The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Behind the scenes

P. Chong

how does the final image look like?

This is the Fotodiox Rhinocam Vertex (Mamiya 645 mount version) in action with a Sony a7C 24 MP FF back. Shown rotated to the final 4th frame position (starts in normal landscape orientation and is rotated CC 3 times for each subsequent shot. Yields a 62 MP final image after stitching the 4 shots.

Makten

Most of my photography is carried out while riding bicycles, both on roads and trails. This requires a minimalistic approach with a small bag that only fits the camera with one or maximum two small lenses, and if I need a tripod it has to be a tiny one. Most people would probably choose a smaller camera, but I'm now so used to bringing the GFX that it's not a problem.
Today I took a little ride on gravel roads. It was +2°C, no wind and foggy. The sun sets at 2:45 PM, so I had to bring the tripod, which I have attached to the fork of one of my bikes. It snaps into place and only takes a few seconds to mount and unmount, which is necessary, because if I have it on my back, I often won't bother with using it at all. For the same reason I use either a waist bag or a Mindshift backpack where I can reach the camera without taking the bag off.

Here's the setup...

_DSF1153_fb.jpg

I'm not much of a landscape/nature photographers, and have difficulties finding scenes that I like. So mostly I search for "large details". Like this simple pattern of spruces just beside the road...

20211211_135921_fb.jpg

And the result...

_DSF1148_fb.jpg

Next up was a large, lonely tree in a field. I liked the bend in the road in the background and settled for a simple composition after a bit of thinking and walking around the subject...

20211211_142139_fb.jpg

Not the most exciting image, but with less than exciting weather, I'm pretty pleased anyway. I think I'll return with a longer lens some day. Now I only had the little GF 35-70/4.5-5.6...

_DSF1152_fb.jpg

Thanks for watching! :giggle:

P. Chong

wow! What an inspiration! Love what you have done with your gravel bike. I carry almost nothing with me on my rides.

How do you attach the tripod to the fork? What tripod and head is it?

Most of my photography is carried out while riding bicycles, both on roads and trails. This requires a minimalistic approach with a small bag that only fits the camera with one or maximum two small lenses, and if I need a tripod it has to be a tiny one. Most people would probably choose a smaller camera, but I'm now so used to bringing the GFX that it's not a problem.
Today I took a little ride on gravel roads. It was +2°C, no wind and foggy. The sun sets at 2:45 PM, so I had to bring the tripod, which I have attached to the fork of one of my bikes. It snaps into place and only takes a few seconds to mount and unmount, which is necessary, because if I have it on my back, I often won't bother with using it at all. For the same reason I use either a waist bag or a Mindshift backpack where I can reach the camera without taking the bag off.

Here's the setup...

View attachment 190054

I'm not much of a landscape/nature photographers, and have difficulties finding scenes that I like. So mostly I search for "large details". Like this simple pattern of spruces just beside the road...

And the result...

Next up was a large, lonely tree in a field. I liked the bend in the road in the background and settled for a simple composition after a bit of thinking and walking around the subject...

Not the most exciting image, but with less than exciting weather, I'm pretty pleased anyway. I think I'll return with a longer lens some day. Now I only had the little GF 35-70/4.5-5.6.

Thanks for watching! :giggle:
[/QUOTE

Makten

wow! What an inspiration! Love what you have done with your gravel bike. I carry almost nothing with me on my rides.

How do you attach the tripod to the fork? What tripod and head is it?
Thanks! The tripod is a Benro Traveller with 22 mm diameter legs and four sections. I don't think it's produced anymore, but they have similar "flat" tripods that take up very little space when folded. However, there is no middle column and the legs can not be folded out further than what you see in the images, so not good for stuff very close to the ground.
The head is a Benro B00. Both are way too small for the camera, but it works if it's not windy and with smallish lenses.

The attatchments on the fork are two tool holders where I only used the clamp, which acts like a spring. I've put some plastic hose on them and when the outer legs are folded in snugly, it's really sturdy. I've ridden rough trails with it, with no rattling around what so ever.

20211123_211151_fb.jpg

Edit: As I mentioned, I also bring the GFX when riding trails with mountainbikes, and then there is no room for the tripod. In that case I use an Evoc Capture 7L waist bag and only shoot hand held. Such as here with the GF 45/2.8. In this particular case I attached a small flash diffuser on the light, to get more photo friendly spread. Without it, there is too much of a hot spot.

_DSF1002_fb.jpg

Last edited:

Makten

Today I took the bus a few stops and walked home through a nearby nature preserve. It was wet and cold, but the colors were for some reason very bold.
When not being restricted by my bikes, I bring the larger tripod (if light is gonna be low). A Leofoto that extends to my eye level (I'm 185 cm) without a middle column, but since it's only three sections, it's pretty lightweight at ~1.9 kilos with 36 mm ball head. Overall it's a nice, not overly expensive product that is good enough for most people.

Here it is with only two of the sections out...

20211212_145536_1500.jpg

In my previous post I mentioned the Mindshift bag. I have two of them, but mostly use the larger one (that is still pretty small, 22 L, I think). The great thing with these bags is that you can rotate the camera compartment around your waist and reach the camera without taking the bag off your back. I wouldn't call myself lazy, but if I have to put down the bag on the ground to get the camera, I definitely stop less often to shoot. The upper compartment is also larger and is therefore perfect for non photo specific use, when you still want to bring a "real" camera. I use it every day since I almost always have the camera with me.

20211212_133618_1500.jpg

I brought the GFX 50S II and three lenses; the Mamiya 645 80/1.9 and 210/4 (in the image above), plus the GF 35-70 for "what if" moments. But my plan was to mostly use the 80. I don't like the focal length, but actually that's why I brought it. It's good for creativity to use the "wrong" lens sometimes.

Here's the 210 in action. The image ended up a bit boring though, so I won't show it. Worth to note is the quick release clamp on the head. I love this thing as it makes settning everything up a bit faster. And I generally don't like tripods, so that's good. It can also rotate independently of the ball, making panos more accurate since the rotation is always perpendicular to the camera level. The L bracket is from Smallrig and seems to be good value. Nice machining and great fit, as well as an adjustable part for the vertical clamping. There is even a little integrated screwdriver to tighten the bolt!

20211212_135516_1500.jpg

So, about the results? Well, as usual I hated every single image when I started viewing them at home. I always do for some reason. But after a while some of them starts to look at least not totally awful. And maybe later one or two are not too bad. This time none reached a level of satisfaction, but I didn't expect that either.

Here's one with the 80 @ f/2.8. I have chosen a profile/simulation ("classic chrome") with a bit muted colors to get rid of the worst Fuji mega über saturated greens. 😁 It didn't turn out at all as I wanted it to, but it'll do for an unplanned walk with no specific goal.

_DSF1184_2048 1.jpg

Next time I will probably only bring one lens; the 63/2.8. Also not my prefered focal length, but it forces me to work harder. Which is good. (y)

Edit: I hope you don't mind the "blog" format of these posts. Perhaps a bit lengthy?

ShaunQ

A few BTS from a recent trip to New Zealand from Australia, got stuck there 4 months, never a bad thing! Hard not to shoot panoramics everywhere you go.

P1-BTS-1.JPG

P1-BTS-2.JPG

P1-BTS-3.JPG

Haven't had time to process pics yet, but stitched this one up, Lindis Pass in August...

LindisPano-2.jpg

MGrayson

Subscriber and Workshop Member
First, let me say how much I love this thread. It is inspiring and frequently jaw-dropping in both the setup and the results. Thus, I mean no disrespect to the dedicated photographers who post here.

It's a bad sign when someone starts off that way ....

Leica S3, Zeiss 250/5.6 Superachromat. Both pics are 4 second exposures. Soup can stay still!

You can see how impressed he is at the quality of the equipment trained upon him. He's clearly thinking "That's not an IQ4 150."

"Yeah. Nothing worthwhile here. Back to sleep."

Matt

Last edited:

Godfrey

Here's the setup...

View attachment 190054
Very cool! I like your tripod mount system... :)

I also do a lot of cycling and have been doing a lot of photography off the bike, concentrating on using minimal camera systems (usually the Leica CL with at most a couple of lenses). I have a small backpack I use when doing this ... you're inspiring me to experiment further. I *think* I can fit the Hasselblad 907x with a lens (or two) and the Peak Design Travel Tripod into my Wotancraft Easy Rider sling bag or my small cycling backpack. Time to pull out the gear and see what fits... :D

G

oh yeah: my ride...

Salsa Beargrease custom-build in Alviso 2021

Makten

Had nothing better to do than taking a little bike ride this evening. This time I wanted to check out how the construction of a new bridge was going. This involved a pitch black, slippery trail to get down to the water, with only my "street" light on the bike. Still no wind, still no need for the heavy tripod.

20211213_185223_2048.jpg

Ironically, now when I'm viewing the results I see that the above phone image is a much more interesting composition with the ice at the bottom. 😂 Oh well, I'll return with a wider lens and redo it...

_DSF1190_2048.jpg
Fuji GFX 50S II + GF 50/3.5 @ f/5.6 – ISO 100 – 40 seconds

I tried both with and without a didymium filter and settled for the shot without filter. The sodium lamps got too muted and there wasn't much "natural" light to preserve anyway.
By the way, I lied in my previous post. Didn't take the GF 63/2.8, but the 50/3.5 instead. But I kept it at one lens only! :sneaky:

Makten

How to use medium format stuff while riding bikes; partially tounge in cheek, of course. All images from earlier today...

#1: Choose a small lens and put the camera in the Evoc waist bag. Plenty of room when the tiny Fuji GF 50/3.5 is mounted, as you can see. Without removing the divider, I can bring the GF 30, 45, 50, 63 or 35-70. I could bring a second lens or a larger lens without the divider, but I prefer tools and puncture repair stuff. 😁 I also like minimalism and don't feel the need to be able to shoot "everything".

20211218_144529_2048.jpg

#2: Fit the tripod to the fork, if it's likely that light will fade before you're done. Which it will during winter in middle Sweden, especially since I seldom get out before noon. Then head out without a specific goal.

_DSF1284_2048.jpg

#3: Enjoy the ride and keep eyes open for nice scenes or interesting things along the road. You never know what you'll come across! Rotating the waist bag onto your belly, you are about three seconds away from having the camera in your hand.

_DSF1281_2048.jpg

#4: Oh, I forgot. If you are shooting a Fuji camera, measure white balance before every shooting session. Auto is always completely off, so I use a white balance lid on the lens. Can't be forgotten and at least gets you in the ballpark.

20211218_144426_2048.jpg

Also, the Peak Design strap lugs let you ditch the camera strap. No need when the body is either in the bag, in your hand or on the tripod.

#5: Sooner or later you'll find something that requires a bit more work. Something that could be the image of the day. Take your time, view the subject from every angle. Set up tripod if necessary. Or if it makes you compose better. I don't like tripods but they certainly help me slow down.

20211218_143720_2048.jpg

Yes, the tripod is silly tiny. Yes, it still works perfectly fine for a relatively hefty camera as long as the wind isn't too bad or the lens too long.

#6: Don't do a zillion versions of the same subject. They are more likely gonna suck if you can't decide beforehand what you really want with the photo. Admittedly, I did three versions this time, but the first was the only reasonably good one.

_DSF1286_2048.jpg

#7: It felt good? You done? Good! Now you can ride on and enjoy the lovely, wet and cold december sunset that occurs several hours earlier than anyone could ever wish for. Maybe stop at a small lake and listen to the ice cracking.

_DSF1291_2048.jpg

Now your toes and fingers are probably very, very cold, so better get home soon. Continue without lights until you barely see the road (closed to traffic in my case), just because it's nice to meet the darkness. Switch them on when you get to the main road and watch out for icy spots! No studded tires this year.

Thanks for watching... 🌛

Last edited:

MGrayson

Subscriber and Workshop Member
How to use medium format stuff while riding bikes; partially tounge in cheek, of course. All images from earlier today...

#1: Choose a small lens and put the camera in the Evoc waist bag. Plenty of room when the tiny Fuji GF 50/3.5 is mounted, as you can see. Without removing the divider, I can bring the GF 30, 45, 50, 63 or 35-70. I could bring a second lens or a larger lens without the divider, but I prefer tools and puncture repair stuff. 😁 I also like minimalism and don't feel the need to be able to shoot "everything".

View attachment 190249

#2: Fit the tripod to the fork, if it's likely that light will fade before you're done. Which it will during winter in middle Sweden, especially since I seldom get out before noon. Then head out without a specific goal.

View attachment 190243

#3: Enjoy the ride and keep eyes open for nice scenes or interesting things along the road. You never know what you'll come across! Rotating the waist bag onto your belly, you are about three seconds away from having the camera in your hand.

View attachment 190244

#4: Oh, I forgot. If you are shooting a Fuji camera, measure white balance before every shooting session. Auto is always completely off, so I use a white balance lid on the lens. Can't be forgotten and at least gets you in the ballpark.

View attachment 190248

Also, the Peak Design strap lugs let you ditch the camera strap. No need when the body is either in the bag, in your hand or on the tripod.

#5: Sooner or later you'll find something that requires a bit more work. Something that could be the image of the day. Take your time, view the subject from every angle. Set up tripod if necessary. Or if it makes you compose better. I don't like tripods but they certainly help me slow down.

View attachment 190247

Yes, the tripod is silly tiny. Yes, it still works perfectly fine for a relatively hefty camera as long as the wind isn't too bad or the lens too long.

#6: Don't do a zillion versions of the same subject. They are more likely gonna suck if you can't decide beforehand what you really want with the photo. Admittedly, I did three versions this time, but the first was the only reasonably good one.

View attachment 190245

#7: It felt good? You done? Good! Now you can ride on and enjoy the lovely, wet and cold december sunset that occurs several hours earlier than anyone could ever wish for. Maybe stop at a small lake and listen to the ice cracking.

View attachment 190246

Now your toes and fingers are probably very, very cold, so better get home soon. Continue without lights until you barely see the road (closed to traffic in my case), just because it's nice to meet the darkness. Switch them on when you get to the main road and watch out for icy spots! No studded tires this year.

Thanks for watching... 🌛
A perfect example of what this thread is for, IMHO. Bravo!

P. Chong

Interesting...what is the bellows system and lens used?

I do a lot of abstracts and semi-abstracts. This is a BTS of two separate setups and a final composite image.

This was the setup for the first image.

This is the set up for the second image.

The two image composite.

P. Chong

Fabulous! I also get out in the morning, about 9:30 or so for my 2-3 hour ride, almost daily. But my ride is mainly on the road, and its usually very hot in Singapore...but will try, though, doubt I will be strapping my Gitzo on my bike anytime soon...lol.

p.s. I generally find the AWB on my GFX 50S II to be ok though...I seldom redo the white balance in post.

View attachment 190249

View attachment 190243

View attachment 190244

View attachment 190248

View attachment 190247

View attachment 190245

View attachment 190246

Thanks for watching... 🌛

Makten

p.s. I generally find the AWB on my GFX 50S II to be ok though...I seldom redo the white balance in post.
Strange! In direct sunlight my camera wants to choose ~4500K, which is also the same as "daylight" according to Fuji. Real daylight is ~5500K, so it's not even close to correct.
I had the exact same experience with the 50R. 100% useless. 😁