The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

At a crossroads - IQ3100, X2D, M11

peterm1

I currently have the following gear, and I feel like it may be time to consolidate or maybe even eliminate the IQ3100 system:

IQ3100, Cambo 1600, Rodenstock 23mm, Rodenstock 32mm, Rodenstock 70mm HR

M11, 15mm CV, 18mm SEM, 21mm SEM, 28mm CV, 28mm Summaron, 50mm APO, 90mm Elmarit

X2D (on the way), 21mm, 38mm (on the way), 50mm APO, 90V (will pre-order), 135mm (I previously had the X1DII).

I love to shoot urban and coastal landscapes, and some architecture, and sell large prints through a few galleries, interior designers, etc. It is a side gig of mine, and I basically support my gear purchases through the sale of my prints, but it's getting to the point where I'd like to pare down a bit and simplify my choices.

While I built the IQ3100 system thinking I would take it on landscape shoots or travel to be able to print huge beautifully detailed prints and use the shift capability, to be totally honest I have barely touched it since I feel like I can capture most of what I want with the M11, and now with the X2D coming I really think the likelihood of using the IQ3100 system may be even less. I know the files from the IQ3100 are incredible, it has nice shift capabilities, and in theory I would love to get out and use it more, but I am thinking about selling it to fund lenses for the X2D system and recoup some money. Also, Lightroom is my software of choice, so using the IQ3100 is the only time I would use Capture One (unless they start supporting Hasselblad files one day, and then I would give it another go).

On the other hand, the X2D still doesn't have great tilt-shift options. Also, I have not had a lot of time to shoot in the past year due to my day job, so it's possible I would use the IQ3100 more if I make more time to shoot in the next couple of years (but with the X2D I wonder how likely that is). Finally, if Hasselblad eventually releases a small 100mp digital back, I could potentially use it with the Rodenstock lenses on the Cambo tech cam, which are fantastic.

So one question I have is: have any of you sold your Phase One kits and really regretted it, and why? Do you plan to use your Phase One systems alongside the Hassy or Fuji 100mp camera systems? I realize everyone has vastly different needs and preferences, but getting other perspectives is always helpful.

To change the subject a bit, when I start using the X2D I may decide it is actually the Leica system that I want to let go, since the AF, EVF, IBIS, color science and flip screen are major benefits to me of the Hassy system over the Leica system - I can see almost always picking up the X2D instead of the M11 unless I really wanted a smaller option, but it's a lot of money to keep invested in the Leica system just to have a smaller option. Of course, other people may prefer other aspects of the M11 - the manual focus experience, certain Leica lenses, etc. But I can see the X2D being my main camera for nearly everything.

As someone who has switched back and forth between different systems and has sometimes regretted it, I hesitate to get rid of either the IQ3100 or Leica system, but it seems unnecessarily costly to maintain three systems for my style of shooting, so I think at least one of them may have to go...

TIA for any thoughts...

SrMphoto

I have sometimes thought of getting a technical camera, but I believe I would not have used it enough because of its weight and size (which requires a good tripod).

Choosing between X2D and M11 is hard, as they are two different types of cameras. M11's EVF is good enough, IMO, but most importantly, it tilts. In my book, a tiltable EVF is more valuable than a tiltable rear LCD.

I also find M11's LPC very useful when shooting landscapes, urban, and architecture. What is your experience?

X2D's EVF seems excellent (per spec), an essential aspect for me, and is better integrated than M11's EVF. But, on the other hand, I love OVFs and M11 has one.

peterm1

I also like the tilting EVF of the M11, although I don’t love the bulk that it adds to the top of the camera. I have been trying out the perspective correction function, but I don’t like how it crops the photo sometimes and I find I prefer using the transform function in Lightroom.

Regarding the IQ3100, it’s like I am keeping it for the possibilities it offers, and not because I have found myself using it.

SrMphoto

I also like the tilting EVF of the M11, although I don’t love the bulk that it adds to the top of the camera. I have been trying out the perspective correction function, but I don’t like how it crops the photo sometimes and I find I prefer using the transform function in Lightroom.

Regarding the IQ3100, it’s like I am keeping it for the possibilities it offers, and not because I have found myself using it.
Do you know that with Adobe software you can tune LPC or use only horizontal corrections?

ThdeDude

Since the X2D not only has the same resolution than the IQ3100 but is also one generation more advanced, there is no point to have a technical camera UNLESS you need one for shifts and tilts.

If you do, you could consider to mount the X2D to the Cambo but you may not have enough extension for focussing the 23mm Digaron.

Greg Haag

I currently have the following gear, and I feel like it may be time to consolidate or maybe even eliminate the IQ3100 system:

M11, 15mm CV, 18mm SEM, 21mm SEM, 28mm CV, 28mm Summaron, 50mm APO, 90mm Elmarit

X2D (on the way), 21mm, 38mm (on the way), 50mm APO, 90V (will pre-order), 135mm (I previously had the X1DII).

I love to shoot urban and coastal landscapes, and some architecture, and sell large prints through a few galleries, interior designers, etc. It is a side gig of mine, and I basically support my gear purchases through the sale of my prints, but it's getting to the point where I'd like to pare down a bit and simplify my choices.

While I built the IQ3100 system thinking I would take it on landscape shoots or travel to be able to print huge beautifully detailed prints and use the shift capability, to be totally honest I have barely touched it since I feel like I can capture most of what I want with the M11, and now with the X2D coming I really think the likelihood of using the IQ3100 system may be even less. I know the files from the IQ3100 are incredible, it has nice shift capabilities, and in theory I would love to get out and use it more, but I am thinking about selling it to fund lenses for the X2D system and recoup some money. Also, Lightroom is my software of choice, so using the IQ3100 is the only time I would use Capture One (unless they start supporting Hasselblad files one day, and then I would give it another go).

On the other hand, the X2D still doesn't have great tilt-shift options. Also, I have not had a lot of time to shoot in the past year due to my day job, so it's possible I would use the IQ3100 more if I make more time to shoot in the next couple of years (but with the X2D I wonder how likely that is). Finally, if Hasselblad eventually releases a small 100mp digital back, I could potentially use it with the Rodenstock lenses on the Cambo tech cam, which are fantastic.

So one question I have is: have any of you sold your Phase One kits and really regretted it, and why? Do you plan to use your Phase One systems alongside the Hassy or Fuji 100mp camera systems? I realize everyone has vastly different needs and preferences, but getting other perspectives is always helpful.

To change the subject a bit, when I start using the X2D I may decide it is actually the Leica system that I want to let go, since the AF, EVF, IBIS, color science and flip screen are major benefits to me of the Hassy system over the Leica system - I can see almost always picking up the X2D instead of the M11 unless I really wanted a smaller option, but it's a lot of money to keep invested in the Leica system just to have a smaller option. Of course, other people may prefer other aspects of the M11 - the manual focus experience, certain Leica lenses, etc. But I can see the X2D being my main camera for nearly everything.

As someone who has switched back and forth between different systems and has sometimes regretted it, I hesitate to get rid of either the IQ3100 or Leica system, but it seems unnecessarily costly to maintain three systems for my style of shooting, so I think at least one of them may have to go...

TIA for any thoughts...
I understand your dilemma, I loved my IQ3100 and the Hasselblad and Leica are iconic and beautiful cameras. I think any of those could be a joy to shoot with. While I have never shot with the X2D, I had 3 of the H series backs and enjoyed shooting with them. I have never shot with the M11, but had the Leica S006 & S007 and I loved both of those. I currently have a phase back (w Cambo 1600) and fuji gfx100s, there are somethings I shoot with the Cambo that I just cannot duplicate with the Fuji but I would love to consolidate to a single system. Technically the fuji does everything I need outside of T/S but I can't say that I really enjoy the camera. If I were starting from scratch today and while the 2 systems are much different, I think I would be looking at the X2D or the Leica S3. With all that being said, I don't know that anything will ever give me as much pleasure as my technical camera. Good luck with your decision, I look forward to hearing what you decide.

chriscove

I can’t comment on the Phase One but I recently sold all my Fuji GFX 100S gear and lenses after shooting my Leica M11 primary for a 6 months. I do mostly travel and landscapes and sell large prints. I have found the M11 prints to be so close to the GFX 100S and it was not worth bringing it with me. In addition I found the Fuji joyless and struggled with the colors.

I am now trying to decide if I want to invest in another AF system. The X2D is intriguing but I owned a X1D2 and found it frustrating but loved the colors. I am going to wait and see what early adopters think of the X2D before jumping in. I am also hoping Leica comes out with a mirrorless S4 or maybe an updated SL3. One my favorite portrait cameras I used was the S007 with the 120 macro. Stunning skin tones…

I am interested is other opinions and look forward to more opinions in this thread.

tcdeveau

….I’ve got no answer for you but am in a similar situation. I’m currently running a P1/Alpa setup, the X1D, and a Nikon setup….I also find myself missing the M10M. I enjoy each system but find myself wanting to simplify from time to tkke

my brain tells me the X1D is superfluous but I can’t seem to get rid of it, and I’m still really enjoying shooting with it 5 yrs later. The X2D I’ve been waiting on for years but don’t have the funds for it right now.

I have an achromatic P1 back, which can do things the X1D, so my situation is a little different, but it’s hard to rationalize so many different systems each with their own strengths and weakenesses.

Id say keep ‘em all and use them when you can

nameBrandon

As much as I wanted to be a tech cam guy I gave up pretty quickly. It was just a pain to setup and break down.. I'd always be nervous having ~$15k+ on a tripod slung over my shoulder walking to the next location, and I found it limiting to have to break it all down / re-assemble between multiple locations. This actually drove me to the GFX100s which was great, but as someone else mentioned (and I entirely agree with) was rather joyless...

The Hasselblad setup for me is far more enjoyable.. the CFV 50 / 907x is great to have for flexibility should I ever want to get "back" to the tech cam stuff, or play around with something like the Cambo Actus.. The X1D2 (soon to be X2D) is great for walk around, "normal" style shooting and is going to also become my primary landscape body. I recently let go my of SL setup and M setup in anticipation of the X2D and the new XCD V lenses.. here's my current approach to gear.

Landscape / Personal Projects / Fun
Hasselblad X2D / X1D2 / CFV - 907x. 35-75, , 38V, 45P, 55V, 65, 90...
Still need to find an XCD 21 and 120mm.. and will sell the X1D2 soon when the market stabilizes a bit

Kids / Family Events / Sports / Activities
Fuji X-T4 - 18/2, 35 1.4, 18-55 kit zoom, 50-140 2.8.
Will replace with the upcoming X-T5.. but overall very easy and good-looking JPG output, RAW if I want it, decent enough IQ (I've made many 17x22 prints that meet my standards). Tried real hard to go Sony here, but I can't stand the output.. Something about Sony colors is just like being starving, but the only option for food is to eat something you really know you don't like.

Grab and Go
Sony RX1RII - Smaller than the Q2 and I like the 35mm. Not kidding myself here though, as soon as the Q3 is announced I'm on a pre-order list..!

Last edited:

KurtKamka

Subscriber Member
I had a P45+ in what seems like a galaxy a long time ago and far, far away. I quickly realized that the whole idea of lugging around a tripod and spending more than 30 seconds in one location just wasn't for me. Since I really enjoyed the look of larger sensors, I gravitated to the S(006) for more mobility and portability. While I really liked the colors from the large CCD (and the lenses), I ended up with a corroded sensor on the S. Sadly, I found out I was out of the S repair window and now my S is a white elephant that occupies a shelf. That effectively ended my confidence in ever gravitating toward another S. I've had an X1DII for the past year and really love the simplicity, interface and portability of the system (and the files are excellent). Plus, compared to anything S, the Hasselblad system is less expensive. For someone who likes to get out and hike with a single camera and lens, the X system is a lot of fun to carry around. With the X system I can use a longer lens like the 135 for compressed landscapes. Because of this experience, I have the X2D on order and will do the upgrade. At the same time, I have had the M11 for the past 4 months. For me, the systems compliment each other in simplicity, color response and portability. After traveling for a good part of the summer, I came away very impressed with just how well the M11 performed for landscapes, street and anywhere else I chose to carry it with me.

med

I am at a similar crossroads and am coming to the conclusion that as much as I love the output of my IQ4-150, I just don't use it enough to justify keeping it around. Over the last 1.5 years since acquiring it, I think my various Leica bodies and my action Fuji XT3 account for 90-95% of my images if not more. If you end up dumping your Leica kit maybe we can work out a trade involving your M11 and my IQ4-150 😀

jaree

TIA for any thoughts...
Based on what you have written my vote is to go for the X2D. Sell the M11 while you can still get a decent price and buy it later if you really miss it after a year or two.

onasj

The reality is that as sensors continue to improve in their signal:noise ratio—especially at high ISOs—and in their resolution, the image quality advantage of medium format over 35 mm format continues to narrow. I enjoy shooting the IQ4, M11/M10M, CFV-II-50c, and Sony a1/a7r4 systems, and it's been true for a while now that for 95% of my shooting needs (landscapes, wildlife, portraits, street, some creative art and macro) that the Sony systems are overall the most capable. State-of-the-art sensors, glass, and best-in-class AF and ergo (at least for the a1) make it very hard to beat:
Sony a1, ISO 20,000, 600 mm f/6.3, 1/500, in a tall tree at dusk in low light with loads of foreground leaves and branches that would fool many AF systems into misfocusing, tracking the wild leopard juvenile's eye
DSC06286sm.jpg

Nevertheless, I really enjoy shooting my Hassy MF and IQ4 when the subject isn't challenging and image quality is paramount. The CFV-I-50c (and soon-to-be CFV-III-100c) is my favorite system to carry around when not on specific photo missions (e.g., when a casual tourist), and the Leica M system is still the most pleasurable to shoot. They each have their own niche for me.

MGrayson

Subscriber and Workshop Member
The reality is that as sensors continue to improve in their signal:noise ratio—especially at high ISOs—and in their resolution, the image quality advantage of medium format over 35 mm format continues to narrow. I enjoy shooting the IQ4, M11/M10M, CFV-II-50c, and Sony a1/a7r4 systems, and it's been true for a while now that for 95% of my shooting needs (landscapes, wildlife, portraits, street, some creative art and macro) that the Sony systems are overall the most capable. State-of-the-art sensors, glass, and best-in-class AF and ergo (at least for the a1) make it very hard to beat:
Sony a1, ISO 20,000, 600 mm f/6.3, 1/500, in a tall tree at dusk in low light with loads of foreground leaves and branches that would fool many AF systems into misfocusing, tracking the wild leopard juvenile's eye
View attachment 196945

Nevertheless, I really enjoy shooting my Hassy MF and IQ4 when the subject isn't challenging and image quality is paramount. The CFV-I-50c (and soon-to-be CFV-III-100c) is my favorite system to carry around when not on specific photo missions (e.g., when a casual tourist), and the Leica M system is still the most pleasurable to shoot. They each have their own niche for me.
And this image could only have been captured by a cell phone. I think everyone is aware that different systems have different strengths.

SrMphoto

<snip>
If you compare the PDR of Nikon D800 (launched 10 years ago) with the latest FF cameras, you will notice that there was no relevant improvement in SNR (difference > 1/2 stops) in the last 10 years. BSI was added to the sensors, which helped with faster readouts, and dual conversion gain was added, which helped a bit at higher ISOs.

onasj

If you compare the PDR of Nikon D800 (launched 10 years ago) with the latest FF cameras, you will notice that there was no relevant improvement in SNR (difference > 1/2 stops) in the last 10 years. BSI was added to the sensors, which helped with faster readouts, and dual conversion gain was added, which helped a bit at higher ISOs.
Yes, BSI and dual-gain conversion to me at least were meaningful improvements, plus the speed of sensor readouts jumping especially with the a1 and Canon equivalent.

JeffK

Since your preference is a colour system, it's a tough choice. For myself, it comes down to an achromatic back and struggling with the pain of choice around shooting with the XF or technical frame. Colour is easy. I have an older iPhone 8plus and have gotten nice 13x19 prints from it.

baudolino

I have been through a similar thought process. Ended up selling my M10R and several M lenses. Finally decided that the "rangefinder experience" is too limiting for me in 2022, especially since most of my shooting is people and I need reasonably fast autofocus and IBIS. This is why I am keeping my SL2 which is my "go to" camera for most location / impromptu shoots with models. Also serves as a great platform for the small number of M and R lenses that I have kept (like Noctilux 0.95 which really shines on the SL2...with focus peaking and electronic shutter...or the 16mm R fisheye which is sometimes interesting to use). I am also keeping my XF with the IQ4 150 back. The image quality is unsurpassed, the files are super flexible. This is primarily a studio camera for me, or when I shoot on location with an assistant or when I just take the camera and one lens. The X2D is tempting and I ordered it. Not sure where exactly it will fit into my workflow so it is more "let's see how I will like this new toy". But I love the ability to sync flash at up to 1/2000s .... combined with Profoto Nikon Air TTL and IBIS. I can see how these features would have helped me in some of my past shoots. If I had to keep only one camera though, it would be the SL2. It does everything I need.