The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Any way to get Schneider or Rodenstock wide angle set-up on a 35mm camera?

John Black

I was searching for a way to use something like a Schneider 28mm f/5.6 Super Digitar XL or maybe my Rodenstock 40mm HR with the Leica M10 Monochrom. It would need to reach infinity focus. Looking for something better than the Leica (Schneider) 28mm F2.8 Super Angulon R PC.

I know there is Cambo Actus Mini, and for wide angle, it's their 24mm and not much else. I've seen some pretty creative posts here over the years, so hoping somebody can either confirm the search is hopeless, or that there is some magical mix of hardware that will do the trick.

Boinger

Unlikely with the schneiders. The body of the camera won't allow you to get close enough to the sensor with any mounting mechanism to reach infinity. Its why most people adapt medium format wide angle lenses for movements.

vjbelle

Will not work on any camera body I know of with either Rody or Schneider due to the sensor distance from the FFD needed to reach infinity. By reach I mean to get the lens close enough to the sensor so that infinity can be focused.

Victor B.

Paul Spinnler

There is a way. I think you could to it with a recessed lens board and an Arca Swiss rotafoot setup ... you need to mount the lens into a copal lens board and get an Arca kit ...

vjbelle

The Arca Rotafoot is a liability with regards to obtaining the closest distance between the sensor and FFD. The original bellows attachment is the best solution for minimum distance.

Victor B.

Paul Spinnler

The Arca Rotafoot is a liability with regards to obtaining the closest distance between the sensor and FFD. The original bellows attachment is the best solution for minimum distance.

Victor B.
This is why you'd need a recessed lens board and you'd need to know roundabout the distances ... which ideally means you get the kit and then let a machinist make you a custom board.

I think this would be thought process: the FFL of the Alpa camera is 22mm. The 28 XL, which I also own, basically sits directly on the camera, so I would say you really need to be around this close. So you would need someone with a Rotafoot kit now to measure the distance between a rotafoot and fully pulled together front standard with lens board and give it maybe a few extra mm wiggle room. Probably a recessed board with 2-3cm should be enough ... need to be precise to not risk the back element to touch the sensor in any scenario ... and you might need to use a custom bellows and a larger 4x5 front standard ... which means custom order with Arca ... could cost a few grand incl. machining and custom bellows, etc.

I have thought about doing such a thing with my f metric and I need 6.5cm from front standard to rotaslide with the wide angle bellows ... which is why very short focal lengths with the f metric are tricky.

Last edited:

Steve Hendrix

I was searching for a way to use something like a Schneider 28mm f/5.6 Super Digitar XL or maybe my Rodenstock 40mm HR with the Leica M10 Monochrom. It would need to reach infinity focus. Looking for something better than the Leica (Schneider) 28mm F2.8 Super Angulon R PC.

I know there is Cambo Actus Mini, and for wide angle, it's their 24mm and not much else. I've seen some pretty creative posts here over the years, so hoping somebody can either confirm the search is hopeless, or that there is some magical mix of hardware that will do the trick.

Maybe. Cambo once made a modified Actus that removed the orientation lever and had a fixed bellows attached to the bayonet holder that trimmed a few precious millimeters and allowed lenses as short as Rodenstock 32HR. It's a discontinued item, but I may have one remaining in my inventory.

Steve Hendrix/CI

Alkibiades

You can use schneider 35xl and 43xl on Arca Swiss cameras with standart adapters Not with Rotafoot. With all Sony E cameras are stadart movement possible.

Alan

Would the rear element of a 24XL fit inside the throat of any mirrorless body? Maybe with a custom helicoid mount?

Alan

Only 12mm away from the rear of 24XL to CMOS.
Getting dims from the Schneider data sheet, looks like it would be "possible" on Nikon Z. Would take a custom mount & helicoid, and some modification of the rear housing to clear the Z contact block.

Anyone have an idea of the quality of this lens compared to other options? No shift would be possible.

Dig24xl_Dims.jpg

Alkibiades

A very nice lens on my old 39 mp back, no distortion, very scharp, you will need the centerfilter, only 60 mm image circle, but more than you need for 35mm full frame.

AndyPtak

Maybe. Cambo once made a modified Actus that removed the orientation lever and had a fixed bellows attached to the bayonet holder that trimmed a few precious millimeters and allowed lenses as short as Rodenstock 32HR. It's a discontinued item, but I may have one remaining in my inventory.

Steve Hendrix/CI
Care to tell me more Steve? I have 35, 47 and 60 Schneider Digitars in Cambo mounts.

Steve Hendrix

Care to tell me more Steve? I have 35, 47 and 60 Schneider Digitars in Cambo mounts.

I can confirm that I do have one. So, there is ... one. Your 47mm and 60mm are no problem. The 35mm depends ... tell me what camera you would intend to use.

Steve Hendrix/CI

Steve Hendrix

Sony FF E mount.
Unfortunately I don't have a Sony camera available. I did mount our Leica M11 and was not able to achieve focus, even with the rear of the lens sitting inside the camera bayonet. The Leica M flange distance is 27.8mm vs the Sony 20mm, but my sense is the SK 35mm in this Actus configuration may be a bridge too far with the Sony. The 47mm and 60mm Digitar lenses would be fine of course, but even on a standard Actus I think you'd be ok with those two.

Which takes you back to the Universalis/M-2 Arca Swiss options for the 35mm Digitar.

Steve Hendrix/CI