The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Anyone having problems with their XF?

fotohouse

Craig, I had the focus trim issue as well. The last update fixed everything and I haven't had an issue since. Keep us posted.

aztwang

My only problems with the XF have been with the v4 firmware and IQ150. The sync is a problem when the exposure requires FP shutter and after a while if shooting longer exposure images will start getting out of sync.

My dealer is working the same issue with a number of other IQ1xx users who upgraded. I had to downgrade to v3 but I miss the XF controls on the IQ150 back. I too would love to be able to invoke all functions via the IQ back's LCD vs having to look down on the top XF LCD.

I've had a couple of random lockups but only with the v4 IQ software. Given that there are known issues with it and IQ1xx back's I'm waiting for the next firmware upgrade.
Graham, Did you check your Latency setting. Should be on normal when mounted to XF body. All my issues with fw 4.?.? went away after changing from Zero to normal.

Don

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
Graham, Did you check your Latency setting. Should be on normal when mounted to XF body. All my issues with fw 4.?.? went away after changing from Zero to normal.

Don
Don,

Yes, zero latency. Well, specifically I use zero latency on my Actus and then put back on the XF but didn't change the latency since the option disappears and the back acted as if normal latency was selected automatically.

maybe I'll reload the FW and try again but remembering to set latency to normal before putting the back on the XF body. I really liked having the XF UI on the back.

GrahamWelland

Thanks John

FYI - those were my images used for the CMOS back examples! :ROTFL:

Brad did send me a note back at the end of May alluding to the fact that it might be zero latency (perhaps you were the mystery IQ260 user?) but I didn't get a link to the CI note though. I was off in the wilds shooting with my back-rev'd IQ150 and Actus DB+/XF combo and wasn't going to upgrade and try it again until I got home. I'd forgotten all about it. Well, now I'm home so ... :thumbup:

Dan Santoso

Halo All,

I have another troubleshoot questions for xf n 3 100:
1. When the xf idle for a few min and i press the shutter, there is a delay before the body lcd turn on when i half press the shutter. Can i get rid of this delay?

2. Xf n 3 100 is on, thetered to c1. Turn off the xf for some time, come back, turn on the xf and suddenly the shutter is released (maybe), it triggers the strobe then automatically then the system is off again. What is this? Happen 2-3 times today.

3. I shoot in M thetered.. After turn off for a while when i power my xf again it show TV not M. How to set default to M? This always happen when i leave the camera for a while. Very annoying every i turn on the body need to change setting.

Can someone help?

Thanks

jtremblay

I have had the XF for about a year - When I get an image out of this camera it is stunning. But I have had so many issues that I'd be hard pressed to recommend this piece of equipment. Here is a short list of some of my problems:

problem with prism not working right out of the gate - had to revert to older firmware

problems with the camera focus - had to be sent in for repair. Took a month and a half to fix - (found out my focus screen was old, was never notified about replacing with updated one so had to request replacement - done during this repair) Battery door also replaced at this time as there was an issue with this -

Problems with IQ-180 back - needed to be sent in for repair. Took over a month for repair (got loaner from DT, thankfully)

problem with 80mm lens - told shutter is broken, lens needs to be replaced (also told this is usual for an LS lens w/shutter inside). I used Rollei 6003 with shutters inside the lenses and never had an issue in all the years I used this gear.

problem with 240mm lens - never have liked this lens - does not grab focus. Have given up with this -

Problems with prism (my prism was broken during the last repair, so they "fixed" the prism but now it falls off every time I take it out of the case - which like discussed here I store with handle up). I now use gaffer tape over the prism latch.

Honestly I have lost track of all the issues I have had with this camera. I hold my breath every time I take this camera out to shoot. I mostly rely on my Arca-Swiss Rm3di with the 180 back to shoot. If I have to shoot something other then a landscape I take out the XF with great trepidation. A sad state of affairs for a camera costing so much money -

j

Bill Caulfeild-Browne

Sorry to hear of all your issues, J. I guess there are bad apples in every barrel. I got a good one and since one of the firmware updates early this year (Jan? Feb?) I have had no issues. I've just come off a 1,000+ shot trip in (cold!) Northern Canada and the only irritant was the hunting of the SK240 while trying to autofocus. But white bears on snow in poor light is rather challenging.

I do wish the prism catch was tighter and that start-up was quicker, but when I look at file quality I forgive these shortcomings.

GrahamWelland

Interesting to note the battery latch issue. I just started to see that over the last two weeks on the road using my XF. Occasionally I would see no battery indicated for the body but assumed that it was one of the known firmware issues with the #3 updates the dealers had noted. However, upon further investigation it seems that the battery doesn't always seem to latch completely and a slight push can make/break connection. Going to do a field fix (gaffer tape on the back of the latch) and see if that fixes it.

no issues with my prism or WLF latches. Everything locks rock solid and I do alternate between finders.

aztwang

Interesting to note the battery latch issue. I just started to see that over the last two weeks on the road using my XF. Occasionally I would see no battery indicated for the body but assumed that it was one of the known firmware issues with the #3 updates the dealers had noted. However, upon further investigation it seems that the battery doesn't always seem to latch completely and a slight push can make/break connection. Going to do a field fix (gaffer tape on the back of the latch) and see if that fixes it.

no issues with my prism or WLF latches. Everything locks rock solid and I do alternate between finders.
Graham,
That was a firmware issue on my XF since upon uploading last firmware, from 4-5 weeks ago. That problem seems to have been taken care of with the newest firmware release
CP3.03.5 that was released this last WED. I literally would get error 2:02 every other start up...very annoying.

Have a great weekend

Don

Paul2660

Graham, just a heads up on the battery door.

There is a Phase One fix for this now. The problem is that the small catch that holds the battery in place will allow the battery to drop back down and thus not been seen by the XF. The fix is a new door. There is also supposedly a new fix for the 90 degree prism, which is to hold it in place better and not allow any wobbling, (which mine does)

One note, if you use the XF. The battery door issue can be a real problem. I started to notice this issue on my XF about 2 months ago. When you first power on the XF, the battery icon is fine, but after about 5 seconds of the start up, the XF battery icon changes to a battery with a line through it. This means the XF does not see a battery. Since I am using a IQ3 back, the back via power share will power the XF, just like the XF can help to power the back (normal use). What cued me to the problem was that my IQ3 back started going through a lot of batteries much faster. I had been using the XF (with the battery icon with a line through it), so the IQ3 was providing power to both XF and IQ3. I was also getting errors on the IQ3 due to a low battery (failure to write correctly, and other strange operations), all of which went away once I realized the back was powering both itself and the XF.

The formal fix is a new door. The FIELD fix for me is a small piece of rubber band between the door and bottom of the battery, which gives the battery enough pressure to stay in the correct position.

Since I purchased the XF late 2015, I have pretty much reverted back to the XF/LS lenses from the Arca rm3di. So far no problem with lenses/shutters and since the ability to use the electronic shutter, I pretty much use that all the time. Overall I have found the XF to be a very good camera, however I have relied on my dealer (Capture Integration) for quite a bit of assistance. I plan to send in my XF for the new battery door sometime in December and the prism fix. I also will at that time ask my dealer to remove the set screw that holds the 1/4 20 insert in the 3/8's screw. This has been a problem from DF days in that the stupid set screw seems to be placed in the camera way to tight. Mine may need to go back to Phase One for new bottom as my dealer may not be able to get the set screw out either. I have tried all the tricks.

I saw the note on the 240LS, and did want to add a few of own impressions. I purchased a used lens from CI, after trying a 300mm Mamiya lens. The 240LS greatly benefits from the ES, and I always use that with it. AF on my mine seems fine, but to be honest, I rarely use it, instead I tend to use Live View (landscape work). All of the big telephoto glass is very very susceptable to vibration/focus blur. If you don't believe me, just turn on live view with a 240LS or 300mm Mamiya and lightly touch the back LCD of the back. The blur to the image is huge and it takes a full 1 to 2 sec to really calm down. So for me hand holding would never work even with a fast shutter speed. I am sure others can make this work, but I have decided tripod only. Phase One, IMO could greatly benefit with a new 240LS type lens with VR in the lens. The Vibration reduction feature of the XF in my experience will not always catch these slight shock type vibrations. Where as the ES seems to give a much better end result. Net, if I need long glass and want to hand hold it, I drop back to my Fuji or Pentax/Nikon systems.

The 240LS is huge piece of glass, and heavy and on every trip I start out thinking "well I will leave this one here", but I almost always end up taking it as I love the quality of the images it can produce.

Overall summation, XF without a dealer's support is not the best prospect.

Paul Caldwell

Christopher

XF IQ3100 - 30k exposures, only 2-3 smaller glitches the whole time. So far it is much better then most cameras I owned.

beano_z

Craig, it sounds like you have a DF with an XF sticker placed over the the DF :ROTFL:

Sorry---sounds like either something is up with your set-up/settings or its the camera. I'd work with a dealer to resolve the issue, and if the issues remain, you just may have a lemon that needs to be replaced/repaired. Everyone I've seen with the XF or talked to about the XF (who had a DF/DF+/AF prior)---the experience has been pretty uniform: eyes light up, smiles, and pretty happy. The DF was a pretty mediocre body, but it did work. The XF generally works so well, I think it has actually caused disdain for the DF to increase...

Hope you get it sorted out in short order.

Ken
I think Craig might have gotten a Sony instead, they're a bit cheaper but will have more loose screws.... :SPAM::ROTFL:

image.jpg

kdphotography

Hey Graham,

Maybe we should get gaffers tape in Phase One Blue colors? :ROTFL:

No issues with my XF---solid performer. Nice to hear about update/fixes for the battery door and finder catch. No issues with battery door, but on occasion my prism finder can get loose from the switch getting hit when I put it in a Pelican case.

Ken