The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Any experiences with the Arca Cube C1 gp (geared panning) FlipLock in rough landscape photography?

cjl

My Arca-Swiss experience is with the D4 rather than the Cube but based on how well the D4 has held up in all kinds of nasty weather I would have high confidence in the Cube as well. However, as you displayed the Cube in your original post with the A-S flip lock clamp, I would caution against that for work outdoors. The locking mechanism on that flip lock arm is fiddly at best, becomes painful to operate with bare hands in cold weather, and is difficult to manipulate at all with gloves on. I had mine replaced with an RRS flip lock clamp but doing this sacrifices the 90 degree indent stops which give tactile feedback to the pano mechanism on the A-S clamps. Although I don’t have personal experience with A-S screw knob clamps, I would recommend those over their flip lock version.

FloatingLens

The arca swiss FlipLock fiddliness is an ingenious way to make you not forget to secure the camera before you fully release it over the 90 degree position. ;)

Thank you very much for your friendly advices. Today I ordered the Cube C1 Classic without the Geared Panning GP. I see the biggest advantage of the Cube against the ball head that I can pan my camera without any leveling anymore. Thats very important for me. Also I decided me against the FlipLock solution, which Mexecutioner don't like. I take a pouch from my driver golf club to protect the Cube. Everything will be perfekt - without any shower ;)

Mexecutioner

Thank you very much for your friendly advices. Today I ordered the Cube C1 Classic without the Geared Panning GP. I see the biggest advantage of the Cube against the ball head that I can pan my camera without any leveling anymore. Thats very important for me. Also I decided me against the FlipLock solution, which Mexecutioner don't like. I take a pouch from my driver golf club to protect the Cube. Everything will be perfekt - without any shower ;)
Congratulations! You are going to love it!

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
Similar decade long Cube owner. I also use a neoprene hat for mine and/or remove it from the tripod when traveling. Mine has only ever had two issues, one mechanical and the other just from use & age.

The mechanical issue was caused by airline baggage handlers. I had the Cube screwed on to my tripod and packed inside a padded & hard shell end tripod bag. Somehow head got bumped despite being inside the tripod bag and subsequently the gearing slides inside the head were flat spotted. A trip to Precision Camera had the guides replaced and everything was back to new.

The second issue, well the rubber knobs age and get loose eventually. Just like with Ken, Precision Camera sent me a replacement set and they’re still on there today.

Bill Caulfeild-Browne

Not sure how long I've had mine (ten years +?) but apart from its considerable weight it is the perfect tool for landscapes. Its mass plus the XF, back and lens on a sturdy Gitzo makes it pretty well unmovable. Although I use Vibration Delay most of the time, the camera fires almost immediately because it is so static.

Having said that, it's useless for fast shooting like wildlife. I still use my Acratech for birds and animals.

vjbelle

I've had mine for some time and used it everywhere including the Dunes in Death Valley with no problems. I was, though, careful when I was using it in sandy conditions as well as wet conditions. You are right to be somewhat concerned about harsh conditions but you will find using it to be a real joy. It is easy to clean and subsequently lubricate. I much prefer the fliplock which I have found, once locked, is the safest way to carry the camera and tripod together. If there is rain then a garbage bag over everything works real well.

Once you get used to the weight you will be happy with your purchase......

Victor B

jng

Indeed you will! I came close to upgrading my Cube to the geared-panning model a few years ago, but inexplicably thought this would be a frivolous purchase so held off (this certainly doesn't fit my pattern of squandering the kids' inheritance on such trinkets). A friend of mine just got the gp-Cube and loves it (just call me Dante's little helper - I let him use my Cube a few times and he was hooked). I might succumb yet...

John

Phase V

As a owner of a Cube gp and a Monoball p0 i would never take the Cube outside unless i have a mule
uhm i mean assistant to haul it for me. That´s all i have to say.