The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Anyone using the leica monochrom as a small digital back?

The Phase One Achromatic 100mp/150mp is the top class of B/W digital solution, but the price is also the top.
The Leica monochrom, especially the latest M10 serial, performance is attractive, though most field is for street photography.
Arca Swiss has announced the rotaFoot for its tech-camera, fitting both Fuji GFX100/100s and Leica M.
So is anyone using the Leica monochrom with the tech-camera? how about the experience?

drevil

Staff member
I doubt anyone will be able to provide the info you are looking for.

i do own the m10m and love it for what it is capable of.
And i was able to acquire a phase one achromatic+ (first gen 39mp) this year

i know its hard to get by but maybe you can look for an achromatic+ as well.
Mine with a contax mount was a once in a life time chance but who knows maybe mamiya backs are not so unlikely to find

those backs offer close to the same resolution as the leica 39 vs 40.x

I was hoping to purchase the achromatic+, but it's CCD, no live view, which is important on tech-camera, also it's a bit old with potential bright line issue.
The Leica M10 monochrom has the proper resolution, and high iso quality is much better than most other ff cameras, even some mf ones.

SrMphoto

Clyde Butcher used an M10M with various lenses, including Nikon PC 19mm. AFAIK he sold it in 2021.

JeffK

Something I've thought about too. I've got an IQ3100A, and previously had an IQ260A. Long ago I had an M9M. Wonderful camera. Since IR landscapes are something I like to create, the Leica Monochrom's weren't suitable. I do now have a Cambo Actus-Mini setup, I could add a Leica to that, but the Sony A7rXX I have works well with the medium format copal lenses I have. If I still had Leica lenses and was into street photography, then a rangefinder would be a no brainer.

If you're not interested in IR images, then a Leica Monochrom on an Actus mini is a great idea, and the Actus mini is very portable.

John Black

But the value is really limited since it can only support 55mm and longer when it comes to lenses. One 28 is supported, but you could use the Schneider / Leica 28mm PC and save alot of headache. I have a M10M and Rm3di with the IQ4. I'm struggling to think of a reason to buy the rotafoot. I'd probably put a 21mm SEM on the M10M and crop. That gets even more viable with the M11M next year.

drevil

Staff member
But the value is really limited since it can only support 55mm and longer when it comes to lenses. One 28 is supported, but you could use the Schneider / Leica 28mm PC and save alot of headache. I have a M10M and Rm3di with the IQ4. I'm struggling to think of a reason to buy the rotafoot. I'd probably put a 21mm SEM on the M10M and crop. That gets even more viable with the M11M next year.
Why are you limited to 28mm? Because of the rangefinder?

Thats what live view would be for, on a tech camera you wouldnt use the rangefinder anyway

JeffK

Why are you limited to 28mm? Because of the rangefinder?

Thats what live view would be for, on a tech camera you wouldnt use the rangefinder anyway
I think it's the flange distance to sensor. Some lenses get too close. Depends if you're using mirrorless or mirrored body. One of the benefits of the shift is you can use a normal or telephoto FOV and shift and stitch to get a wider view. Exactly the point of adding a tech cam to your toolkit.

I have the Schneider PC 28mm lens and Contax PC Distagon 35mm in hand, which are great landscape and architecture shooting lenses, suitable for leica monochrom.
For longer focal lenses, I am hoping to use Rodi 50mm, 90mm SW, newly 138mm.
Alpa has made the adapter for Fuji GFX, as my experience, the adapter can only be used for SB 34mm lenses, also has grip issue with GFX100s camera on 12 SWA/Max/Plus.
Leica M has similar flange distance with Fuji GFX, without grip issue, but why does Alpa not announce the same adapter for Leica M?

kdphotography

I like the Leica M10M for what it is---nice B&W images in a compact form factor. But medium format quality it is not. Not even close. I'd take any of the Phase One Achromatic options over the M10M on a technical camera.