The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Are there many women here?

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Maybe they find photography boring. This site more so!
They might have other things to.

In my experience, as a child and parent of medical doctors, i find the statement that women are not interested in technical details to be very
presumptuous.
While I, get lost, when my children are having discussions on medical topics within their respective specialities. Sometimes my daughter
gives a detailed explanation to my two doctor sons on pathology and the DNA bio pathology of proteins in bone marrow tissue.
Lenses I understand. But listening to them in civil but heated discussions....i quickly start reading easy topics...GetDPI.com!

Or again, my daughter in law who received her doctorate in Nuclear Medical Physics in Canada. Talking maths to her and oncology treatment
seems like watching Alien Contact again.

And all of them belong to more international forums than you could throw a stick at. Not mentioning all their female colleagues when they
meet for dinner at our house!

Want to know the intricate angular running, hiking, climbing differences between shoes? Ask Ayesha!
The technical discussions she has on forums related to her interests. And how about consumptions of protein as a ratio of body mass to elevation!

This forum has, in addition to the absence of women being members here ( doubt if they r using aliases ), most of world's ethnicity non existent or way under represented.

That surely doesn't mean that, for example, the Japanese are not interested in technical discussions!
Very interesting contribution, Rayyan. As for the absence of ethnicities (and cultures), that is something I miss as much as more female representation here. Few things are more rewarding than exchanging ideas and opinions with people of a different cultural background, something that I do on a daily basis in "real" life.

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
I couldn't help thinking about this thread when I saw the below posting in a home cinema forum this morning... lol:

"This looks like my husband’s dream! His speaker system gave out a couple years ago. We had been using a sound bar…until that gave out a few months ago. Now we just have the TV speakers (and to be honest I don’t notice a difference LOL) but my husband thinks we are basically living in the stone ages now or something. We are planning on a move this spring, and my husband’s birthday is also in the spring, so this receiver looks like it might be the perfect gift. I appreciate your thorough review."

Knorp

We only seem to attract the wrong kind of women. So I wonder why would that be.
F.i. the latest addition to this forum: 'Josephine from Argentina', admittedly with a rather attractive avatar.

Duff photographer

We only seem to attract the wrong kind of women. So I wonder why would that be.
If you're referring to the dodgy profiles that appear selling 'services', then I suspect that they are as likely men as they are women, if not more likely bearing in mind the apparent male domination of such scams (indeed, all the ones I've heard details of have been headed by males with females as the 'labour', or as models oblivious to the usage of their images).

F.i. the latest addition to this forum: 'Josephine from Argentina', admittedly with a rather attractive avatar.
With regard to 'Josefina from Argentina', there is no reason to doubt that she is a legitimate human being and, until proven otherwise, any reference to her without her involvement is objectification. Doubtful legitimacy can be applied to any of us, although a Google search can occasionally turn up proof of our existence :) . I hope Josefina will add her insights to the discussion if she reads this.

...and yes, I am aware that men of a certain age are prime candidates for ...erm... scams/requests/customers of a certain type. ;)

--------------------

As regards why there aren't many women on this forum, I personally have no idea, me not being a woman, as you can tell from my avatar. I see just as many women photographers as men photographers (both pro' and amateur) in the real world so...

A wild guess is that perhaps in the early days of forums of all types way back when the world and forums were younger, there were many derogatory and sexually lurid online comments (public and private) from faceless misogynists and perverts. While I have seen websites/forums that are riddled with misandrists with no male in sight, I'm guessing the much larger number of nascent websites/forums with misogynists and (particularly) perverts have had a knock-on effect on websites/forums in general as time has gone on. Possibly. Maybe.

Cheers,
Duff.

Last edited:

Knorp

All-in-all we’re getting nowhere and so we remain a bunch of ‘sexist blokes’ (according to some).
Time to move on, I guess.

jdphoto

I guess this thread got me to start thinking on a deeper level about my own photography. My obsession with gear and lighting has predominated my passion to connect emotionally with my photography. Having a discussion about quantifying gender really made that point for me;( that I spend too much time on a forum). To look past this basic framework of assumptions and to connect emotionally with others should have a more broadly inclusive significance when we view each other as people.