email from Metabones:

Our shipping address:
San Po Kong, Kowloon,
Hong Kong

Thanks & regards
Elsie
GBI Ltd
www.metabones.com"
Wow, that is $90 less than it costs me to ship from Portland, OR. What carrier did you use? I went with the cheapest FedEx offered to ship to Hong Kong $100. Metabones also charged me $35 for return shipping.

As for future updates, the Metabones III can not have firmware updates except at the factory. No USB port.

Andrew2121

Hi i upgraded my metabones IV EF adapter to a new 0.45 firmware and now auto focus on a7rII became very slow
Does somebody have any previous versions? mine was 0.36 and auto-focus was fast. Please help.

alba63

Hello,
I want to buy a 85mm portrait lens for my A7r II, the Batis is a bit expensive (having just bought the camera), and it is only 1,8. I would like to get the Sigma 85mm 1,4 HSM.
Question: Is it likely to work faster (AF) with EF mount via my Metabones IV adapter, or faster with an Sony A mount with LA-EA3 adapter?

I read reports of Brian Smith and Mike Kobal, but did not get a clear idea of how both lenses would behave... I read reports that the 35mm Art lens works very fast, but did not find the same about the 85/1,4, except the fact that it works good, but in microsteps (MikeKobal).

Thanks
Bernie

Annna T

As of November 23th, there is a new version of the Metabones Smartadapter V. IV : version 0.47

There are two benefits :

a) it will be compatible with version 2.0 of the firmware of the A7II
b) AF supported @ F8 with the 1.4x and 2.0x Canon Extender.

More here : Metabones® (windows users)
or here : Metabones® (Mac)

I just updated mine from version 0.45 and it was absolutely flawless and now the focusing is incredibly fast with the 70-200mm F4 L IS USM and 1.4x extender. Wow.. I'm really impressed.
I don't have the 2x extender, so can't report about it.

aCIDfire

Hi, I´d like to ask about Canon 200/2 L how the AF works in AF-S and AF-C with latest Metabones FW. If is it usable for tracking moving kids? I have Nikon version 200/2 but would like to switch to Canon version. Someone wrote here that the lens works pretty well. Brian Smith on his older test wrote that AF-S misfocuses with several adapters incl. Metabones but I think he didn´t test it on A7rII. Thanks.

Rawfa

Tested the Canon Macro Ef 100mm F 2.8 USM in low and moderate light and even though it's slow it eventually hits the focus. I get WAAAY better results with the LAEA4 and a Tamron 90mm 2.8 macro.