The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Be Careful with Your Digital Backs!!

Massive Si

sorry to read this.

I felt happier with the H series backs, but I have always thought the design of the IQ back was an accident waiting to happen.
Its such a fiddly process to get the back on/off. Initially it feels like it could be done one handed, but then you realize not and needs both hands very close together on the same side of the back - very awkward and makes me nervous every time I mount/unmount the back

docholliday

Darr...we all feel your frustration and initial pain and I have no doubt the majority of us also had photographic mishaps (even me??? :) ) while being distracted or not paying full attention. Its why we are humans (maybe Martians never get distracted?). Of course when you find out the new CFV-50c II has better screen resolution than your previous back, you'll have some gratification from this this accident. I mean it was an unintentional acciident wasn't it :) <ducking for cover>. In the meantime, we should all come up with a caption for the pic you posted as to what happened...something more interesting/inventive than a slip of the hand. Hope this story though has a happy ending at the end of the day...especially we'd miss any interruption to your wonderful inspiring images you regularly post here on Getdpi.

Dave (D&A)
I propose:
"One cracking good back"
"Which VisibleDust solution and swab combination should I use for this?"
"'c' (the speed of light 'constant') fluctuated today"
"Custom-built, 'fine-art' back. Handmade and only $20K. Perfectly matched for your Lensbaby. Be different than the Holga crowd! Buy two and we'll include free shipping on this limited time offer."

Bill Caulfeild-Browne

So sorry, Darr. I feel your pain, having had a P45 back fall off my camera into 2 feet of water - on the very first day of a month-long trip. Since then I've become paranoid, removing the back only when sitting down and not multitasking.
I look forward to more of your beautiful work when you're re-equipped.

tcdeveau

Oooof that is painful to see Darr....the cover for the V-mount makes me nervous for sure. I had a mishap with some of my own gear recently after a night of too-little sleep thinking the shelf to my drybox slides out (it does not....don't ask me how I found out =P).

On the plus side, you are going to enjoy the CFVII. It's a big improvement over the CFV50c IMHO, and you'll have a backup :)
-Todd

darr

Yikes! That is one nasty impact point fracture. Sorry to hear about your "ooops". Your reaction to this is how I look at something like this, "It's a tool and now it's a broken tool". (However, if it was me, I'd probably launched the back and cover across the room simultaneously :)). I'm rough on my gear, but there's those few things (like when a back is off camera) where all time & space halts until the process is complete.

My lab at home has an old round, red safelight mounted on the outside wall above the door. Everybody who comes by know that when that's on, I'm either working with something dangerous or it's a "do-not-interrupt" task. I put it in years ago when I was tightening a screw on my 203 and a friend stopped by, knocking on the door. I looked up for a second to say "hi", slipped with the screwdriver, and shoved it right through the back curtains.

Hopefully, Hasselblad will get the repair done quickly. At least you'll have that new unit to work with to keep up with production!
Doc,
Always nice to hear from you. Now about that 203 ...
And yes, the production line moved a little today using my backup P45, but oh how I miss my Hassy!!

Best,
Darr

darr

Darr...we all feel your frustration and initial pain and I have no doubt the majority of us also had photographic mishaps (even me??? :) ) while being distracted or not paying full attention. Its why we are humans (maybe Martians never get distracted?). Of course when you find out the new CFV-50c II has better screen resolution than your previous back, you'll have some gratification from this this accident. I mean it was an unintentional acciident wasn't it :) <ducking for cover>. In the meantime, we should all come up with a caption for the pic you posted as to what happened...something more interesting/inventive than a slip of the hand. Hope this story though has a happy ending at the end of the day...especially we'd miss any interruption to your wonderful inspiring images you regularly post here on Getdpi.

Dave (D&A)
Ok Dave, no need to duck ... your comment made me laugh and I thank you for that! 😁
I hope the screen resolution is better because I had no intention of upgrading at this time, but fate would have it otherwise it seems.

I like your idea for captioning the photo as it may help others remember this tragedy everytime they think about getting complacent with a digital back in their hands.
Thank you for the kind compliment and I hope other members get some inspiration from my work as I always do theirs.

Best to you,
Darr

Reactions: D&A

darr

sorry to read this.

I felt happier with the H series backs, but I have always thought the design of the IQ back was an accident waiting to happen.
Its such a fiddly process to get the back on/off. Initially it feels like it could be done one handed, but then you realize not and needs both hands very close together on the same side of the back - very awkward and makes me nervous every time I mount/unmount the back
You are so right - two hands all the time!
Thank you for your comment!

darr

So sorry, Darr. I feel your pain, having had a P45 back fall off my camera into 2 feet of water - on the very first day of a month-long trip. Since then I've become paranoid, removing the back only when sitting down and not multitasking.
I look forward to more of your beautiful work when you're re-equipped.
Thank you Bill!
I was shooting with my P45 today and man what a step back in time!
Sorry this post brought up that memory for you, but I am guessing when we use our tools long enough, unfortunate stuff happens!

The CFV-50c cost me $14k a few years ago, and now the new back *only* $6399 !
Took some of the pain away. ;)

Best to you!

darr

Oooof that is painful to see Darr....the cover for the V-mount makes me nervous for sure. I had a mishap with some of my own gear recently after a night of too-little sleep thinking the shelf to my drybox slides out (it does not....don't ask me how I found out =P).

On the plus side, you are going to enjoy the CFVII. It's a big improvement over the CFV50c IMHO, and you'll have a backup :)
-Todd
Hey Todd,
I do believe all it took was a tap from one of the V-mount cover prongs at the right angle for it to happen because I am always really careful with gear since I'm not rich, I'm a commercial photographer!! 🤣 Seriously though, us Hassy V-back shooters gotta watch out for those prongs!

Thank you for the encouraging words about the upgrade.

Kind regards,
Darr

Last edited:

elm

Darr,

So sorry to hear about your back. That said, hope you enjoy the new 50C CFV II! Let us know how you like it and the differences you are finding vs the CFV I version. Thank you.

Fingers crossed that you get your back returned sooner rather than later.

Best wishes

lookbook

... my biggest nightmare!
It's good that you show it so openly here to warn us all how quickly carelessness can happen.

it's good that we all learn from it and that you yourself are doing well anyway.

Exemplary how you deal with the damage darr.

uwe

Photon42

Thank you Stephen!
I was saving for a Fuji R kit, but looks like I am upgrading to the CFV-50c II. The original CFV-50c has been such a wonderful tool for me, I do not know if I will keep it as a backup, or sell it once it is serviced. I definitely will miss out on the Fuji R this time around though. 😔
There is always a better one coming once funds are available again Enjoy your new back. I'm sure you will like it. Maybe a good reason to look out for a XCD 21 or 30 at some point ...

darr

Darr,

So sorry to hear about your back. That said, hope you enjoy the new 50C CFV II! Let us know how you like it and the differences you are finding vs the CFV I version. Thank you.

Fingers crossed that you get your back returned sooner rather than later.

Best wishes
Thank you so much for this!
I will make a post after I have used the CFV II long enough to appreciate the differences! 😁
(I already appreciate the 2-card slot!)

Kind regards,
Darr

darr

... my biggest nightmare!
It's good that you show it so openly here to warn us all how quickly carelessness can happen.

it's good that we all learn from it and that you yourself are doing well anyway.

Exemplary how you deal with the damage darr.

uwe

Thank you Uwe!
There are so many other loses we will face in life, I try to keep my priorities in perspective.
If I had no tools to create with, I could become a miserable person, so I am grateful for what I have.

Thank you again.

:)

darr

There is always a better one coming once funds are available again Enjoy your new back. I'm sure you will like it. Maybe a good reason to look out for a XCD 21 or 30 at some point ...
Maybe a 21 is in my future ....
Thank you!!

hcubell

Sorry about your mishap. I will not admit to how many times my tripod has fallen over with some awfully expensive gear on it. I assume you got the 907x kit with the CFV II back, so you are getting more than just enhanced LCD screen resolution. You are getting a new "camera" to play with that can use V lenses, H lenses and X lenses. Is the User Interface on the old back the same as the new back? If not, you are in for a treat.

darr

Sorry about your mishap. I will not admit to how many times my tripod has fallen over with some awfully expensive gear on it. I assume you got the 907x kit with the CFV II back, so you are getting more than just enhanced LCD screen resolution. You are getting a new "camera" to play with that can use V lenses, H lenses and X lenses. Is the User Interface on the old back the same as the new back? If not, you are in for a treat.

Thank you!
No, the CFV-50c's user interface is nothing like version II.
I will definitely need time to learn all its offerings.

hcubell

You are in for a treat. I think the User Interface on the CFV II is the same as the X1D. It is remarkably intuitive. It is simply the best UI I have ever experienced. I can put my X1D away for a month, come back to it and immediately know what I am doing without rereading a 400 page manual, or worry about inadvertently changing key settings. Some things are your friend, other things you need to wrestle to the ground over and over.