The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Arca Swiss Cube & RRS L Plate

jpaulmoore

I am thinking about getting an Arca Swiss Cube but want to know if the version with the quick release plate will work with the Really Right Stuff L Bracket. Feedback appreciated.
Thanks,
j. Paul

Bob

Administrator
Staff member
Yes it can work.
The Arca flip-lock is adjustable with a little knurled nut. The only problem I have had with this is that if
a) you use both RRS AND arca plates and
b) after awhile the nut tends to creep a bit so that it needs to be tightened.

I am happy with my alternate solution which involves replacing the arca clamp on the cube with an RRS flip-lock of the style that accommodates either arca or rrs sized plates.
This is the one I use Error Page
-bob

jagsiva

It can be adjusted, but as Bob says, once you need to start mixing plates it's a pain.

I just replaced mine with an RRS screw plate (which they now offer in a metric version so the swap is easy).

My main reason for swapping the clamp was for the simple reason that standing around in open fields at -25C, I can barely feel my hands, so the big screw knob on the RRS is far more ergonomic that the somewhat "too clever" design of the AS flip lock.

Jan Brittenson

Senior Subscriber Member
Totally recommend the RRS screw clamp. No endless adjustments and not particularly accident prone. Just seat the plate and turn the knob until it stops. The original Arca one is useless IMO.

RodK

The Cube is offered with the classic screw knob Quick Release as well.
8501003.1. And since the cubes are not easily refitted anymore it may be an alternative for mixed plate users.
We do also offer an excellent Universal bracket that doesn't require replacement each time you change bodies.
Works excellent.
Rod

The Cube is offered with the classic screw knob Quick Release as well.
8501003.1. And since the cubes are not easily refitted anymore it may be an alternative for mixed plate users.
We do also offer an excellent Universal bracket that doesn't require replacement each time you change bodies.
Works excellent.
Rod
I replaced the flip clamp with the classic screw lock clamp, and it worked painlessly thereafter.
Philip

jpaulmoore

Rod, thank you so much for responding. I have been on the fence for some time about the Cube. This is not related to performance or features but money. I hear rave reviews about it all the time. My biggest concern is that I have a really tight budget for gear and I have to scrutinize every purchase. The other concern has been the bracket/plate issue which I am starting to grasp. I think I can be fine with the lever bracket on the cube if I can just set it for my RRS L-Bracket and be done. I don't use any other brand/type of bracket. I have grown accustomed to (and like) the lever type release on my RRS Ball head. I am not a big fan of the screw knob release as the lever type gives me a good visual as I have actually locked down the camera.

Finally, are you saying that if I wanted to change out the release on the Cube for an RRS Lever Release that this is difficult to due or not advisable?
Thanks,
J. Paul

kdphotography

J.Paul,

The Cube lever clamp can be adjusted to use the RRS plates/brackets (That's what I use). Apparently on new Cubes, loctite is being used, making the clamp more difficult to swap out. (Phil Lindsay here has experience with this). The older Cubes are easy to swap the top plates.

Search out Rod's instructions and images here at GetDpi on adjusting the Cube. It's rather easy to adjust.

jpaulmoore

Hello All,
I did bite the bullet and purchased the Arca Swiss Cube which is a site to behold. The only question I have is I hear/read that you can adjust the Flip-Lock Quickset to accomodate different plates. I just can't figure out where this adjustment is located. What am I looking for? Mine may be a little tight for my RRS L-Bracket because I can't reposition the camera when it is in the midway position like I have seen in some of the videos.
Thanks,
J. Paul

Bob

Administrator
Staff member
Open the clamp and remove the camera and plate.
Lood straight down on the same side of the jaw as the lever.
You will see a silver knurled nut.
Turn it clockwise to tighten and counter clockwise to loosen.
-bob

p.s.
yes it is supposed to be stiff

jpaulmoore

Bob, thanks for your reply. I had actually tried to do that by using my thumb but it was (indeed) stiff. So stiff in fact that I couldn't move it. Now I have to figure out how to move it without scratching the surface. Any ideas?

jpaulmoore

Bob,
I actually figured out that taking the handle of a wooden spoon and pressing down on the knurled screw I could make minute adjustments to get the fit just right.
Thanks,
J. Paul

MGrayson

Subscriber and Workshop Member
If you press the jaws together slightly, the screw/wheel gets MUCH easier to turn.

--Matt