The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Anyone use Canon Tilt-Shift lenses on the IQ3 100?

peterm1

Does anyone have any experience they can share using the Canon tilt-shift lenses on the IQ3 100? I found a thread from a few years ago about using the 24mm, but I am wondering also about the 17mm as well as the newer (and better) 50mm, 90mm and 135mm TS-Es.

Thanks!

Peter

Craig Stocks

I've been pretty happy with the 24 though I don't use it very often. In terms of overall sharpness it's a little bit better than my non-blue ring 28mm, so it's usable but not stellar. The corners do tend to be soft but most of the time that's not a problem. That being said I've never had an occasion to reject a photo from it due to sharpness. (Lack of photographer skill is the main reason for rejects ;-)

One of my favorite features is the extremely close focus distance. That coupled with tilt movements can create really interesting perspectives.

I haven't tried the 17 but I've heard that it's not as sharp as the 24. IQ4 150MP-P0011702-Apr 30 2020-C1-20-Edit.jpg

Gerd

I have TS-E 17mm, 24mm L2, 50mm and 135mm and use 90% of them on the GFX 100. I use 17mm and 24mm every now and then on a Cambo 1200 with IQ4150. My 17mm is a little better off-center than my 24mm L2.

The problem with the 17mm is the spherical front lens in terms of filters. I have to use a Lee 150mm filter holder for this. For the IQ4150 achromat I also use a 150mm IR 486 cut filter for the Lee 150mm filter holder. In principle it works very well even if it is bulky.

Apart from the Rodi 23mm, I think there is no alternative to the Canon lenses in the focal length range of 17 - 24mm. All other options I know are of poor quality.

Greetings Gerd

huyu

How do you use the Canon lenses on the PhaseOne digital back? Pls enlighten me, I'm newbie :oops:

peterm1

You can use an adapter depending on what camera you use - I use a Cambo tech cam and Cambo makes a Canon adapter for it so I could attach a Canon lens. Whether it will perform well is a different matter. That’s why I was wondering about different tilt shift lenses on it.

drevil

Staff member
I just sold my 17, was never 100% happy with the results, and will move to Nikon 19mm soon, the nikon samples i have seen make a better impression than the 17.
i also use the 50 TSE which is really good, all on the GFX100

peterm1

I used the 50mm ts-e on my X1D and thought it was fantastic. Wish I knew how it would perform with the IQ3 100

drevil

Staff member
OK just one assumption, people who own the roddie 23mm, say it performed badly on the iq100, on the iq4150 on the other hand it seems ok.
having an even wider lens might result in worse images, but i dont know what is the flange distance of the roddie and thus the angle the tse17 is sending photons on its way

huyu

You can use an adapter depending on what camera you use - I use a Cambo tech cam and Cambo makes a Canon adapter for it so I could attach a Canon lens. Whether it will perform well is a different matter. That’s why I was wondering about different tilt shift lenses on it.
Yay! I found it, that’s a WRE-CA adapter!

btw, Is the Cambo WIDE DS good? I found a selling post here. And planning to use with the IQ1-100

anyone

The Wide DS is designed for 4x5" film, so it is rather bulky. Besides this, no complaints from my side, it's a well made camera!

Gerd

I used the 50mm ts-e on my X1D and thought it was fantastic. Wish I knew how it would perform with the IQ3 100
I can make you a picture in the combination. However, due to the size, I would have to send it to you as a wetransfer or something similar.

Greetings Gerd

thovenmedia

Yay! I found it, that’s a WRE-CA adapter!

btw, Is the Cambo WIDE DS good? I found a selling post here. And planning to use with the IQ1-100
You can’t use this adapter with the IQ1 100 because the IQ1 100 does not have an electronic shutter.

anyone

Tech cam as such is of course an option, but your lenses need a shutter. Neither the Canon lenses nor the adapter have one.

Lenses mounted in a Copal-shutter will work, although you will need to check which glass fits your digital back best.

peterm1

I found this post on the Alpa website using the newer TS-E lenses - looks really good! Extreme shifts are out due to vignetting, but some shifting looks fine and optical quality looks excellent.

Last edited:

tcdeveau

:( so no tech cam for IQ1-100 @thovenmedia ? The previous owner used the Cambo Wide DS with his IQ160...
My understanding is you can use a tech cam with the IQ1-100, but only on shutter-less bodies with lenses that have a built in shutter (for example tech cam lenses with COPAL 0 shutters), or with shutter-less lenses (like the canon TS-E lenses) on a tech cam body with a built in shutter (like the Alpa FPS, with a canon adapter). The IQ3-100 IMHO is more flexible on tech cams since it has an electronic shutter.

amaimani

Can you please enlighten me for the best combination to have for using Nikon and Canon lenses with Hassy 907x (CFV II 50c back)

vsbhk

The Alpa FPS works well with the Canon TS lenses. In my line up (all latest generation) the 17TS appears somewhat sharper in corners than the 24TS, and sometime it is best to shoot wider and crop. The 50TS and 90TS are both excellent. The 135TS has a rather small image circle and movements are therefore limited, but sharpness with an IQ3-100 is also excellent.

amaimani

The Alpa FPS works well with the Canon TS lenses. In my line up (all latest generation) the 17TS appears somewhat sharper in corners than the 24TS, and sometime it is best to shoot wider and crop. The 50TS and 90TS are both excellent. The 135TS has a rather small image circle and movements are therefore limited, but sharpness with an IQ3-100 is also excellent.
Thanks a lot for you reply. I will look into ALPA FPS