The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Apple M1, a revolution in the making?

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
I'm starting to get error messages on my MBP 15 when I run DaVinci Resolve 17. Either there's something wrong with the DaVinci, or it's time to upgrade...

k-hawinkler

Quote:”

Ningj said:
While looking into an app issue and poking around in "Console > Mac Analytics Data" I stumbled on Apple sourced SMART statistics confirming data reported by other utils (most of us knew this already). Interestingly there are two percentage used stats. My drive is still on 0% and aren't sure if these report the same values for systems with significant writes (Big Sur 11.4).

If you are interested, launch Console, click on "Mac Analytics Data" and filter on com.apple.massstorage.systemcounters_v2_1

There are 8 different SSD statistics messages ...v2_1 - ...v2_8

Look for the Smart block in the statistic's summary:

com.apple.message.smart_available_spare: 100
com.apple.message.smart_available_spare_threshold: 99
com.apple.message.smart_critical_warnings: 0
com.apple.message.smart_data_units_read: 16505470
com.apple.message.smart_data_units_written: 12577264
com.apple.message.smart_host_read_commands: 321740324
com.apple.message.smart_host_write_commands: 305557069
com.apple.message.smart_media_errors: 0
com.apple.message.smart_percentage_used: 0
com.apple.message.smart_percentage_used_normalized: 0
com.apple.message.smart_power_cycles: 338
com.apple.message.smart_power_on_hours: 207
com.apple.message.smart_temperature: 298
com.apple.message.smart_unsafe_shutdowns: 24
What an awesome find. Thanks for posting this. We finally have an Apple endorsed reading of the SMART data. Not that there was any doubt in my mind anyway but it is great to have ultimate confirmation.

k-hawinkler

helloapple1 said:
In layman’s terms what does it mean?
It is direct confirmation from Apple developed software that the third-party SMART monitoring tools are producing accurate results. You can look at the Apple log and compare Data Units Written and Percentage Used to see that they match the third-party tools.

k-hawinkler

So we can now with pretty much full certainty say that these 256GB SSDs are rated for 1200-1600 TBW by taking the official Apple percentage used value.

I think it’s safe to say the majority of people who never even noticed the SSD write issue will not have their mac’s SSD die in them during the lifetime of their mac.

And now with 11.4 out, the issue largely resolved, I think it’s pretty much safe to say the issue is no more.:)

So if I take for a 256 GB (I.e. ¼ TB) SSD your above value of 1200 TBW, then that implies 4 * 1200 = 4800 writes per cell. And your above value of 1600 TBW would imply 4 * 1600 = 6400 writes per SSD storage cell. YEAH!

Previously I quoted the Toshiba number of 3000 writes per SSD storage cell.
Well, this is even much better.

Problem truly laid to rest for the vast majority of M1 users. Amen.

Last edited:

k-hawinkler

Mike Boreham said:
Thanks. I assume you have a 256GB M1, which makes it fit in with the other numbers emerging? :-

Mike Boreham 0% 21.7TB 512GB
Formalhaut 1% 25.9TB 512GB
The Synchroniser 2% 25.2TB 256GB
Souko 1% 15.3TB 256GB
Leons 1% 14.9TB 256GB

Recognising it is not very precise because we don't always know when it flipped to the next percentage and the percent values are only whole numbers.

I am pretty much ready to switch off the issue having established that I am likely to use 1% per 7 months.
1% in 7 months, that’s 100% in 58 years. ;)

Extrapolating from these numbers my 2 TB SSD should be at 1% when it has 100 TBW.
After 4.5 months of use it’s at less than 6.5 TBW.
Did I mention before that I like overkill - unless I decide to fill up the SSD with my data.

A good rule of thumb is that an M1 SSD can take about 5,000 TBW per 1 TB, so 10k TBW for 2 TB capacity.

Last edited:

k-hawinkler

Knorp

algrove

K-H
I saw somewhere in this thread that you are using some OWC device for TB and USB connections on your M1.

Is that TB4 now? And what about my TB2 RAID drives?

I have one TB3 RAID drive I currently use with TB3 to TB2 Apple adapters on my maxed out 2013 garbage can 8 core Mac Pro. I like it so much that I was almost ready to get an old, new stock 12 core from OWC, but with the release of even "bigger" M1 Macs on the late 2021 horizon I will sit on the sidelines. For some strange reason I am getting beach balls every 4-5 days upon start up when opening/viewing Mail and must restart it to clear out issue. Otherwise all other processing needs work smoothly with the OWC 2TB Aura Pro X and 64GB RAM. It has come to mind that my 2 D700 video cards might be on their last legs.

k-hawinkler

K-H
I saw somewhere in this thread that you are using some OWC device for TB and USB connections on your M1.

Is that TB4 now? And what about my TB2 RAID drives?

I have one TB3 RAID drive I currently use with TB3 to TB2 Apple adapters on my maxed out 2013 garbage can 8 core Mac Pro. I like it so much that I was almost ready to get an old, new stock 12 core from OWC, but with the release of even "bigger" M1 Macs on the late 2021 horizon I will sit on the sidelines. For some strange reason I am getting beach balls every 4-5 days upon start up when opening/viewing Mail and must restart it to clear out issue. Otherwise all other processing needs work smoothly with the OWC 2TB Aura Pro X and 64GB RAM. It has come to mind that my 2 D700 video cards might be on their last legs.
Well Lou,Apple advertises their ports as Thunderbolt / USB 4.
I believe Apple doesn't satisfy all the protocols inherent in Thunderbolt 4.
So they call it Thunderbolt. It has the same connector as USB 4.

Speed-wise Apple's Thunderbolt 3 or now Thunderbolt ports were always 40 Gbit/s.
The same wasn't true for some PC Thunderbolt 3 ports. They ran at a lower speed.
But now all PC Thunderbolt 4 ports have to run at 40 Gbit/s AFAIK.

There are Thunderbolt 2 to Thunderbolt (TB), or TB3 or TB4 adapter cables that should work.
That assumes the RAID enclosures themselves are supported software-wise in macOS Big Sur.
My Firmtek TB2 RAID enclosures are so old that they need Mojave or Catalina.
So I keep Mojave on my late 2013 "trashcan" Mac Pro.
However I can access the new OWC TB3 RAID enclosures from the trashcan via adapters.

Lou, I hope this helps.

algrove

Yes, thanks. I am sure I will have more questions as I am just starting to look ahead. Oh, what OWC enclosure/adapter are you using?

Last edited:

k-hawinkler

Yes, thanks. I am sure I will have more questions as I am just starting to look ahead. Oh, what OWC enclosure/adapter are you using?
I would not buy their SoftRaid version 6.
I simply use Apple's Disk Utility to create RAID 0 SSDs or Hard Drivers.

OWC's Thunderbolt Docks you can find here:

Also I have several of these NAS drives:

I have this Dock:

and this one:

My M1 Mac mini has 2 Thunderbolt ports, each one with its own bus, so each one has separate 40 Gbit/s bandwidth.
Two of these Docks allow you to attach a total of 6 Thunderbolt or USB 4 devices.

If you want to attach a single SSD directly to a TB3 port, this is the one to get, but currently sold out.

Don't get these:

Here the cable cannot be detached.