The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Any archers here?

Shashin

Do we have any archers here? If so, what is your game:

Compound
Olympic Recurve
Barebow
Traditional (Take-Down)
Traditional (Selfbow or Asiatic bow)

Target or hunter?

Myself, I shoot barebow: target and field. I am just curious if anyone limits their shooting to photographs or photographers gravitate to archery...

JoelM

I shoot competition pistol and rifle. Made a friend shooting prone small bore (50m) and found out about 2 years later that he enjoys photography as well. We now go on hikes and take pictures much more than our shooting in competition. :)
Joel

MGrayson

Subscriber and Workshop Member
About a million years ago, I shot unlimited - carbon stabilizer, telescopic sight, nylon loop release, cams galore. Very much a case of "don't screw up and the arrow will go in the 10." I'm awed by people who can shoot accurately without the benefit of this absurd technology.

Shashin

I'm awed by people who can shoot accurately without the benefit of this absurd technology.
Me too. But that gives me a goal, no matter how unattainable... ;)

I just enjoy the meditative nature of the sport. I like that you are only really competing against yourself. And with the outdoor ranges close to my house, it has been a godsend in the pandemic--it is really easy to maintain a 6' distance on the field.

The thing that got me hooked was watching competitive archery. If you describe it, it sounds about as interesting as competitive grass growing. I especially enjoy the field championships. Has I known these archery made something incredibly difficult look incredibly easy, I make have reconsidered (but I am glad I didn't).

The jury is still out to whether this is cheaper than photography. (I mean, how many bows do I really need?)

Shashin

For non-archers, if you don't know about the sport, these are some of the categories.

Olympic recurve shooting at a 122cm face at 70 m:

This is barebow (an Olympic recurve without sights, clicker, and stabilizer) in a field final in Cortina Italy:

This is indoor compound target. There are three targets as these archers are likely to hit their own arrows (called a Robin Hood). They are shooting at 18 m

Shashin

Yeah. But until you have actually shot, you really don't appreciate how good. Archery looks really simple.

JoelM

Joel, is that competitive air? I saw Olympic 10 m air rifle and that is pretty insane...
Hi Will,

I shot 10m air, but never competed. It is insanely difficult as they all are, but I only shot for practice. Test targets from the factory are 10 shots through the same hole more or less.

Joel

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
For non-archers, if you don't know about the sport, these are some of the categories.

Olympic recurve shooting at a 122cm face at 70 m:

This is barebow (an Olympic recurve without sights, clicker, and stabilizer) in a field final in Cortina Italy:

This is indoor compound target. There are three targets as these archers are likely to hit their own arrows (called a Robin Hood). They are shooting at 18 m

Fascinating sport. Love the barebow. The other bows look like the DJI 4D camera monster.

sj2w1

Never tried competition or 3d, just shoot for fun and to fill the freezer. I've shot compounds for that past 20yrs.

iiiNelson

My wife got be a bow a couple of Christmas’ ago and I’ve shot it 3 times at this point due to work, my daughter, and the pandemic… and not wanting to look like the crazy person shooting in my backyard in the state of the world climate of people finding anything to be a threat… legitimate or not.

I got it primarily for hunting (extended season) and just as a great exercise. I shoot a compound (Mathews Traverse) and unfortunately being a long draw archer (if I can even call myself that yet) there aren’t many options. My draw is right at 32.5” with my release which takes about a half inch off of it thankfully. Lot of options for short or average sized people but once you start getting north of 6’ tall the options really shorten and the prices rise substantially for those that want to dabble. Thankfully I gota really good deal and paid about 70% of MSRP at the time but the setup was still around $1100 ready to shoot (with arrows, sights, accessories, etc.). The range and pro shop I purchase it from (or rather my wife) has a 75 yd indoor range.

I’ve shot rifles and pistols for years so I’m not unfamiliar with the ideas of the gaming sides of target shooting… I’m still new to it and hope to get a lot more time in soon.

scho

Last time I used a bow was back in the 1960's for hunting deer. I quit hunting after I was married and started buying cameras. We all know how that goes.