The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Behind the scenes

Greg Haag

Ok Greg thanks for the ideas. If I change the setting to 1/60 or 1/125 that limits me to a single shot and a single flash or however many flash guns are in use. Standard flash shot. I have not tried that at all, only 16 seconds. I will try your suggestion next and take 7 images as I did today and see what happens.
Steven,
Sorry about the delay in getting this done, but I shot and compiled 16 flash images last night to give you an idea about what I was trying to describe earlier. These were shot at 1/125th of a second at f16 and ISO50 under bright ambient light (photo included to clarify). I have also included a single flash image to give you an idea of how I was doing this. The part I am uncertain of is how you take the images and blend together with something other than Photoshop, maybe someone else has a suggestion? There are a few things I did not do on this that I would also normally do, a shot with the head lights on and light the interior and background. I think you could do some really interesting things in your garage lighting a few columns and maybe skimming flash across a wall or two. Also, I added at the bottom the actual image I did for my friends daughter's birthday, it is a bit edgier to suit her taste.
Greg

Ambient light was at this level throughout the shoot, I did remove the black background before shooting the images
5F738853-8EC8-4781-8A5D-EF0122ED9E2F_1_105_c.jpg

Alexs Car2774.jpgAlexs Car Flash v2-Edit.jpg

This is the image lit with continuous light
Alexs Car-Edit-Edit.jpg

Last edited:

spb

Staff member
Thanks Greg. I see the process a bit clearer now from that series of images. It seems that FocusStacker is perhaps not the best of apps to do these things. I will investigate Affinity Photo to do the layers. I think you are doing something else that I did not understand in the beginning. Correct me if I am wrong are you changing your focus spots for each image OR are you only modifying the lighting for each individual shot OR are you changing focus and light for each shot?

Greg Haag

Thanks Greg. I see the process a bit clearer now from that series of images. It seems that FocusStacker is perhaps not the best of apps to do these things. I will investigate Affinity Photo to do the layers. I think you are doing something else that I did not understand in the beginning. Correct me if I am wrong are you changing your focus spots for each image OR are you only modifying the lighting for each individual shot OR are you changing focus and light for each shot?
Stephen, I set my camera to manual and my focus to manual and the focus during the shoot always stays the same. If anything about my manual settings on the camera change it is only the shutter speed, but when I shot with flash, even that stayed the same.

spb

Staff member
Stephen, I set my camera to manual and my focus to manual and the focus during the shoot always stays the same. If anything about my manual settings on the camera change it is only the shutter speed, but when I shot with flash, even that stayed the same.
Good then I had understood that correctly. Thanks for the confirmation.

anwarp

Greg, this is my very first attempt with one Godox AD200 and the XCD30mm. 7 images, ISO 100, F16, 16 seconds. I could have moved forward another foot or so. I like the side view of these 4th Generation Prius's. I still have to nail manual focus better. What other comments would you give. I noticed the mirror casing has received too much light. I am quite happy.
Hi Stephen
If you could block the fluorescent lamps that interfere with some black card mounted on a tripod or light stand, it might help perhaps?
Disclosure: I am only an armchair light painter.

Anwar

Reactions: spb

spb

Staff member
Hi Stephen
If you could block the fluorescent lamps that interfere with some black card mounted on a tripod or light stand, it might help perhaps?
Disclosure: I am only an armchair light painter.

Anwar
And I am only just trying to do something different to keep my interest up in photography whilst the world around us is going mad.

dchew

This is a BTS for my post of this image over in the Technical Camera thread:

I am in Stockholm for two weeks doing some product development at the parent company’s headquarters. With the weekend relatively free, I went down South to Tyresta National Park. I was there in the fall so had the benefit of some beta. Trail was well-traveled so no issue finding my way in the snow. The hike was ~4 kilometers, 8 total. Greg’s Subaru above might have made it easier.

I walked along the West side of the lake during the day, then turned back to the South end for sunset looking North. Here is a 2-stitch pano (18mm L/R) with the Rodi 138mm from the West side of Årsjön lake:

There is a rock hill at the South end of Årsjön that provides a nice elevated view (as everyone who has photographed with me knows, I tend toward the highest vantage points :rolleyes:). This was the setup for a 2-image stitch with the back in portrait and the Rodi 138mm, much earlier in the day.

Here are two of those stitched images from a few minutes before and after the original sk60 image. I kept moving between here w/ stitched 138mm and the other spot 20 feet to the left w/ sk60xl. I suspect the sk60 image is better, but the last one below feels colder and more isolated. It reminds me of the jumping jacks I did while waiting for the sun to set.

The STC shifts 18mm, so that produces a 5x7 stitched image with 4mm overlap in between. I find that enough overlap to do a simple “reposition” stitch in PS. The Rodi 138 handles the required 96mm image circle @ 287mp with ease. Those were shot at f/9 to keep island and background in focus.

This trip served as a reminder how much I love the STC because it is just so right for me when hiking like this. Everything I need and nothing I don’t. It all fits easily in the f-stop small pro ICU.

Dave

Last edited:

Greg Haag

This is a BTS for my post of this image over in the Technical Camera thread:

I am in Stockholm for two weeks doing some product development at the parent company’s headquarters. With the weekend relatively free, I went down South to Tyresta National Park. I was there in the fall so had the benefit of some beta. Trail was well-travelled so no issue finding my way in the snow. The hike is ~4 kilometers, 8 total. Greg’s Subaru above might have made it easier.

I walked along the West side of the lake during the day, then turned back to the South for sunset. Here is a 2-stitch pano (18mm L/R) with the Rodi 138mm from the West side of Årsjön lake:

There is a rock hill at the South end of Årsjön that provides a nice elevated view (as everyone who has photographed with me knows, I tend toward the highest vantage points :rolleyes:). This was the setup for a 2-image stitch with the back in portrait and the Rodi 138mm, much earlier in the day.

Here are two of those stitched images from a few minutes before and after the original sk60 image. I kept moving between here w/ stitched 138mm and the other spot 20 feet to the left w/ sk60xl. I suspect the sk60 image is better, but the last one below feels colder and more isolated. It reminds me of the jumping jacks I did while waiting for the sun to set.

The STC shifts 18mm, so that produces a 5x7 stitched image with 4mm overlap in between. I find that enough overlap to do a simple “reposition” stitch in PS. The Rodi 138 handles the required 96mm image circle @ 287mp with ease. Those were shot at f/9 to keep island and background in focus.

This trip served as a reminder how much I love the STC because it is just so right for me when hiking like this. Everything I need and nothing I don’t. It all fits easily in the f-stop small pro ICU.

Dave
That is a great behind the scenes Dave, thank you for taking the time! It looks SO COLD AND ISOLATED, glad the trek out after dark went ok.

dchew

That is a great behind the scenes Dave, thank you for taking the time! It looks SO COLD AND ISOLATED, glad the trek out after dark went ok.
Hi Greg,
Yeah, no problem walking out. I had a headlamp but never needed to turn it on; I much prefer walking by twilight if at all possible, and it really is a well-traveled park. Six layers on while I waited for the sun to set, then back down to four on the hike out. Oh, and I'm with Bernie when it comes to mittens vs gloves. :)

Dave

diggles

Here is a behind the scenes of a recent studio lighting shot. I posted a very similar image in the Fun With MF Images 2021 thread, it basically looks exactly the same, but there is a difference. This one was taken with the Schneider APO Digitar 120mm Macro and the other one was taken with the Sinaron Digital 120mm Macro. They both use the exact same setup.

Hasselblad CFV II 50c + Cambo Actus + My first shots with the Schneider Digitar 120mm Macro @ f16. For fun and practice.

_HBLD-2524-2528-Digitar-2080px.jpg

Most of the light is from bouncing 2 bare bulb heads into the 4'x8' white gator foam panels. An additional head was pointed directly at the back speaker with a little light spilling on the front one. Photoshop was used to illuminate the power indicator lights.

IMG-0112.jpg

I was also testing out shooting tethered to Phocus, but the connection to the camera was getting dropped each time the computer went to sleep. On the surface, that problem seems like it should be an easy fix, but I'm saving that one for another day.

Greg Haag

Greg,
you got a lot closer to the edge than I did, and, as a result, you got a much better image
stanley
Stanley, there is a railing in a small section and I was behind that, only my camera was in any real danger. However, there were several young people that were just a slip away from going over.

rdeloe

It's possible this is the second (or third?) selfie I've ever made....

Rob in the swamp.jpg

This image is part of a series that explores temporary streams in southern Ontario.

I had to clear a small opening in the vegetation to reveal the source of the water that flows in a small intermittent stream that drains into the nearby Speed River. These temporary streams are nameless, and you won't find them on maps. Nonetheless, they're a small yet crucial part of the water cycle. The rest of the series is here: Nameless streams.

DSCF0705.jpg

med

This image is part of a series that explores temporary streams in southern Ontario.

I had to clear a small opening in the vegetation to reveal the source of the water that flows in a small intermittent stream that drains into the nearby Speed River. These temporary streams are nameless, and you won't find them on maps. Nonetheless, they're a small yet crucial part of the water cycle. The rest of the series is here: Nameless streams.
Thanks for the link. Very interesting series and read. That cedar forest, along with the area surrounding Hanlon Creek on the east side of the Speed, was one of the best discoveries we made during the pandemic. It has quickly become one of our favourite places to walk in the area. You captured the area beautifully!

rdeloe

Thanks for the link. Very interesting series and read. That cedar forest, along with the area surrounding Hanlon Creek on the east side of the Speed, was one of the best discoveries we made during the pandemic. It has quickly become one of our favourite places to walk in the area. You captured the area beautifully!
I appreciate the feedback, especially from someone who has walked in that forest too. Thanks!

I love this place. On one hand it's just a 2nd or 3rd growth scrubby cedar wetland. It's not going to make anyone's list for destination travel to scenic landmarks. But it's special to me because I've lived next to it for almost a quarter century. During the pandemic I've been in those woods almost every day. I call it "nature therapy". Photography has taken me into every nook and cranny in the search for new ideas, new pictures, and new projects.

Reactions: med