The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

An exclusive interview with Michael Kenna

olafphoto

Administrator
Staff member
We just completed a fascinating and insightful interview with Michael Kenna - one of the most acclaimed landscape photographers of his generation. Michael has been working with medium format Hasselblad most of his life and yes, we talked about his gear as well. Most importantly, we discussed his approach to seeing, composition, working on photographic projects, his printing process, working with galleries, Japan and so much more... I can't wait to share this interview with you along with our selection of Michael work.

Here is his answer to one of our questions - raw and unedited
🙂

You said that in order to get creative ideas “I’ve got to be working.” Could you explain what you mean?

I find that work begets work, sources ideas and induces creativity. Sometimes it’s just a matter of moving through one level to the next, going through one door in order to find what on the other side of the wall. I find it easier to move through these steps rather than think through them. For others, sitting around brain storming might work. We all have to figure out what works best for us. For example, when I go to a new place and meet subject matter to photograph, I find that it is beneficial to first make the obvious images. I am rarely satisfied with those results and the next step is to push myself to explore more complex possibilities. Later on, when the film is developed, sometimes it is the very first exposure I made which is the most compelling, but at other times, it is the last exposure. I don’t have a fixed formula for success. I just keep trying and this translates into working.
You will find this exclusive interview with Michael Kenna in the October edition of the Medium Format Magazine.

www.mediumformat.com

Screenshot 2020-09-18 at 12.57.37 PM.jpg

SrMphoto

But how can we like him when his prints are usually only 8x8 ;-)?
First time I saw Kenna's work was actually his large prints in Kushiro airport. Love his work.
Here is a documentary about Kenna in Hokkaido: '

olafphoto

Administrator
Staff member
But how can we like him when his prints are usually only 8x8 ;-)?
First time I saw Kenna's work was actually his large prints in Kushiro airport. Love his work.
Here is a documentary about Kenna in Hokkaido: '
Thanks for sharing. In the recent interview I asked him why he chooses to print his images small. He gave me a fascinating answer. This in-depth interview with Michael Kenna is coming in October. Stay tuned.

richardman

I met Mr. Kenna in Carmel in 2018/2019. I have A LOT of his books, includings one I sourced from Japan, and he signed them all. I bought one of his prints from one of the places that he donated the prints for fundraising, so it's slightly less pricey than his usual print prices. Absolutely gorgeous stuff

20170816-369-Edit.jpg

Tim Floyd

I don't live far from Seattle and had an opportunity to fly up on a cheap flight for one of his gallery openings. About an hour flight. Turned out to be a very expensive trip, though, because I came home with two prints.o_O