The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Advice needed: NYC photo essay

bradhusick

I am looking for some specific advice from my fellow forum members who are familiar with New York City (Manhattan, specifically).

I am visiting there in September on a photo expedition and I'm interested in doing a photo essay about "Feeding New York" - how Manhattan gets, processes, serves and disposes of the massive quantities of food it needs each day.

If you can think of some specific interesting locations, business names, people I can contact in advance for special access, etc., I would be most appreciative.

Thank you,
Brad

jlm

Workshop Member
definitely check out the overnight storage/setup locations (usually in Brookly and Queens, some on the west side of Manahattan) for the street vendor carts, the migration of the carts and the many, many offerings and flooded use all over the city. you will see lines at the vendor carts at Rock center, for example

Terry

Brad,
There are various farmers markets in the city like in Union Square.
There is still a little bit of meatpacking in the meatpacking district.
The Fulton Fish Market has moved to Brooklyn but is still important.
You should contact City Harvest. They go around the city collecting unused food from restaurants, markets, corporate cafeterias and hotels around the city and deliver it to soup kitchen and all sorts of food programs in the city.
Then you have some iconic places like Zabars, Barney Greengrass some of the cheese shops and even Fairway.
Big in the city is also Fresh Direct Internet based with delivery

That should give you "food for thought" LOL

Last edited:

bradhusick

Thanks, Terry. I am looking for as many of the "behind the scenes" apsects as I can - the stuff that happens before the food reaches the public.